1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Allowed Sites - Decreasing Impressions/Revenue

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by LeoSeo, Jun 8, 2008.

Hello,

I have been using the "Allowed Sites" feature of AdSense for a while now, to protect the code being misused by some.

However, the problem is, AdSense blocks everything that is not in the "Allowed Sites" list. Yes, it makes sense, but, viewing the

Most of the sites reported here are, Google, Yahoo and MSN IP's. I am assuming that, whenever someone clicks the "Cache", on search engines, to access my site, AdSense considers them as if some other site is publishing my ads. And that's a problem. It came to my attention that, %10 or so of the visitors, might be more, access my sites through search engine caches. Maybe because they think it's faster(sometimes i do that), or maybe sometime if the page does not load directly, whatever, but this decreases my impressions and earnings seriously.

Is there anything i can do about it? I mean, Google should at least allow it's own IP's, i can't just add all the hundreds of Google IP's in the allowed list. Maybe it'd be better if I could just add suspicious sites in an "unauthorized sites" list instead of "allowed sites" list like now, if i see some suspicious site in the "Unauthorized Sites" report, that'd help, no?

Are there any of you experiencing this? Contacted Google?

Thanks for your comments

LeoSeo, Jun 8, 2008 IP
    Pendragon, guerilla and zangief like this.
  2. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed exactly the same problem a few months ago - my income fell noticeably as well, mostly from people searching on images I think, which are often looked at in cache.

I never found a solution (I posted here at dp to ask) so in the end I got rid of the 'allowed sites' option - shame because it's a useful feature.

Rasputin, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  3. geekology

geekology Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I also faced exactly the same problem when i used "Allowed Sites" feature. Given the revenue loss, I stopped using this option.

I have a roundabout way to get over this problem. [I assume that you owe a large no of sites and don't have time to track the page impressions daily]

1. Create adsense channels for the home page of every domain you own.
    2. Use "Report Manager" to send your weekly reports to your inbox. You will get a CSV files
    3. Extract and add the page impressions of home page channel (probably you can write a small script to do this)
    4. Now the page impressions of every home page channel should add up to the total no of page impressions. Well, that is the ideal case. In reality, as you rightly said above, we will get impressions from cache etc. So give a tolerance of +(4-5)% to total no of page impressions. The % may vary depending on your site(s).

Otherwise, There is a paid site called adsspy.com which can show you the sites using same adsense publisher-id.

geekology, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  4. salman4raza

salman4raza Peon

Best Answers:
    Disable Allowed Site Feature

Or Say It's OK

everything has some positives and negatives .. but i like allowed site feature

salman4raza, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  5. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think image search shows pages in frames so it should be OK. Could you please show me your thread, i can't seem to find it.

I guess you propose this to see how many impressions are lost due to this problem, but, even for %5, it's a huge tolerance, if we solely lose it on cache's which does not pose a threat in terms of code protection, we just lose that for the lack of a feature, now i can tolerate it for security but not for this, that's why i started this thread. :)

LeoSeo, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  6. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    my thread was at
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=650765

but you won't learn much from it - it asked the same question as you, and also had no particular suggestions in response

I hadn't realised image search pages opened in frames - so it must just be cached pages then. I've always been surprised that many people look at cached pages (apart from webmasters who know what they are)...but it seems they do.

Rasputin, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  7. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks.

I sent an e-mail to AdSense Support about this. I decided to disable the feature till i receive a response from them.

I read somewhere that, they do not charge the advertisers for clicks through these unauthorized sites which means they are losing money for ads they publish on their own cache, so i'm hoping they'll look into this, since they are losing serious money as well, for a lack of a simple feature in the system.

LeoSeo, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  8. adrianTNT

adrianTNT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Would it help if you configure your server to redirect to original page whenever a user* views your page from cache?

I seen this one some sites, when you click an image or something in google cache, the site removes the google frame and redirects you to original page.

adrianTNT, Jun 19, 2008 IP
  9. modpeng

modpeng Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that would be ok adrianTNT.

modpeng, Jun 19, 2008 IP
  10. ravi72194

ravi72194 Banned

Best Answers:
    TNT Is a link exchange type Functionality..

ravi72194, Jun 19, 2008 IP