1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please help me increase my extremely POOR CTR!

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by wokaka, Jun 16, 2008.

Hi, i need some help. My adsense site is this: http://www.bestlaptopz.com. I also try to make money from amazon affiliate. But my CTR is very poor, only around 1.7% last month and this month my average CTR even is only 1.4%. As you can see, i do not agreessively put the adsense ads because I want to increase my bounce rate. But i'm ready to change my adsense placement if this tragedy continues. Please review three of my web pages:
    1. http://www.bestlaptopz.com (home page, i removed most adsense ads in home page to increase my bounce rate but I wonder if I put adsense ads in home page, will it dramatically increase my CTR?)
    2. http://www.bestlaptopz.com/dell-laptops.html (inner web pages, please review my adsense ads in this web page)
    3. http://www.bestlaptopz.com/alienware/alienware-area-51-m15x.html (my article web pages, please review my adsense ads in this web page as well!)

can somebody tell me how to increase my CTR? Anyway, forget to tell you, my main traffic comes from Google. 80-85% from google, more than 85% new visitors every day, so it should be quality traffic. I have almost no traffic from social bookmarking sites and also from other sources. So i think my CTR should be much better, and yes, i have used competitive ads filter since last month.

*ps: if you reviewed these 3 of my web pages and tell me what should I do, i will appreciate your efforts and probably give you green rep if you really help me. Thank you people!

wokaka, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  2. wulawula

wulawula Banned

Best Answers:
    wulawula, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  3. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, hope you will find my following suggestions useful:

1. Use CrazyEgg. This tool records the clicks of your visitors on a page so that you can study where are the hot areas. I have achieved a 50% increased of CTR after using it.

2. For your home page, try to place a horizontal link unit on top of the page under the header, 'BestLaptopz.com - All About The Best Laptop Computers'. Leave some margin above and below the ads to ease eye movement.

3. For your second page, remove one of the ad units and replace it with a horizontal link unit. Test them out and see which combination work best.

4. For your third page, remove the vertical banner. Skyscraper rarely works nowadays.. use a medium box ad format that floats (left or right) around your content instead.

At the end of the day, use tools like crazyegg to track the effectiveness of your ads and optimize from there. It is also a must to use Google channels so that you know which are the ads that are performing.

All the best!

KC TAN, Jun 16, 2008 IP
    chandan123 likes this.
  4. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    is it allowed by adsense tos to track clicks ?

nice info +rep added thanks

chandan123, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  5. johnnie

johnnie Peon

Best Answers:
    The one piece of advice that worked gold for me: place a rectangle below your title. Since your title grabs attention, you will have the reader's focus as soon as you present the ad :)

johnnie, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  6. moneymakerster

moneymakerster Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi
    You have a nice site! Anyway, My CTR far away higher than you:p I'll PM you the "secrets". If success buy me a beer:D

Tips: only 2 types of ads format you need (never use horizontal format, believe or not is up to you)...The color of the ads ....Please try not to use "blend" because if your ads is relevant, they will click. ...

All inside the PM. Cheers

moneymakerster, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  7. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, perfectly fine. We are not modifying their codes in all case.

KC TAN, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  8. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for these great tips. I have implemented your tips, let's see what happen in the next 3 days :D

wokaka, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  9. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for these great tips. I have implemented your tips, let's see what happen in the next 3 days :D Rep added

wokaka, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  10. basketmen

basketmen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    from me now :

- ad link unit in the top, below title is good enough, its like navigation, people will click it

- i dont like adsense in the bottom alone, from my experience people will ignore it, rarely get clicks, prove it with your adsense report, use channel

basketmen, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  11. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    hey, i have added the horizontal link unit in all over my websites, but these "navigation links" are not working, not in my first day. My CTR went down from 1.4% to 1.2%...i have followed all the tips, well, let's see what happen tomorrow

wokaka, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  12. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have taken the first step to success. Never stop testing :)

Now, monitor the results for the next few days and if it is not working. Place the top horizontal link unit on top of your header rather than below it.

As for your third page, I would suggest to remove the ad's (floating right) border.

KC TAN, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  13. senty4love

senty4love Active Member

Best Answers:
    try to avoid link units (as u need 2 clicks to earn money:) ..use rectangle without border (just blend it in your content)

senty4love, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  14. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    i have received one PM, he suggest me to add link unit. Then KC TAN also suggest me to add link unit, so I added it. But let's see what happen.

wokaka, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  15. chizarium

chizarium Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely try using the square ad unit (250x300?) and place it directly in the middle of your page somehow, exactly at eye level. Also take into consideration the most popular screen resolution of your visitors (usually 1024x768) when figuring out the positioning of your ads.

chizarium, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  16. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you want Adsense on homepage, I don't see any place where you can fit wothout making teh site ugly. You can place a vertical link unit on the right sidebar between site navigation and laptop products with matching borders to the menu..

On the single pages.
    Remove the rectangle.
    Your site design doesnt suit it.

Instead put one on the right side of the specification.. a 250X250 square should look great there..

About link units, they are the best paying ads I have on allllllllll my sites..

Blogspotter, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  17. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for reminding me about the rectangle box in article pages. I have changed it like blogspotter told me. Anyway, my earlier experiment was failed miserably as my CTR didn't improve at all :( Now I will change the ads placements again!

wokaka, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  18. Blogspotter

Best Answers:
    Try the link unit.. They would work wonders since your side bar is not cluttered..

Also there is place for a rectangle on the right right, outside the main.

19. Blogspotter

Best Answers:
    Please remove the horizontal link unit .. Horizontal Links look good on specific theme designs.. It is sticking out very ugly in your theme

For your site, I suggest putting a vertical one on the right hand site, just above the laptop products.. Make it look like your menu.. Put a channel and Track it too..That would be the best place for CTR..

And rotate that square with both text and image.. I guess u have only image... of course it is showing very relevant Images :)

And on the home page.. thw two units side by side.. I suggest putting image ad on one of the ads.. so that there will be text ads next to an image ad :)

wokaka likes this.
  20. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey blogspotter, i think you're right. My CTR (after yesterday I changed the ads placement) has increased but only up to 1.75% CTR. Wow, need more changes I think, i would change everything like you told me. +1 rep for helping me.

wokaka, Jun 19, 2008 IP