1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Announcing AdSense-Deluxe Plugin for WordPress Blogs

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by wkw, Jul 27, 2005.

1. WebWriter

WebWriter Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's kind of funny that I came across this post as just downloaded this a few hours ago.

I must give you a round of applause because it was just what I was looking for and the directions were so clear. I usually don't like to do anything involving installing things but it was quite simple.

WebWriter, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  2. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So the reason this is better than using regular Adsense code in a post is because you can change things (like colors or wahtever) more easily?

I'm also confused about how you get different size blocks in a post if you're always using the one html like Adsense tag - how does it know if I want a vertical banner, a button, a horizontal banner, etc.?

jim, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  3. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If all you wanted to do was put adsense code into your WordPress template files, it's questionable whether the plugin is needed. But even in that situation, assuming you have ads embedded in multiple template files, you can change the style of the ads, or your publisher-ID or whatever much easier by using Adsense-Deluxe.

The plugin lets you configure any number of different ad styles (works for yahoo publisher network and pretty much any other similar ad networks since at its core, it's just doing replacements when a page is served, so you can put any darn HTML code you want into the plugin's configuration) on the options page. Then you simply reference those defined ad styles by the "name" you provide when they're defined.

For example, assume you generate the style of adsense/YPN code you want to use in your Home/Index template file. You've given it the name "index_template" when you created the configuration. In your template file you use the relevant code to pull this ad block in (see the plugin's readme file for details). Now, a month later you want to tweak the look of those ads, maybe go from 2-ads to a 4-ad block, so all you do is go to the Adsense-Deluxe Options page and edit that code block.

That same scenario applies if you're embedding ads into your Posts in addition to or instead of the template files.

Adsense-Deluxe v0.7 Updated for WordPress 2.0
    WordPress 2.0 was released about a month ago, and while the Adsense-Deluxe plugin continued to work just fine with it, I released v0.7 to make it compatible with the new WYSIWYG editor introducted in 2.0 (FWIW, I don't use that new editor and find it can introduce invalid html code into the posts, but as you like...). The update includes instructions for getting a QuickTag which lists all your defined ad styles into the button bar of the editor. Note that there was no way for me to make that happen automatically as is possible with the regular editor's quicktags. So you MUST read the readme file that comes with the adsense-deluxe distribution, and carefully follow the directions.

Finally, let me remind satisfied Adsense-Deluxe users that within the Options page for the plugin is a checkbox to "reward author". When you enable this option, circa 5% of the ads shown will use my publisher ID. It's similar to the revenue-sharing here in DP forums. Please consider turning this on so that I might see some benefit to continuing to support the adsense-deluxe users and keeping the plugin updated. Otherwise, I'm happy to just revert to using and maintaining the plugin for my own private use.

cheers,
    Wayne (the author who likes "rewards").

wkw, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  4. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had an interesting request from an Adsense-Deluxe user recently. They suggested allowing each registered Author in a word press blog be given a field to enter their personal Adsense or YPN publisher ID then in the same style as DP forums offers for revenue sharing, when that author's posts are displayed, it uses that person's publisher ID a certain percentage of the time, and the blog owner's the rest of the time.

Anyone interested in such a feature? Idea being you have a blog with multiple authors/editors/contributors and want to inspire them to contribute more through having their own ads shown within the blog.

wkw, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  5. aeronautic.net

aeronautic.net Active Member

Best Answers:
    Apologies in advance for this OT reply, but I'd love to see this feature as a plug-in for Mambo/Joomla - or perhaps phpAdsNew.

I'm starting to get freelance contributors to my web magazines - this would be a sweet way to tie their returns in to the popularity of their articles.

To be clear, the feature is the revenue share that I'm asking about - even with the "reward the plug-in author" feature. :)

Great tool for WordPress regardless!

I'm aware of the AdSense tools for Mambo - but I serve with PAN as above. To the best of my knowledge, there is no revenue share plug-in... am I mistaken?

aeronautic.net, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  6. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I'm not using Mambo at the moment, so best is to suggest it on whichever lists Mambo/Joomla is discussed (naturally). I'm sure someone would be hot to develop that.
    -wayne

wkw, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  7. mudanoman

mudanoman Guest

Best Answers:
    Wayne,

Thanks for the great plug-in. Its working marvelously. The idea you mentioned above is something I have been trying to look for as well as its about time individual authors get a piece of the pie. I believe Drupal has a revenue sharing program that both bloggerparty.com and writingup.com are using. Please keep us updated on developments.

Very Best,

Ivan

mudanoman, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  8. Kaye

Kaye Guest

Best Answers:
    Hello wkw,

Is there possibility that you would release the revenue sharing feature of adsense deluxe plugin for wpmu? I would love to share revenues with my blog users.

