1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hundreds of clicks, no sales

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by randykougher, Jun 5, 2008.

Between CJ, Shareasale, and several independent affiliate programs, I've sent hundreds of clicks their way now and not one single sale. I have a blog I use links on and I have been running Google Adwords with direct links to the advertisers and have spent almost $300 now on Adwords. I am very discouraged and frustrated. Is there typically a lag between click throughs and actual sales or are most sales right away (I would think most buy the product right then in there or never buy it at all). I have about 150 clicks to CJ, 150 clicks to shareasale, and about 100 clicks to various other affiliate programs. What am I doing wrong!? I don't want to spend much more money with no return.

randykougher, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    NCMedia likes this.
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    You need at least this amount of clicks PER DAY to expect any kind of result. You're probably not doing anything wrong - you might just need more traffic and more clicks.

It also depends on who's clicking. It you've got 8 year olds clicking on things that require a credit card, then you'll go nowhere. If you've got 30 year olds clicking on ringtone signups, most of them will be smart enough to NOT sign up. [etc]

Get more traffic! :)

Kerosene, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  3. luckasus

luckasus Peon

Best Answers:
    Check. Maybe join it by mistake .

luckasus, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  4. definitive

definitive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i go through about 100 clicks before sale. It's a numbers game so just keep driving more traffic to your site and eventually things will work out.

definitive, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  5. cooperdev

cooperdev Active Member

Best Answers:
    depending on the programs you are in you may see revenue down the road, some will set 30 and 60 day cookies for you.

cooperdev, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  6. thor22

thor22 Peon

Best Answers:
    More traffic = more money

thor22, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  7. randykougher

randykougher Guest

Best Answers:
    What do you guys average for sales/clicks? 1 sale per 100 clicks per affiliate link? Does it also depend on the cost of the item you're promoting? I'm trying to promote a couple big ticket items ($500-$2500) so I'm thinking that may be why. With commissions in the $50-$250 range for the items I'm promoting, how much would you spend up front without any sales before trying something else? Also, if you're using an affiliate link to a specific product and the customer that clicks through doesn't buy that specific product but buys other stuff, do you still get a commission? Thanks!

randykougher, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  8. freefinder89

freefinder89 Peon

Best Answers:
    if you encourage clicks too much thats what happens

freefinder89, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  9. vitalbusiness

vitalbusiness Peon

Best Answers:

Can you tell me what you're advertising and I can tell you why you're not making anything?

vitalbusiness, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  10. brank20

brank20 Peon

Best Answers:
    What kind of traffic are you sending it? It needs to be targetted traffic if you want anything to convert.

brank20, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  11. pogung177

pogung177 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have more than hundred of click every day, some generate of sales but on the other day got zero sales.

pogung177, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  12. fizfaz

fizfaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think.. the targeted traffic is more important..

fizfaz, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  13. jonixkonios

jonixkonios Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to choose the right advertiser to the type of visitors that you've. you can have 1500 clicks and no sales, it all depends if your visitors are targeted or not. A normal convertion ratio that many people use is:
    - for every 1000 visitors (call it clicks), one sale will happen.

But this is not true all the time. You can have this month 2000 clicks and no sales, and next month 1000 clicks and 2 sales.

jonixkonios, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  14. brank20

brank20 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its all about getting quality traffic, not quantity. Improve on your SERPS, try to get onto the first 3 pages for your search terms. There is an entire section on the forums for SEO.

Also paid advertising from adwords or yahoo might help targetting a little better.

brank20, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  15. myousuf

myousuf Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi you all. This is Yousuf here well i need someone who is serious in doing business with my company as on partnership basis by this you can generate good commission and also can give exposure to yourself in international market as well.

myousuf, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  16. jonixkonios

jonixkonios Peon

Best Answers:
    Uhh?? :confused::confused::confused:

jonixkonios, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  17. vitalbusiness

vitalbusiness Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually you are talking to the 95% of the posters here and everywhere who aimlessly brag about making thousands, no, millions of rupees, I mean dollars on here.

They HOPE they will be making that much. Most of them are in their 20's, full of silly hope of making it big. Some lie about being big and successful.

