1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When is it safe to resubmit a site?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by zan23, Apr 13, 2006.

I submitted my site to DMOZ back in August '05, and I didn't check if an editor existed for the category. I searched DMOZ for my site recently and it still isn't listed. I now know that one should submit to a category that has an editor.

Do you think it is safe to resubmit the site to a different category (one that has an editor)?

zan23, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  2. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Who told you that? You should suggest the site to the category that is the best fit for the site, regardless of whether there is a listed editor. There are approximately 200 editors who can edit anywhere in the directory and there are also the editors higher up in the category tree who can edit there. If you do decide to suggest a site to a category just because there is an editor - that editor will probably move your site closer to where it should have been, then another might move it again, until finally it's where it should have been to begin with (and no one knows how long that will take).

lmocr, Apr 13, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  3. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    OK, you did all you can do and all that is needed to do.

I guess you mean "if an editor was listed for the category"
    Which is of totaly no relevance at all.
    A site must be suggested to the category were it belongs because of the subject of the site.

Which most propably means that the site isn't reviewed yet.
    Or the site was rejected (in which case you should not have suggested it at all)

Who told you this. He clearly does not know much about DMOZ.
    All categories have editors. Some categories have a editor listed on the page.

No. This would be seen as spamming the directory and could result in you and all your sites being banned from DMOZ.

pagode, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  4. zan23

zan23 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is there any way to tell if my site was rejected or still in review? I have added more content to my site ever since I submitted it last August.

zan23, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  5. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    If you share your URL and the category you submitted to, someone might be able to take a look, but without that information there's no way to tell.

compostannie, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  6. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Nitpicking...

Over 250 last time I counted...

There are many sites that should not have been suggested at all - the guidelines explain them all - but editor discretion means there are grey areas where a decision could go either way. Because a site was rejected does not mean it shouldn't have been submitted. Only a site with a green tag is more or less guaranteed to be accepted and they are highly unlikely to be submitted.

Don't give out false information please. Submitting once more to a different category is not seen as spamming - it is multiple submitting. It will not ever get the submitter banned and it will not ever get their other sites (if they have any) banned. It will result in rejection of the site for the incorrect category but it should always be moved to the correct category if you do not know for sure it is already waiting for review there.

Reject - a site that does not meet DMOZ listing criteria including having insufficient content for the category where it would belong.

Move - a site that does not meet the criteria for the category it has been submitted to but otherwise appears listable.

Ban (site) aka Red Tag - a site that is prohibited from being listed in DMOZ. Requires agreement by an editall or above, there must be a valid reason, and they are all logged so any editall or above can review for validity. As the tag is visible it can also be challenged by any editor at any time. Sometimes reversed if the content changes. Never used on a listable site as a punishment for multiple submitters.

Ban (submitter) - penalty for heinous crimes against humanity and can only be done by a meta or admin.

Multiple submission - submitting the same, similar, or related sites to more than one category.

Spamming - excessive multiple submission, or submission of sites that clearly breach DMOZ listing guidelines, e.g. mirrors, affiliates.

Crap - sites that don't fall into the prohibited site categories but have next to no content, e.g. not much more than a business card or advert.

brizzie, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  7. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If your site is not included with 6-12 months you may resubmit it. But, make sure you have followed the guidelines very well this time.

It sounds like as if you are trying to submit to a less competitive catagory. Please double check if your site meets the guidelines :rolleyes:

maldives, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  8. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you want to do that?

There are only a limited number of reasons why a resubmission might be acceptable.

1) After a month or so to make sure the original submission actually went through. On rare occasions it is possible that a site somehow doesn't make it because part of the submission process didn't work or it got caught in a filter.

2) You suspect the site has been rejected, have substantially improved it, and want another review.

In both the above the resubmission to the same category will overwrite the original if it is still waiting for review and the editor will not notice.

3) You realise you have made a mistake and submitted to the wrong category. Wrong as in it wasn't the best fit and you have found a closer fit one. Not wrong as in no listed editor. Submit once more to the correct category and you will actually help an editor somewhere - they would have had to move it themselves.

brizzie, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  9. maldives

Best Answers:
    I suspect the site has been rejected. If he is talking about a less competitive catagory why should it take 6 months before it gets reviewed and included??

10. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no timespan on when a review might take place - quickest I ever did was about 60 seconds from submission. I also listed sites waiting for 5 years. Remember that DMOZ doesn't offer a site listing service, it just collects suggestions for potential future use. DMOZ gets about 20 times more suggestions each month than suggestions that get listed. If submissions got turned off tomorrow then I reckon it would still take about 5 years to get through all those already received.

