1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need some info on DMOZ

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by mixke, Jun 9, 2008.

I purchased a DMOZ listed domain. Everything was okay! domain was listed in DMOZ and was never announced on any forum.I changed the nameservers and completely forgot about it. Site was not up and still not up and the domain is not cached atm.

Now, when I search for it on DMOZ.....it shows me the listing along with the category BUT when I go to the category where the domain is supposed to be listed, I'm not able to see it.

So, what I want to know is has some editor deleted the domain? Or what? As search result shows me the listing, category but the domain is not shown on the category page? Or you think it could be because of the cache?

Any information on this is highly appreciated. Looking forward to some info!

mixke, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  2. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    It's not that strange if that domain was dropped because domains use to lose DMOZ listing and pagerank afterwards.

It you bought that domain from someone else, he/she might have received a warning stating that such domain didn't longer match the category in which it was listed, then removed by editors after your purchase.

A friend of mine received such warning after buying a DMOZ-listed domain and he had to update his content to match its original DMOZ category and avoid deletion.

Trusted Writer, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  3. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So, it has been dropped/deleted from DMOZ? When I search about domain on using whois then it still says that the domain has 1 DMOZ listing?

I wish I had recieved anything like that. Would have responded in a flash....it was a good domain. Damn!

mixke, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  4. laughingeyes

laughingeyes Active Member

Best Answers:
    Restore the content, as close as possible to the original one, and then submit the site to the exactly the same category, with the exactly the same description.

In the description field, put something like this at the bottom:
    //NOTE TO EDITOR: my site was dropped due to downtime during the hosting change. would you re-include it again.

laughingeyes, Jun 9, 2008 IP
    mixke likes this.
  5. poodle

poodle Peon

Best Answers:
    They have an automated bot that searches for domains no longer running - this flags for admin of the cat and boom they remove.

poodle, Jun 10, 2008 IP
    mixke likes this.
  6. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    I think that you can email them regarding this question. I believe you will get your issue solved soon.

~ServerPoint~, Jun 10, 2008 IP
    mixke likes this.
  7. cchetanonline

cchetanonline Banned

Best Answers:
    Purchasing DROPPED Domains is really risky
    PageRank, and many other status are re-stored by allmost all sites

DMOZ will surely remove your site if it is not with same content as specified by its category ,
    If you buy the Domain which is listed in DMOZ then you must keep its niche same as it was to maintain its Listing

Best way to search at http://web.archive.org/ and restore its previous status and e-mail to DMOZ

cchetanonline, Jun 10, 2008 IP
    mixke likes this.
  8. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yea! I also believe they have some 'bot' thing or script to look for domains that are not being used anymore.

Thanks guys! I believe it'll be tough to get into DMOZ as they take tooooo much time but I will try to create a site like before and re-submit. Hopefully, they'll add it.

Thanks again! If you've more sugegstions then keep em coming ;) :)

By the way, what do you think - they'll take same time i.e. ages to review the site or it'll be fast?

mixke, Jun 10, 2008 IP
    cchetanonline likes this.