1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need to establish my web design maintenance rate.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by wishmaster22, Jun 17, 2008.

Just trying to figure a fair price for me and the clients.

What rates do you guys charge?

Do you charge hourly, and by the job?

Thanks

wishmaster22, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  2. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Depends. If you show me an example of a site you've coded, I could value it better. If you just do designing, I have little idea, but I normally charge around $70p/h for code + $60 for a design.

blueparukia, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  3. thebrokenbox

thebrokenbox Peon

Best Answers:
    I usually do around $60 for a one page layout coded + $10 for every extra page layout.

thebrokenbox, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  4. wishmaster22

wishmaster22 Banned

Best Answers:

it is all html nothing special, I did 7 sites that are copies of each other with different store locations. Charged $225.00 each .

Here is one of them mfgbozeman.com

Like I said nothing as far as great design, but thats what the customer wanted.

wishmaster22, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  5. blueparukia

Best Answers:
    Not the design I was worried about, it was the quality of the code.

6 errors on HTML 4.01 Transitional

Table based, paragraphs on everything and depreciated tags such as <font>

Reeks of Dreamwearver, Frontpage or Web Expression

blueparukia, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  6. MyMaddenPad

MyMaddenPad Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe he's just starting. One thing that you probably need to fix is the Contact Us link has an extra "mailto" on it.

Keep doing your thing. We all have to start somewhere.

MyMaddenPad, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  7. wishmaster22

wishmaster22 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks man, I just asked for help and no a bashing.

It is dreamweaver - correct spelling.

I guess everyone has to write code from scratch, or is it really taboo to use dreamweaver?

Thanks for the heads up on the contact us link :)

wishmaster22, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  8. blueparukia

Best Answers:
    That's fine. If you are just starting, you are free to use Dreamweaver - but not on other people's sites.

Dreamweaver outputs what is commonly referred to as bad code. Bad code is, as the name implies - bad. Around half of Dreamweaver's sites will not work crossbrowser (and the ones that do use ttables where unnecessary), most are invalid, and all of them use bad code.

Anyone redistibuting their sites "has to". Though most don't. These people are called wannabes, or else went to college where some professor who never had anything to do with the website business taught them to use Dreamweaver.

I'm not trying to bash you, believe me - I really am trying. But the very mention of the words "dreamweaver" and "professional grade tool" makes me punch stuff (literally). And am hearing it waaay to much lately.

If you have already wasted your money on Dreamweaver, then completely forget it has a design view, and switch to code view, learn semantic, valid HTML or xHTML and then start professionally.

For security, professionalism and so you don't get spammed, I'd really recommend that you change that to a PHP file.

blueparukia, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  9. fusiongt

fusiongt Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used Eclipse and Dreamweaver, and if you're just handcoding HTML/CSS Dreamweaver works fine (but like people mentioned, use the "View Code" method). I used Dreamweaver like that at my last 2 jobs and I currently use it at my LLC business so yes it's a fine program. Just don't substitute the WYSIWYG design view with the code view... it's a shortcut to learning HTML, but if you're serious about web design then you should learn it.

fusiongt, Jun 19, 2008 IP
  10. wishmaster22

wishmaster22 Banned

Best Answers:
    I do see your point blueparukia, and I am really picking on a vibe that you really don't like Reamdreaver :)

I will try looking at it from your point of view and see if I can provide cleaner code in the future.

What would be the holy grail of checking code for validity after I design it by hand. Does foxfire has a plugin that will verify? What should I use to detect bad syntax and the like?

Thanks for the reply... Thank you as well fusiongt.

wishmaster22, Jun 19, 2008 IP