1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal charges - significant amount of $

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Nystul, Jun 20, 2008.

Just wondering how other deal with this issue ?

I do a lot of dealings via Paypal, and the charges from paypal ( when others send money to me! ) is becoming more significant these days.

Like when someone send me 180, i get charged about 6.50 ! wow, thats alot of money, can easily hit a few hund a month!

How do others deal with this ? charge it to ur customers ?

Nystul, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  2. ceaseer

ceaseer Peon

Best Answers:
    Fees to collect money is cost of doing business. For a long time I only accepted payment by mail (check/money order). Soon as I finally decided to jump on the PayPal bandwagon my profit triples because of increased sales despite having to eat the fees.

Increase your sales price of your product by 4% to cover the fees. If they pay with check offer them a discount.

PayPal is still cheaper for a small business compared to renting a terminal, paying monthly maintenance, and if your sales are low your fees will probably be higher than paypal.

ceaseer, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  3. me4you

me4you Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you receive 400$ then have to pay 15.90$ to paypal,i paid 17.00$ to paypal today ;)

me4you, Jun 20, 2008 IP
    microbrain likes this.
  4. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I use other payment processor

mentos, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  5. toycat

toycat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    but they're not as popular as paypal.

toycat, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  6. microbrain

microbrain Banned

Best Answers:
    If all the charges get 10% of the total amount then I'll still use paypal .. it's the best payment processor .

microbrain, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  7. jmg

jmg Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing much to say here I guess, except that business is business.

Did you try with your own bank and open ecommerce credit card. Most of the banks can offer you something...

Jean-Marc

jmg, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  8. Electro-Host

Electro-Host Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PayPal is a business. They need to make profits as well.

Electro-Host, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  9. slogold

slogold Peon

Best Answers:
    all payment processors have some fees that you have to cover but you can always increase the fees for this % ad give discount for payments where you do not have such fees

slogold, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  10. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is option called "mass pay" if the sender used mass pay option to pay you ,then u won't be charged and sender will be charged $1.

getjimmy, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  11. Tori

Tori Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have a business account or a personal account? To avoid fees I have both a business account (in my husband's name) and a personal account in my name. One will accept credit cards and the other will not. I send both paypal address to a client when requesting payment. This way they can pay depending on their choice of payment type. My personal account does not charge me a fee for incoming funds.

Tori, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  12. workfromhome11

workfromhome11 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think all processors that are safe and good will have fees... That will never change... Even offline processors charge and to be honest my cc processor at my company charges WAY more than paypal so I can't complain too much.

workfromhome11, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  13. GLucas

GLucas Active Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, PayPal is quiet cheap. Take a look at payment processors such as 2CheckOut.com, they charge like 6.6% plus .50 or something around there. Every payment we get through them gets quiet a huge fee. We're looking to move to CDGCommerce quiet soon.

GLucas, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  14. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal is a for-profit organization and they do have bills and employees to pay. They are pretty much not a charity.

I supposed that if you do not think that the few percentage that you paid to paypal for each sale is worth the while or that you are not making profits from your customers more than what paypal makes from you then look for some other solutions.

In business there is always costs and you need to 'reward' those who help you. Do you think that if you do not use Paypal, you would have made that $173.50 in the first place ?

I am paying a lot more than what you are paying as I am using Plimus.com which can be as high as 15% but it is the peace of mind and I am very sure that if I do not use them, I would not have made money over the internet so there is really nothing to complain on my part.

eddy2099, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  15. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    PayPal is cheap compared to the alternatives and has no monthly or set up fees.

If you are paying a few hundred a month in fees that means you have sales of over $10,000/month! Congratulations! :)

tobycoke, Jun 20, 2008 IP
    eddy2099 likes this.
  16. saurabhj

saurabhj Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah I am completely agree with you EDDY. After all business is business and PayPal is not a charity ;)

saurabhj, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  17. pary07

pary07 Active Member

Best Answers:
    the reason we hate these processing fees is that we don't want to part with our hard earned money...it's in our unconscious mind..that if I earn $100, I deserve the right to have every penny of it. The same reason we don't like taxes and so on...

pary07, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  18. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the insights.

Nystul, Jun 22, 2008 IP