You do not do anything wrong. Success is when opportunity meets preparation. It doesn't happen overnight and not everyone will succeed. Otherwise everyone would be successful. So do not listen to most of those who say OH I AM HUGE ON THE WEB. They are not. They HOPE to be huge, but they will probably fail. It is not the 90's anymore when every dog could be a huge success on the web. This day and age it is difficult and if you think it is not you are lying to yourself.

vitalbusiness, Jun 7, 2008 IP
  18. jonixkonios

jonixkonios Peon

Best Answers:
    Some great words in your post vitalbusiness. The ones that really make money without scamming others with programs and ebooks (that worth nothing), never say in public "hey i make thousands every month".
    There isn't a "get quick rich scheme", unless you scam the innocents with the old ebook story "unfailable method to get thousands of dollars".

jonixkonios, Jun 7, 2008 IP
  19. NCMedia

NCMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Perhaps I don't belong as I am not a 'CJing' pro however belong to just about every other network and run several successful programs.. . ... and it's all about marketing. . ... this thread caught my attention so here is some feedback for the OP:

1. If you are in a position to be able to throw 300 clicks around on a daily basis - YOU are doing things RIGHT.

2. Now it all just depends on matching up the right traffic (adwords) to the right offers (any network).

3. You now are left with probably the most important decision in this whole marketing game imo - 'what - do - I - Promote?'.... Not sure how CJ analytics works or how to prospect good offers or what the competition is et al - however choosing the right offers is going to make or break you, not the adspend, not the network, the offer - 300 clicks can make you a lot of money if you are sourcing the right traffic/buyers.

4. Good programs - tested/converting/existing happy aff's/have longevity etc. usually convert at 1-5% if not more when doing laser targeted campaigns. Having said that - your 300 clicks at a minimum should be making 3 sales and at most 15. If you source the right programs i.e. one that pays you $50/conversion - you should be making $150 - $750. That same 300 clicks, just readjusted to a laser targeted offer.

Some days that 300 clicks will bring you nothing - some days only 100 clicks will bring you a rocking 10%! The difference is in your research friend. The stage you are at is the testing stage - and perhaps it's time to analyze your defeat and re-evaluate what programs you are promoting and how.

A few tips come to mind to perhaps help you with your adwords - I have taken these from one of my programs and think you may find some golden nuggets in here:

1. Don't add 50+ keywords/phrases, instead = Use your keyword tools, if you're doing adwords, USE their tool to find all your keys. Now go over them and ONLY keep the top 8-10 best (those that look like real buyers would click, forget the rest for now). Tight keywords grouped together, meaning all the keys that start with 'g2' should be under eachother together. Using 3-5 word combos with long tails will work best for the cheapest cost per click. If you cannot get volume, only then should you start to go broad and with your keylist.

2. Do NOT put 'free' anywhere in your ad or in your keywords, you will not target real buyers, and those just lurking for free info will click your ad a lot, wasting your clicks.

3. Put The Price - If someone sees a price, only those interested in potentially spending are going to click it, the rest won't-saving your ad spend.

4. Utilize the content network with 2 campaigns, no search network. "Even though my CTR is .23, I have spent less than $14 on clicks that are .08 to .11 cents, and made 3 sales so far with content network only".

5. Split test EVERY campaign, if you are targeting different countries, split test each country. You should always have at least 2 ads fighting eachother, and always tweak them, always - at least until you find what converts best. Once you do that, start another campaign and duplicate profitable efforts - potentially start other ppc avenues. "The general sequence is to test/tweak/eliminate/duplicate, this formula is what I follow and once I'm duplicating my main campaign is automated and I focus on my new ones".

6. If you cannot track campaigns, I recommend making seperate landing pages, on those pages use TID feature and link to TIDs from the links. Now point seperate similar keyword targeted ads at seperate pages. This will effectively show you which ads and even which keywords are converting, then duplicate profitable campaigns, eliminate the rest.

7. General: Site targeting really does work. Once you centralize your effective campaigns and notice best buyer times and zones, start using adwords timing option and pump your ads at hot times in hotspots geographicaly, you will notice a rise in sales. You can use analytics to find out which campaigns converted, what times ppl are buying at, which country/city, etc.

8. Be creative, always think like a customer that is potentially ready to buy. Sometimes the oddest phrases that have no data in adwords tools convert like crazy, sometimes the most competitive words are still worth chasing. Testing campaigns can get tedious however it does payoff to really prepare well for 2 hours and post your ads in 5 minutes, than to post a bunch of template ads and spend the next two days changing them.

9. Use negative keywords - analyze your traffic if you can - you may be pulling the wrong traffic for the silliest reasons.

10. broad/exact/etc. all have relevance, use them.

Cheers, hope this helps you a bit.
    NC.

NCMedia, Jun 7, 2008 IP
    definitive and justcrack like this.
  20. definitive

definitive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great post - Rep added.

definitive, Jun 7, 2008 IP