Yours,
    Kaye

Kaye, Mar 23, 2006 IP
  9. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WebWriter, bless your heart! I get a lot of emails with the same issue meaning either they didn't bother to read the ReadMe file, or perhaps they just don't get it. I'm a techie and don't always realize how I need to write the docs for the innocent, but I do try.
    -w

wkw, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  10. jawinn

jawinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Awesome plugin. It solved a ton of issues at once for me. You really should promote the fact that you can post youtube and google video on your blog with this. I looked around for hours to find something for video and your awesome plugin did the trick. Thanks!

jawinn, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  11. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been using the plugin for sometime now and find it a great addition to each blog that I have.

Great work.

cormac, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  12. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kaye,
    I don't have experience with WPMU. If you will, share with me how you'd want the plugin working in that context. And, have you checked that it presently does not handle what you need for wpmu?

-wayne

wkw, Apr 3, 2006 IP
  13. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to the fact that I'm getting more emails asking for a revenue-sharing option in the WordPress AdSense Deluxe plugin, I spent a few hours today researching those features.

Blog Revenue Sharing
    The Revenue Sharing feature is inspired by, and similar to the same feature here in DP forums. In the WordPress Blog context it works as follows: You run a multi-contributor blog and want to reward contributors/authors for writing popular content. So each author can enter their Adsense Publisher ID or YPN Partner ID in their Profile page. The Administrator will determine how often the ads displayed on an Author's posts use the Author's ID for displaying the Google or YPN ads (say, 50% of the views...), thereby giving each contributor a chance to receive credit and payments for clicked ads.

Status Update
    I have successfully implemented patching into the Edit User and Edit Profile screens in WordPress 2.0 (by the way, I think this will have to be a 2.0 or later feature since the hooks I use may not exist in wordpress 1.5). I have some preliminary work finished too, in the serving portion of the plugin. My thinking is revenue sharing can only happen on single-post (or "Page") views since I believe it's against AdSense's TOS to have multiple publisher's ads on a single page (anyone know otherwise??).

Soon I'll be looking for a few bloggers who would like to test the revenue-sharing version of Adsense-Deluxe. I know Darren Rowse of Problogger.net hangs out here, and his excellent Blog (which I see is using the Plugin) would be a great place to try this out, if he'd like to offer his contributors this option. Darren, please let me know if there's interest. But anyone who is using Adsense-Deluxe in their WordPress blog, has upgraded to WP 2.x and has multiple authors, please mention your interest in this thread or via PM and I'll contact you.

I'm also interested in any additional features not mentioned here already. Beyond what I've already touched on, I suspect I'll have a checkbox in the Ads-Dlx options page to enable/disable revenue sharing, along with a type-in field for setting the percentage of views to use the Author's IDs (when configured). I'm looking into some sort of stats tracking (and optional logging) mostly just to ensure in the early stages that the advertised features are working correctly. Idea being that you (as an admin) could see how many times an author's ID was used and total number of times an author's posts were viewed. [It might also make sense to allow Authors to view in their Profiles, their own personal stats.]

I'll write more as the work evolves.

-wayne

wkw, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  14. microdude431

microdude431 Active Member

Best Answers:
    microdude431, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  15. Scope

Scope Member

Best Answers:
    This sounds like a neat plugin, I'll give it a crack and see how it goes. Great job.

Scope, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  16. blakekr

blakekr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess I'm still seeing AD getting escaped (it's autoformatted just like the rest of my post with ad-breaking linebreaks ... <BR>s .... and escaped characters). I'm using WP 1.5.2 and AD 0.7 -- help anyone??

Edited to say: I use the text control plugin, but all that does is leave posts on WP's default of wpautop and wptexturize unless I mess with it, which I don't do except when bringing in special php code.

Edit further to say: crap. It's a problem with TextControl. If I deactivate it, AdsenseDeluxe works. But if I deactivate it, I get a bunch of crap with my included php code. Now what? (argh)

blakekr, Jun 5, 2006 IP
  17. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have not used TextControl before but apparently it's being passed the filtered post after Adsense-Deluxe has processed it. Is there any way to tell WP to run AD filter AFTER TextControl? Can you instruct TC to ignore certain tags (<script ...> in this case)?
    -wayne

wkw, Jul 28, 2006 IP
    sawz, lycos and Shazz like this.
  18. xiao

xiao Peon

Best Answers:
    hey,

whenever i try to creat new adsence blocks it says : "Cannot load adsense-deluxe.php."
    Did I do something wrong with the installation or is it something else?

xiao, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  19. alex sin

alex sin Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi all

I do have the same experience as xiao, can anyone please enlighten us? I noticed that this post was one month old, was wondering if this problem had been rectified.

Thanks in advance
    Alex

alex sin, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  20. alex sin

alex sin Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi xiao

I just found the solution to the problem that we are facing. here's the thread http://wordpress.org/support/topic/69999?replies=8#post-398690

Hope this help's
    Alex

alex sin, Oct 3, 2006 IP