1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tricks to Improve WebDirectory traffic and Earnings ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by cchetanonline, Jun 14, 2008.

Hello webmasters,
    recently i started a WebDirectory

It is having PR 3 ! and Regular links are Free .

But still submittion rate is very LOW :(

Can you please tell me was to popularized own directory
    i created a Thread at Solicitations & Announcements
    also added link in my sig .

But still just one Link added
    and my Directory is almost Empty :(

Please help me to get traffic ,
    also Give me any link where i can submit my directory to Directory submitter SOFTWARES.
    Good answers will get rep+ :)

cchetanonline, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  2. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It seems to be a dropped domain, so pluggin the PR is worthless, the design does not line up properly with ie6 so maybe check that nd i suggest lots and lots of home work by reading as many threads here as you can.

DownUnder, Jun 14, 2008 IP
    cchetanonline likes this.
  3. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    List it over at directorycritic.com

swedal, Jun 14, 2008 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  4. cchetanonline

cchetanonline Banned

Best Answers:
    1st of all i would like to tell you that
    THE DOMAIN IS NOT DROPPED

You can doits WHOIS and check it creation date
    Its 1 year Old site, i was using something else on the Subdomain , but now using it for directory as it got the PR

ICANN Registrar: DYNADOT, LLC
    Created: 2007-06-13
    Expires: 2009-06-13

and about design, PLEASE send me screenshot , so that i can correct the error as it is looking fine here, and thx for this info that it is showing wrong design , i will try to solve it asap

SUBMITTED :D thx

5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Adding 1 listing to each empty category, list it in all directory lists, directories of directories, in sig links on directory and webmaster forums, blog about it, make something about it stand out, run a special promotion on it.

Should help increase your traffic a bit, will hopefully get you some listings and cash.

Keep maintaining it, find a way to get repeat visitors, not easy but not impossible.

Dont copy everything that everyone tells you about getting traffic otherwise they wouldn't be here or have the time to tell you, all that most, including myself can do is regurgitate recycled old info but the best way is by finding some other way (not easy) basically i wouldn't tell you if i had a great way to make cash and get good traffic because id be shooting myself in the foot but i wouldn't expect you to either.

Im still searching for the traffic and regular business to my directories that would satisfy me, its really not easy, honestly the best ever idea you get for this will come from yourself.

Keep searching, sit down with a pen and paper in the evening, away from your computer and think of something that not everyone else is doing to try and get what you need.

Then when you find that answer, really dont share it with anyone, otherwise we will all steal your customers from you. :)

What i suggested above wont bring you any magic but it will bring mild improvement, for significant improvement it takes significantly more.

pipes, Jun 14, 2008 IP
    deluxdon and cchetanonline like this.
  6. cchetanonline

cchetanonline Banned

Best Answers:
    One sentence for all your post

" AMAZING THINKING "

Really you encourage me to think (usually i dont think too much :) )
    but yes you are right in all the way , we have to develop our own power to think and to get the real ideas in every matter even in generating traffic or studing a hard subject or managing girlfriend, and sharing a knowledge is Good , but sharing WHOLE knowledge with everyone is really not good idea, and it cause problem for yourself ;

So , i am just owned one directory , but i will work hard on it to me its PR as high as possible

and i think you are owner of PHPLD , are you ?
    i was not in mood to invest money in directory software so i used eSyndicate Free version.

after earning some money i will buy one liecence for new directory domain and will use PHPLD as i seen many guys are using it

pipes likes this.
  7. BWC

BWC Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a good start, (I added a site by the way). There are so many general directories now, that this will be a struggle. So many general directories have been created just for the purpose of selling submission services, you will have lots of competition.

Promote your site here in DP, in the free section, and the Directory Solits and announcements section. Use promotional terms like SEO friendly, free submission, no backlink required, fast approval and such in the title and body of the threads & keep them active by additonal posting.

Start hanging out in other webmaster websites where you can do the same thing, it is going to take promotion, promotion & more promotion to get the unique content you will need to succeed. Like I said, this is a start.

Another choice might be to contact a couple of the posters who provide the bulk submission services to start getting additional entries, but this will increase the spam.

Promote all of terms and more on the site itself, so that you might show up in the search engines when webmasters are searching for seo friendly, free, fast approval, do-follow links.

I wanted to add more sites, but I wanted to see the approval on the first one before I spent the time.

Thanks!! PS, I do not have any directories at the moment, so all this advice is only IMHO

BWC, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  8. cchetanonline

cchetanonline Banned

Best Answers:
    One more very Good post , Thanks you sir,
    Actually i stared this directory bcoz i have seen many webmasters owned a web directory , so why i cant ? :)
    thats why i just installed that script on my server to check hows the directory script , but i just liked that and i planed to start our new directory, but problem was PR Domain, so i deleted my previous work on that subdomain and stared Directory on that,
    so i am not in mood to compete with any webmaster , i just giving a platform to webmasters to get backlinks, as you can see i just posted very small banner (adsense) on my site , and nothing so big to get clicks on it .

and yes i am planning for that now, contacting the directory submitters, to include my directory in there service.
    and thanks you have given me Good keywords to include them in my Keyword tag :) (the Bold letters)

Your links are approved , within Hr :)
    i am providing very fast approval rate

9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I like your outlook, i agree too its good to share the general info with each other, i hope you find something really good, meanwhile you will be able to increase traffic and everything gradually.

