1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory for Webmaster Resources

Discussion in 'Directories' started by fcmisc, Jun 11, 2008.

Hi,

I've started work on a directory for webmaster related resources, and was hoping to get some feedback on the category structure. It is here:

http://dir.dawjee.com/

I have tried to design the category tree from the viewpoint of a webmaster, rather than lifting it from something like dmoz.

I'm also accepting submissions, though the site may be up/down as the layout gets rethemed.

Cheers,

fcmisc.

fcmisc, Jun 11, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.
  2. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Should have posted this in announcements like everyone else has to.

JamieG, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  3. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I’m looking forward to see your finished theme.

Sent you a “Seo” site too review.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  4. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    mikey1090, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  5. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Brian,

I approved it, but also moved it to the directories category.

Regards,

Jon.

fcmisc, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  6. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Great.
    Submitted few of my sites
    Thanks.

MeetHere, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  7. floppydrivez

floppydrivez Peon

Best Answers:
    Adsense is annoyingly placed. Maybe it just stands out to much. When I scroll, I want it to blend so well that I don't even notice it is there.

I do really like your template and I think you have a solid start on your categories.

floppydrivez, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  8. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Ah well, seeing that he got away with posting in the wrong area I'll offer some advice anyway. Template looks crap, google immage is huge, a good seo image would have yahoo etc in it as well. google ads look crap, you have to scroll down an age to even get to the directory itself. Page Isn't valid as the button on the bottom claims, I got 14 errors. Internal pages not done (Is this under construction? Recent queries is a bad feature, you can put down all sorts of profanities in that search and rivals probably will. Either get a good ban list going or get rid of the gimmick. I would have recommended you get rid of the phpld referall as well, it does you no favours, or won't when you've done your design. Stay away from bad neighbourhoods.

Having said all that, good luck.

JamieG, Jun 11, 2008 IP
    fcmisc likes this.
  9. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Give the chap the a break Jamie he only just started. The directory in your sig has been going for 8 years and it is still full of empty categories.

Also the fellow is not making bizarre claims like being the "internet's primary Family Safe Searching system", and having an "army of volunteers".

Fcmisc in your first post you made it clear that it was a work in progress and you have made a solid start. A niche directory is one way that you can create something that can be truly useful without large resources of your own. I would suggest that you should concentrate on finding sites from all sources, not only submissions as the best sites often are not the submitted ones I hope it works out for you.

And good for you, its great to see something original. The fellow who was so scathing of your efforts in the previous post seems to work for a directory that was happy lifting vast chunks of its directory structure from dmoz.

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 11, 2008 IP
    fcmisc likes this.
  10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Needs more adsense.

hehe :rolleyes:

an0n, Jun 11, 2008 IP
    fcmisc likes this.
  11. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You logo takes up way to much real estate on the page. And I would suspect you are violating Google's copyrights with that image.

YMC, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  12. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Dmoz has been going for ten years and is STILL full of CRAP. It seems you have some kind of mission to try and discredit cantufind, it won't work thus wasting your time. The one benefit of having empty categories at the moment is they are being re-reviewed from old stock and will be re-populated under our terms not because you keep on trolling about the fact, it won't take long to put this right either. With your beloved dmoz its so full of trash in the tens of thousands, because of this prolonged bad housekeeping your never going to rectify this hence the reason dmoz is doomed.

Now do yourself a favour, stopp trolling its getting tedious. :rolleyes:

Notice you've not once managed to get me to raise to the bait of retaliating. Reason: Your not in my league. :rolleyes:

JamieG, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  13. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Jamie, this is nothing to do with DMOZ. Its about a self proclaimed directory big shot (you) dumping on some poor guy who had the misfortune of sharing his directory at digital point while it was still a work in progress.

That you bristle at my encouragement for him to build an actual resource rather than make a quick buck is not surprising. If you are to continue to wear your directory expert hat then perhaps you might recognise that an eight year old directory that is nearly devoid of listings, is perhaps a sign that said directories interests lie with revenue generation rather than creating something that can be used to find sites.

And if you think that pointing out the absurdity of the "internet's primary Family Safe Searching system" and "army of volunteers" claims is trolling then perhaps it is time to put the directory expert hat away for good.

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  14. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    ok I like the template but 3 things you need a home button to go back to the main part of the directory and the link to phplinkdirectory would look better in the footer and 3 make it look like your main site by adding the side column other than that your off to a great start

jminscoe, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  15. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:

JamieG, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  16. S4M4

S4M4 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just submitted a site but I wasn't able to see a confirmation page, don't know if there's one so I'm confused.

S4M4, Jun 13, 2008 IP
    fcmisc likes this.
  17. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow six questions Jamie.

Answers
    (1)no
    (2)As a Internet consumer (one of those who use the Internet) 15 or so years, as a an editor in various directories attempting to create resources of benefit to the Internet consumer 9, as a directory customer about 6.
    (3)No I do not hate directories, in fact I rate good directories very highly. These include many niche directories and perhaps 10-20 general directories.

It is the ODP not the opd by the way. And for you information I think that the ODP has had its day, it once was an innovator, now it is an anachronism and that if the current changes being instituted do no radically revamp the community and content management then it is doomed. I would love to see a new innovative direcory that started the next generation of direcories.

I detest hyped up pay for inclusion directories that only exist to rake money off webmasters on the false promise of a significant boost in SERPs, they are an abomination of the word "directory". I don't necessarily include you in this, its just some of your claims make me wonder.

(4)Sure. I encouraged this guy. Didn't see a lot of encouragement in your post.
    (5)For you to climb off your high horse and apply a little reality to what you are saying.
    (6)I see that you draw the line at lying to people. If I were to ignore your claims of being the "internet's primary Family Safe Searching system" perhaps I would be lying by omission.

Let me give you an example of my motivation. The other day I had a phone call from this fellow trying to get me to upgrade my listing in his directory. Now I have a tiny website which is little more that a business card, it ranks in google very well for key terms, but only gets a hit per day if I am lucky. This bozo tried telling me that his directory sends me 500 customers a year. This is a complete lie, when confronted with the lie he continued on undeterred. When I told him he was a f*cking thief and what he was doing was no worse than walking into my house and stealing a TV set he said "do you want me to send you the information on the upgraded listing or not"

Most people would see that this fellow and his directory was a little shit of the first degree. What I see with many pay for inclusion directories on this forum and others is a little more subtle but really no different to the guy who phoned me the other day.

Perhaps the reason you wind me up so much Jamie is that you seem to be seeking to legitimize these snake oil merchants.

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  18. altyfc

altyfc Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted one URL but wasn't sure if I had to reciprocate.

If I don't have to, I've got several other resources I could send for listing...

Thanks.

altyfc, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't wind you up, you do that to yourself. Ref: all the rest of the crap you posted, stop tarring all with the same brush, and for goodness sake stop harping on about cantufind, ask politely via p.m of the plans and I'll happilly consider telling you what's happening, or you can just visit each day where within a short period you'll see some movement.

Snake oil merchants? I think if you bothered to do your homework I'm the biggest hater of them, end of story. You really need to get to know me before casting aspertions and formulating opinions. ;)

JamieG, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  20. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    You asked me some questions Jamie, I answered them honestly, now your are getting all snotty because I answered . That used to be something they taught in law school Jamie, don't ask a question if you don't know what the answer is.

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 13, 2008 IP