1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Still worth submitting to DMOZ????

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by keywordguru, Apr 17, 2006.

Is DMOZ still even accepting people into their directory? Or is it still the corrupt place it was? Or Even worse? Just wondering before I put the leg work into the submission in a competitive field.

I know the whole submit and be patient, sometimes resubmit, or other times even consider tipping off the editor via paypal. I've followed since DMOZ was a respected place.

Anyone get in recently or attempt to be included?

keywordguru, Apr 17, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    If what you wrote are your true feelings about DMOZ why do you wan't your site to get listed?

pagode, Apr 17, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  3. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    since it takes all of 15 seconds to complete, I would say there is really no loss to you trying.

ServerUnion, Apr 17, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  4. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well that's a stupid question... because Google results still weigh DMOZ listings heavily.

If it weren't for that no one would bother submitting a site and waiting months/years to be listed.

GeorgeB., Apr 17, 2006 IP
  5. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with ServerUnion.

Exactly what I was thinking when i read the Title of this thread :)

iatbm, Apr 17, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  6. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's worth submitting your sites to Dmoz, because the site still gets a reasonable amount of traffic, just don't get your hopes up about having your submission accepted. I don't think I've managed to get a site listed there for at least three years, possibly longer, and not getting any feedback on submissions leaves me in the dark as to whether I've not given a good description of the sites or whether the editors just can't be bothered to look the submissions.

pwaring, Apr 17, 2006 IP
    sidjf and compostannie like this.
  7. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can tell you that giving a bad description will not hinder the site being listed. In over 1 and 1/2 years of editing, I can honestly say I never accepted one single description as suggested by the submitter. Most submitters cannot write a guidelines compliant description. The latter would be the most likely reason it has not yet been listed, if in fact the site is listable according to guidelines. The most common reason is that no editor has actually reviewed the site yet. I hope this helps. :)

dogbows, Apr 18, 2006 IP
    ryan_uk and sidjf like this.
  8. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    Dogbows spoke the truth when she said that. :) However, a bad description might delay the site's getting reviewed.

Editors can skim the submitted titles and descriptions for sites waiting for review in a category. When I (as a senior editor with directory-wide access) visit an unfamiliar category (which I might do for any of a number of reasons), skim the list of submitted sites, and see a site with an interesting and well-written description, I often am tempted to visit that site (and list it). :cool:

On the other hand, if the submitted description is in ALL CAPS, is nothing more than a long string of keywords, or is otherwise drecky, I am unlikely to give that site a first glance. ;)

Before you castigate me for that comment, I'd like to insert a reminder:
    Dmoz is not an advertising service, but rather is a directory of internet information. Editors are volunteers who edit for their own amusement -- not to help webmasters make a profit. No editor owes you a review of the site you submit.

orlady, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  9. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well if it is for information purposes you are definetely not doing your job !

A lot sites are listed that are junk and a lot of i know are pending for long time that are pure and rich informational sites mentioned even in schools etc... obviously dmoz is above all ....

iatbm, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  10. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    And just what job would that be? There are no jobs. It's a hobby [plain and simple] for volunteers who enjoy categorizing websites. Nothing more, nothing less.

There are millions of rich informational sites pending all over the internet with more going up each day. If you are looking to see all of them in the directory by all means don't hold your breath.

dogbows, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  11. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    what is categorizing websites .... job, work whatever you want even hobby you are simply sticking to some stupid word like it is important

What is important is that you categorize a lot of junk and uncategorize a lot of good quality sites

don't get offended it is not like that categorizing is your real job ;)

and man what is with all that colors?

iatbm, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  12. dealsway

dealsway Peon

Best Answers:
    Our friends have submitted our college website few months backs and its till not approved.
    Even few friends applied to become a editors and still they are not approved to become editors.

so not sure whether its possible for good sites to get into DMOZ anymore?

dealsway, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  13. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Offended? Hardly. I was just trying to inform you that the directory is not and never will be a listing service for webmasters. :D

Ummm. You mean all that color in your signature? ;)

dogbows, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    But it seems it works perfectly fine as listing service for adult editors affiliate pages. ;)

gworld, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  15. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    [QUOTE="gworld] But it seems it works perfectly fine as listing service for adult editors affiliate pages. ;) [/QUOTE]

Raise your hand if you saw that coming...

1, 2, 3...117, 118...*gives up counting*

sidjf, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  16. pachecus

pachecus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I get one of my sites listed in 15 days.

pachecus, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  17. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    You got it, Dude! ROFL!

dogbows, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    118? :confused:

Isn't the number of adult editors about 130? ;)

My postings are just the consequence of the problem in adult section, if you want it stopped, you know what you can do, just clean up that section from abuse. ;)

gworld, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  19. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    It's no secret that there are many more submissions to dmoz than the all-volunteer editor community can process. It's unfortunate that there apparently are no editors interested in your college.

Dmoz welcomes new volunteer editors who are committed to helping to build a useful information resource and who show that they have appropriate capabilities. Unfortunately, many people who request editor accounts are not accepted. :( There are a variety of reasons for rejection. One common reason for rejection (which might apply to your friends) is that the application has basic errors in writing the language of the category. Many people whose first language is not English seek editing privileges in English-language categories, but unless they are especially fluent in English they are more likely to be accepted into the World category for their first language. If there is no World category for a particular language, chances are that http://dmoz.org/Test/World/ includes a category-under-construction for that language. With the involvement of a savvy volunteer (ideally one who also has a working knowledge of a language such as English, French, Spanish, German, or Italian), those categories often can be "fixed up" pretty quickly and moved into World. :cool:

orlady, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  20. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Has anyone ever suggested you might have an unhealthy obsession with the DMOZ Adult section gworld? It will make you blind you know. ;) I've been reasonably critical of well most things about Adult really, but pleeeease let us have some threads clear of those issues! Pretty please. Pretty pretty please. :)

brizzie, Apr 19, 2006 IP