1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Microsoft Silverlight

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by DMS, Jun 11, 2008.

Microsoft has some fantastic marketing campaigns and advertisements that claim that Silverlight is the future of the Internet as we know it but I don't see any websites (besides their example sites) that are actually using the technology.

From what i understand it is supposed to provide best of the best medial rich website experience in that it can combine video elements with programming functionality.

What - If anything has anyone seen out there? Are there actual sites using this technology? Are there any developers that can add something or point to examples where Silverlight goes beyond what Flash action scripting does today?

DMS, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  2. camp185

camp185 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just go to Silverlight's website. They, at least used to a week ago, had site examples where you could see it in action. For those of you that don't know about Silverlight, you might want to find out. It's going on every HP machine soon. I have heard estimates of 18 million machines in a year time.

camp185, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  3. briteguy1227

briteguy1227 Peon

Best Answers:
    Silverlight is kids stuff to me, just like any other micros$ft product. They are trying to make it easy for rich media, but, in fact, for hardcore developers like me, it is nothing more than a junk piece of software.

I still like linux based development where you can have full power.

briteguy1227, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  4. DMS

DMS Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The plug-in / software / drivers are already available on new Toshiba Satellites but that is not news... that is like your computer coming with Flash drivers or adobe acrobat reader installed. It is not an operating system or anything earth shattering... Just another driver...

DMS, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  5. DMS

DMS Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What type of applications do you program? Do you have rich media applications hosted / programmed on your Linux servers?

DMS, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  6. Salsa_Boy

Salsa_Boy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm interested in the technology, not just enough time to know more about it.

Salsa_Boy, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  7. TheSA

TheSA Member

Best Answers:
    I went to their site, and its all about creating with silverlight, I cant find anything about WHAT THE HELL it is. link anyone?

TheSA, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  8. DMS

DMS Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMS, Jun 12, 2008 IP
    Halobitt likes this.
  9. DMS

DMS Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the description - that helps..

Have you used it? Or know any sites that are using the technology yet?

Perhaps they are waiting till more computers ship with the plugin pre-installed & developers get up to speed before going main stream with it - it looks prommising...

DMS, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  10. tinner666

tinner666 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't know it if I went to a site like that, I don't believe. All my flash, media, and animations are turned off. :eek:

tinner666, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  11. DMS

DMS Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    :D - I'll bet you can surf around a lot faster than the rest of us without all the clutter were dragging around. You just might start something there...

DMS, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  12. Corpse

Corpse Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is Flash is legacy and has so many years of developments and a huge number of developers working for it. SilverLight is very new and so untill and unless its really widespread you can't know what are its real prowess . Even MS has not implemented it fully on all of its sites, they are still upgrading them. and one thing that you will feel is that even after installing FlashPlayer you tend to know the flash objects as they tend to behave like external objects in browsers like Opera and IE, which is not the case with silverlight. So after installing Silverlight you may not even feel that you are on a silverlight enabled website as it integrates beautifully with browsers.

Corpse, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  13. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just because it's something new. And it's something really promising.
    The great deal with it is that it fits perfectly with .NET code, so .NET developers don't need to learn a new language like Actionscript, to apply it in flash.
    With Silverlight, ASP.NET developers will have a integrated tool for animations and rich media for their webpages, using the same language and the same technology.

Just wait for a couple of years, and you will see it more and more adopted and with much more features than now.

Yankee85, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  14. aathuls

aathuls Peon

Best Answers:
    The silverlight provides vector graphics, and video playback capabilities of Windows Presentation Foundation.

aathuls, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  15. Project Mobius

Project Mobius Peon

Best Answers:
    not gonna beat Adobe Flex, yea i'm a fanboy and my site uses it too

Project Mobius, Oct 28, 2008 IP