1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MySpace Advertising?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by boohlick, Apr 13, 2006.

Does anybody here has a great success in myspace advertising? does it really gives you great traffic? never use this kind of tactics.

thanks ;)

boohlick, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  2. ScottBannon

ScottBannon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, and yes. What you have to keep in mind though is that most of the traffic will be people under 21 years old. If you have a site that fits into the teen/young adult market then you can certainly do well spreading the word about it on myspace. If you're pushing subscriptions to AARP magazine then you'd be wasting your efforts.

One odd thing I've noticed also, even if your site is targeted to this demographic, the visitors aren't quick to join or participate in forums. I think that's strange since myspace is all about community, but it hasn't been the case from what I've seen.

For example, I recently helped my brother build a movies/entertainment site and have been promoting it at myspace. The traffic has been great, visitors are using the entire actual site and hitting tons of pages, yet very few are joinging his forum there. I really expected myspace users to be more likely to participate in forums then what they've been. He's even giving away free gift cetificates for movie tickets from Fandango to forum members and still very few from myspace register. They bookmark the site, lots of them have been repeat visitors, but little interest in forums.

HTH,
    Scott

ScottBannon, Apr 13, 2006 IP
    teammatt3 and ravetildon like this.
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I've had good luck with Myspace. Of course, I started out focusing entirely on music publicity (for my PR firm) and I use it to drive traffic to my company's music webzine. So, because I'm marketing heavily to bands, it's extremely effective for me. I can't speak to using it in a more general sense though.

Jenn

jhmattern, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  4. ScottBannon

ScottBannon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One other thing I've found (in my own experience) which may or may not be generally true is that 'paid for' bulletins give poorly low results. Instead, create your own account and build your friend's list with actual other myspace users. It seems to me like those who 'sell' bulletins have huge friend's lists, but most of their friends are probably other marketers and webmasters who sell bulletins too instead of actual myspace users who may visit your site. I could be wrong about this, but I've seen more traffic from a bulletin posted by an honest account to a few hundred real users then I did from any of the paid bulletins I tried through people who have thousands of friends. Though in fairness, I did get some results from the paid ads and they were reasonably worth the price, I've just seen better results from free bulletins posted by non-marketing myspace users.

Another good technique I've found is advertising on 3rd party myspace related sites. I haven't paid for much advertising on other's sites, but I did purchase a good myspace resource site that ranks high (top 5) for tons of related myspace search terms and it's become a fountain of traffic for me, so I assume other similar sites are good advertising as well. Probably because the traffic to these sites are real myspace users looking for resources, not marketers and webmasters fishing for traffic.

HTH,
    Scott

ScottBannon, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  5. gotalkmoney

gotalkmoney Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using myspace for a while and I usually find a group and target those people in the group. I figure if they're in the group, they like the topic. Most of the time, I use my program and send out about 200-400 friend requests a day. I usually get about 50-60 views day from that. Of course, it could be higher/lower depending on what your topic is.

I've also found that the trains are useless. People that join or are looking to add, just click add and go on with their lives. They never seem to look at the myspace profile.

gotalkmoney, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  6. froghat

froghat Peon

Best Answers:
    Go Talk Money, How do you get 50 views for a friend request? How do they know you have a website? Please explain

froghat, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  7. tusen

tusen Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have also have a good experience with myspace as I have a arcade site that I promote.

tusen, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  8. searchfordeal

searchfordeal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    and? more detail could help us..:)

searchfordeal, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  9. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I just started a dating/community website and I went to myspace.com but failed to register because it has rules against promoting websites. However, I am reading that a lot of people are promoting there site there.

Are you just promoting from you personal account or are you a paid advertiser?
    I am trying to get people to register for free membership and use my site for chat and forums. I have both adsense and affialtes on my pages, so I ma hoping to make some money from those so I can keep the sites free.

Any info on myspace marketing would be appreciated.

allout, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  10. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    May I know how can i promote my site at myspace?? thanks guys

toby, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  11. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If Myspace users are generally teens, is it true that they don't usually convert into paying visitors online? For example, are they unlikely to buy from an online store, or less likely than most to click on the adverts in an affiliate-funded content site? This would be my concern in specifically targetting this kind of traffic.

I would not measure success solely in terms of getting plenty of new hits. If those visitors aren't likely to do what you want them to, whether that be spending money, signing up, or participating in discussion, then maybe there are better ways to market a site.

Obelia, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  12. babbling

babbling Peon

Best Answers:
    Isn't this just a form of spam?

babbling, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  13. Sejje

Sejje Banned

Best Answers:
    I run a site that is generated around teens so it works great for me.

Sejje, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  14. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hear it works...it's all the rage nowadays with people trying to promote their sites, services, and/or products. :)

EGS, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  15. WebmasterWanabe

WebmasterWanabe Peon

Best Answers:
    MY Space got lots of negative press in the last few months.

WebmasterWanabe, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  16. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hey you know what they say; "any press is good press."
    I know, from teaching high school, that after the recent negative press, MySpace grew even bigger.

allout, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  17. WebmasterWanabe

WebmasterWanabe Peon

Best Answers:
    Very Good Point :eek:

WebmasterWanabe, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  18. Xfeat

Xfeat Peon

Best Answers:
    MySpace is full of untapped advertising. I have several big myspace accounts that I advertise on. Then some I sell. I also build myspace accounts to fit my needs.

Xfeat, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  19. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hello. If you are planning on using MySpace to advertise your website, I would suggest either buying a MySpace account or building one up with THOUSANDS of friends. :)

This way, you are starting off with a very large audience to promote/expose your website, service, or product two.

By the way, I blogged about this thread so thus the reason why I have that link in my post. ;)

EGS, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  20. tccoder

tccoder Peon

Best Answers:
    tccoder, Apr 16, 2006 IP