1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

do you monetize your blog immediately

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by countolaf, Jun 14, 2008.

guys do you monetize your blog early? when you set up one, do you milk it from the start or you wait for your blog to get some exposures first and traffic? I have made a blog post about this on my blog but seriously i want to know your takes on monetizing blogs early or not?

countolaf, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  2. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    You can put in the adsense or other affiliates from the start, I don't think it will be harmful, but it will take sometime before you still seeing the money as your blog needs time to grow and be indexed.

From the start, it isn't wise to worry about monetizing your blog, it would be far better to concentrate on getting good content. You will find that with good content comes good traffic and hence good money.

wisdomtool, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  3. mintblogger

mintblogger Peon

Best Answers:
    There are two approaches. One is to monetize it aggressively from the very beginning.

If your long term goal is to get steady income from your blog, then do not monetize it from the beginning . first build your core readership and later on start to put ads.

mintblogger, Jun 15, 2008 IP
  4. zeldaze

zeldaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, you got my problem spot on here. I have just started my blog and I am considering to place some Adsense on it but I really don't think it will have any effect on my site as of yet. Hence I have left it ad-free for the moment. Interesting post, I will definitely be doing some more research on it!

zeldaze, Jun 15, 2008 IP
  5. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    It would be difficult to monetize at the very beginning.

1. You need time to create content
    2. You need time for site to get popular

Both points to the need to take a longer time perspective if one hopes to make money from blogging. No matter how aggressively you try to monetize at the beginning, it will be more or least futile.

wisdomtool, Jun 15, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  6. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to wait until at least 50 pages indexed and real traffic starts coming in :)

Tom Thumb, Jun 15, 2008 IP
  7. zeldaze

zeldaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting concept. I will wait and do that Tom Thumb and see how it goes!

zeldaze, Jun 15, 2008 IP
  8. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    I waited for my site to hit a PR3 before monetizing it, and I dont mean link selling/buying stuff. Its a matter of satisfaction and I felt that is the right time to start monetizing.

godsofchaos, Jun 15, 2008 IP
  9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I get about 10 posts up, get it indexed, get some backlinks then add advertisements.

Ive learned that in most cases its best to concentrate on the content.

pipes, Jun 15, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  10. altyfc

altyfc Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO blogs take a while to gather momentum. Whilst you can monetize from the start, the probability is that it won't bring significant income early on. That being the case, I think it makes sense to monetize later and make a blog ad-free in its early days, in order to help it grow.

altyfc, Jun 15, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Makes a lot of sense, plus if your submitting to directories and have none or very few ads it will increase the chances of approval in some stricter directories.

pipes, Jun 15, 2008 IP
  12. SEO-Expert

SEO-Expert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As long as you don't go over the top with maximum AdSense ad units, 50 different affiliate programs and a dozen pop ups/pop unders all on one site a reasonable amount of advertising shouldn't hurt a site long term.

I always add AdSense (3 content ad units per page, I never bother with the search ones) right at the start, mainly because I'd rather get on with creating more content/sites than keeping track of when it's time to add AdSense etc...

Other ways to make money depends on the site and how I plan to gain traffic when I add it, all my traffic is organic from search engines, but some sites won't generate many organic links, so I don't try to gain links for those, instead use existing sites to link in. Those sites I aggressively monetize.

Some are saying that it's not worth monetizing early, I disagree. With AdSense alone it's not hard to make a dollar a day from a relatively new site. A dollars not a lot of money, but if you miss a dollar a day for 3 months that's $90 missed for no obvious gain.

You also miss out on valuable data as to how your site performs. I'm always changing a sites content based on how it's doing money wise.

David Law

SEO-Expert, Jun 16, 2008 IP
  13. manHa

manHa Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, at the very begining.

manHa, Jun 16, 2008 IP