If a submitter suspects rejection then it is vitally important that there is substantial improvement in the content from the time it was originally submitted before it gets resubmitted. No change in content = no change in decision and it is wasting everyone's time.

brizzie, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Does anyone notices how ridiculous the whole procedure for submission and review of sites sounds? :rolleyes: I am sure normal people do but how about present and past editors?
    The only thing that seems sure in this procedure is that if you have done anything to piss off the powers in DMOZ, you are banned, black listed and never be listed, other than nothing is clear.
    Is it really the whole purpose of DMOZ procedures is to make sure that nobody knows anything, so when they are forced to go to RZ to ask, it gives psychos like hutch,motsa,jim, bun, a chance to be rude to this people and afterward pad each other in the back in editor section about how rude they were and how they zapped the person posting when they could not come up with a logical answer and had enough fun insulting that person? :rolleyes:

gworld, Apr 14, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.
  12. maldives

Best Answers:
    It is certainly is confusing but no one is listening :eek:

13. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    Fascinating thread. :rolleyes: I fear that poor zan23 will have a hard time separating the good advice from the extraneous details, misleading remarks, urban legends, and gratuitous insults.

I found two pieces of good advice:
    As lmocr's post also pointed out, submitting to a wrong category may cause long delays in reviewing the site. Also, there is a chance that an editor will delete the site before it ends up in the right category.

That's mostly good advice, but note that a second submission to a different category is a good idea only if the "different category" you submit to is an appropriate category.

Furthermore, if you have reviewed the directory structure and concluded that the first category you submitted to was the best category, there is no real harm in submitting it there again. (After all, maybe the server hiccupped and rejected your first submission.) If your site is still sitting in the category queue waiting for a review, it may get demoted to the bottom of the list, but that's the worst thing that can happen from a second submission to the same category.

If you have questions about whether your site is acceptable to list in dmoz, see http://dmoz.org/guidelines/include.html and http://dmoz.org/guidelines/site-specific.html for information about the dmoz criteria.

orlady, Apr 14, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So don't you think it is better to fix the situation, or the psycho group have too much fun insulting people and being rude to others to give up this chance?
    Why should a group of losers who probably are trying to compensate for their failures in real life by having power in DMOZ and insulting other people, tarnish the reputation of the whole directory? :rolleyes:
    Please don't try to sing the spammer, spammer song and pretend having a proper procedures will help webmasters to spam the directory, you know it is a lie, I know it is a lie and so does everyone else, repeating it just makes you look ridiculous. ;)

gworld, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  15. zan23

zan23 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies. I think my site may have been rejected since I submitted it when it was new and didn't have much content, and maybe to a category that wasn't specific enough. I think I will submit it to a more appropriate category this time and see how it goes.

zan23, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  16. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. That's why I attempted to correct the misinformation. :)

The rest of your post implies that I should prevent other digitalpoint forum members from posting misleading information. I don't believe I have that authority. ;)

orlady, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is not the first time that this question has brought up, is it? How many similar threads are in this section? How many in RZ? How many will be in the future? What kind of organization makes a situation that even it's own members don't know what is right or wrong?
    Closing your eye to reality does not solve the problem and it is sad that as an admin in DMOZ you don't know that but I suppose ignoring facts and pretending everything is fine is what admins do best. :rolleyes:

gworld, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  18. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    gworld, it appears to me that the problem is due to the misinformation that is disseminated in SEO forums, such as this one.

Most of the "information" on the topic of submissions that I have seen in SEO forums is not found in or based on the official guidelines at http://dmoz.org/help/submit.html. Yes, the guidelines do say "submit your site one time," but common sense should tell you that after waiting 6 months, it should be acceptable to resubmit.

orlady, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is not only with information, the problem is with the way DMOZ operates.
    Why not send a confirmation that we have received a submission, so the users knows that we have received it and doesn't wonder if the submission worked or it disappeared?
    If a user is submitting again, why not simply check in the database and inform them that it has been submitted before and there is no need to submit again?
    Why not fix the whole submission procedures process, so it is not a mess and a disgrace? :rolleyes:

gworld, Apr 15, 2006 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  20. maldives

Best Answers:
    There is no timespan on when a review might take place - quickest I ever did was about 60 seconds from submission.

Not suprised at all to hear that. Don't you think there should be set time frame to review the sites submitte?? So many webmasters are getting frustrated about it

The quickest you did could have been one of your site or a friends. I don't know.

I also listed sites waiting for 5 years. Remember that DMOZ doesn't offer a site listing service, it just collects suggestions for potential future use.

Waiting could be even 10 years or higher since no Whether DMOZ offers listing service or not, it is a directory full of websites. So tell me what is the main reason why DMOZ collects so many websites

If a submitter suspects rejection then it is vitally important that there is substantial improvement in the content from the time it was originally submitted before it gets resubmitted.

How do we know if the site is rejected?? You don't like when a site is resubmitted again after 5 years ??? What is it really??

maldives, Apr 15, 2006 IP