1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I used META REFRESH, Google ditched my index page

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by fpriest, Jun 5, 2008.

I had a website for around 9 years now and it's always been at the top 3 of google search for the key words... Now I've probably made the biggest mistake EVER.

Don't ask me why I did it, I like to play around and try things, so I thought it would be a good idea to implement a meta refresh into the index page that will redirect users to the news page after 7 seconds. My website has good and useful content to MANY people, no fraud, no money making or anything... I searched the digitalpoint forums for similar problems and people talk about doorway pages, this is NOT what I intended to do... I merely wanted to redirect users to the news page because I thought it might not be clear to some where to click to enter the page, so after a few seconds, they would enter the site automatically... So I inserted the following meta tag:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="7;URL=http://www.mysite.com/news.php">

Now, 4 days later, the main site is not to be found in google anymore, but all other pages are still indexed... to be more precise... www.mysite.com can't be found in google while www.mysite.com/news.php and all other pages of my site are still there.

What can I do to fix this? Please don't tell me this mistake is ruining 9 years of website work :(:(:(:( thanks in advance to EVERYONE offering ideas

If this is useful information, link:mysite.com still brings thousands results, and my site is still in dmoz and all...

fpriest, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  2. rootbinbash

rootbinbash Peon

Best Answers:
    remove the meta refresh code, it should be ok in a couple of weeks.

rootbinbash, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  3. fpriest

fpriest Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much :) Makes me happier! Are you speaking out of experience? I have also submitted a sitemap in google's webmaster tools for the first time...

Assuming Google takes a few weeks to list it again, will my pagerank drop in the meantime? Also, once it's back, will my site find its way back to the top 3 for key words in Google?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

fpriest, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  4. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Your PageRank should be fine. While it does get updated regularly behind the scenes, the toolbar PageRank doesn't get updated for a few months at a time.

I do agree though - remove the META refresh tag.

Dan Schulz, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  5. Aryans

Aryans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, I also want to tell you the same answer remove META refresh tag. B'coz you have only one solution may be it'll work for you.

Good Luck

Aryans, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  6. fpriest

fpriest Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much :D I removed the meta tag immediately when I found out about all this...

I'm very concerned about the ranking though... not the "page rank" as in numbers, but I mean the ranking in google when you search for the key words... my site used to be there at the top 3... do you reckon it will be back at the top where it was before? :eek:

fpriest, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  7. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    It should, but I won't make any guarantees.

Dan Schulz, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  8. rootbinbash

rootbinbash Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes i have experience.BUT when i did this mistake on a very popular keyword, i did a LOT of link building to re-gain the rank faster because i was loosing 200$ day ^^

rootbinbash, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  9. PeterM

PeterM Peon

Best Answers:
    PeterM, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  10. fpriest

fpriest Guest

Best Answers:
    Just writing again to let everybody know my site is back in google where it belongs :D

Thanks to all of you!!

Maybe an interesting fact, I don't know... During the time the main page was not indexed, the site that I redirected it to (news.php) was on the 2nd page of google when searching for the key words. Now with the main page being back at the top 3 in google, news.php fell back a few pages... this is normal I guess?

fpriest, Jun 8, 2008 IP
  11. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, remove the meta refresh and the problem will be gone in some weeks or even days

Yankee85, Jun 8, 2008 IP
  12. onlineshopping

onlineshopping Banned

Best Answers:
    sorry for this question, but what's the exactly use of this meta refresh ?

onlineshopping, Jun 8, 2008 IP