I dont own phpLD, only a user of it, but i like it, the sig link is rented.

Its a good idea using a free script first that way you get to test it all so good thinking to see how you get on with something.

Wishing you success with your directory. :)

pipes, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  10. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    The major thing you can do is get listed an all the various directory lists out there.

freelistfool, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  11. BWC

BWC Peon

Best Answers:
    WOW, all my submissions approved almost as fast as I could submit them, EXCELLENT!! I will submit a few more sites later.

I did not try, do you accept "deep links", links other than to the root of a site? If you do, you can promote that also.

Thanks!!

BWC, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  12. cchetanonline

cchetanonline Banned

Best Answers:
    Ohh, so you are not owner of PHPLD, np
    and yes , thats why Script owners used to give Free demo or Free Scripts b4 buying the Full versions, Thank you very much :)
    and Good Luck,

Yes I do accept "DEEP LINKS"
    and as i told you my approval rate is HIGH !:)

Ohh yes
    i will do it too
    thx for tip :)

13. elben

elben Peon

Best Answers:
    I just submitted 2 humor sites.

elben, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  14. floppydrivez

floppydrivez Peon

Best Answers:
    Some of these tips are good for starting to promote your directory at a very junior level. I am afraid anyone here who has really valuable tips is not going to give them up easily. It is much more work and harder to come by than most sites. Their are some ups and downs to it though, possibly a blog post about some of those soon.

First off, it is something you should realize is going to take what seems like forever. To truly stand out in the crowd it is going to cost you time and money. I would guess in the first year of promoting your directory you can expect to keep 10% of your earnings or less. If that doesn't sound interesting to you, then your directory will be just another directory and only add to the overwhelming difficulty of others establishing their selves as a true industry leader.

So here are my tips, free or paid, as a part of some of the methods listed above. Set a quality standard and try your best to maintain it while continuing to add content on a daily basis. Start a blog and write your interest, design unique features to help distinguish you from others such as tools etc, and constantly critique your directory to provide the best long term solutions for your project. You should be able to evolve any conversion and traffic tactics to benefit your overall schema. I suggest sitting down and writing out a detailed plan (or set of goals) and over the next year doing your best to succeed. As you learn that plan should start to grow stronger and stronger if you measure your victories and defeats.

floppydrivez, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  15. cchetanonline

cchetanonline Banned

Best Answers:

Yet another beautiful post

Yes Planning does matters, actually my Post Graduation is Going on, my planning are not fixed due to college timings , (currently holidays :D)
    so i need to plan between my studies and my love (webmastering) (still no girl friend :( )
    so your words are really help full to me in matters of planning and blogging too

16. trademark714

trademark714 Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks i submitted my sig and a REal estate site.

trademark714, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  17. karmadir

karmadir Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    My advice to you is to change your website title,it seems to be longer than 65 characters.

Write One paragraph introducing your directory.

Do Link Buillding

Introduce your site in directory forums like ( directory owners and directory maximizer)

Social Bookmarking

Try these steps.

I am sure traffic to your site will increase

karmadir, Jun 14, 2008 IP
  18. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to do something to make your directory different to the ten (or hundreds) of thousands of near identical directories that populate the web. By having all those empty categories and relying on submissions to populate the directory it will never be a useful resource. At best it will become a destination for automatic and semi-automatic submission programs, and paid submission services and the occasional webmaster seeking an infinitesimal drop of link juice.

However rather than build a solid directory you seem to looking for some cheap tricks, so here is one. Perhaps if you infect it with a good dose of Directory Spongiform Encephalopathy by listing it on lots of other directories and you can become part of the alternative reality that is the directory industry and you can spend your time discussing with other directory owners how marvelous each others directories are , and advising every one who will listen that they should be submitting to directories because that is smart SEO.

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 14, 2008 IP
    DownUnder likes this.
  19. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would seriously reconsider trying to monetize your directory with ads from blueadvertise(dot)com. I was going to add your directory to my directory list, but was redirected after all those ads loaded up in the iframe. If I got redirected, then it is highly likely others are as well. This would explain your low submission rate. People can't submit if they are getting automatically redirected to some unrelated site.

snowbird, Jun 15, 2008 IP
  20. cchetanonline

cchetanonline Banned

Best Answers:
    Ohhh, so that ads are redirecting my traffic ?
    If so i will remove that ad as soon as possible Please let me know,
    and thanks for this info :) waiting for your answer related.

yeah, i am searching for some good title, i will do some experiment to get better serp
    and thanks for those tricks

yeah, i am trying to make my directory different from others , doing lots of link building , and abt submiition ,actually my directory was new thats why i opened all doors to get listing on my directory , soon i will keep few restrictions on it

cchetanonline, Jun 15, 2008 IP