1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site not ranking well at all! Got worse since a site overhaul

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jpf566, Jun 11, 2008.

Well I have to say I don’t understand how SEO works…I thought I had a decent grasp of it….but the horrible SEO results for a website that I have recently launched seem to say otherwise. The website, which we have launched about a month ago is Sheffieldfurniture.com. The previous website had VERY little text, most of the wording were Jpegs… There was very little content in the site. We totally changed the site to what you see now when you go to our home page. The updated site has a large amount of content, title tags, alt tags and folder names that are all relevant to the content and the keywords that we would like to rank well in. The frustrating and confusing thing is we have gone DOWN in our rankings, we have “dropped off the map” completely it seems! I have even made a HTML, XML and TXT site map and submitted them to google…I really don’t know what else is needed… Is it just a matter of time? Will google totally drop your old standings if it sees that your website has completely changed?
    the keywords that I would like to rank well in are (Stickley, Henredon, Hickory Chair, and other main furniture brands that we display) Thanks for your help guys, I need it!

Jon

jpf566, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  2. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, it's not uncommon to disappear from search results after a major overhaul of the web design and out layout and structure. I would give it a few weeks and see if they come back, make sure to use Google Analytics to track any inbound traffic from search engines. If you need any help just send me a private message after that time.

This is your first post?

astup1didiot, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  3. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    This happened to me when i re designed my website, they went "sour" for a couple of days then came back after the search engines had crawled my site for a few days. I would not worry too much about it yet.

willyboy104, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  4. jpf566

jpf566 Member

Best Answers:
    yah :( but its been like a month for me...From what I understand the AGE of your website gives your credibility and makes your site of higher quality according to Google....Does that go by your URL or your site? Because my site is totally diferent...different naming system different page names and everything.

jpf566, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  5. SEOSpeakS

SEOSpeakS Banned

Best Answers:
    PM your URL , i will take a quick look on your website.

SEOSpeakS, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  6. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    Start building some links to your site for the keywords you're targeting. You might want start with some easier keywords like "Malvern Furniture", "Stickley Furniture in Malvern", plus the other major cities around your location. You can gain some experience in what link building techniques work then use those to go after more competitive keywords.

freelistfool, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  7. jpf566

jpf566 Member

Best Answers:
    I have heard alot about link building and I understand that it is important to have relevant high quality links linking to my site from other web sites. My question is how do I "build links"? Do you mean within my site? or do you mean by talking to other webmasters.

jpf566, Jun 12, 2008 IP