1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Your aims

Discussion in 'Directories' started by mikey1090, Jun 5, 2008.

What are your aims for 2008?

What do you want to have achieved by December 31, 2008?

Writing your aims publicly may be a constant reminder that you need to push hard. One vital step in motivating yourself is to have an aim. You can then evaluate and figure out specific objectives that need to be followed in order to accomplish that aim.

At the end of the year I (or someone else if I'm banned!) can make a new thread and we can compare what we set out to achieve and see if we actually made it.

If you don't want to post your aims I am not forcing you. This is for those who don't mind. I think it could be interesting to see our goals. It may allow us to re-focus and set new aims. Or even decide upon some aims for those who have never sat down and thought about it.

I'll start

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Directory : Fruity Directory

My Aims :

1. To rank 1 for "health directory" in Google - this will involve knocking off major competitor yahoo.
    2. To rank highly for my other main keywords.
    3. To have a descriptive article placed in the header of each category.
    4. To have at least 25 links in all categories.
    5. To have over 500 unique articles.
    6. To have over 7500 active links.
    7. To receive over 1500 unique visitors per day.
    8. To be earning around $1000 a month from various revenue sources.
    9. To be recognised as the number one health directory on the web.
    10. To be at the stage where every new link and article I add to the directory will receive decent traffic - wikipedia style. Therefore the more content I add the more traffic I will get.

I think all my aims are very much achievable. I expect to surpass some of them but can see myself struggling with others.

To reach 7500 links and 500 articles and have all categories with a descriptive article in the header it will cost me around $4000-$5000.

What about you? What are your aims and do you think they are possible to be reached?

mikey1090, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    Brian1970, syted and JamieG like this.
  2. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    2008 - Complete all design and base worked needed to launch stage 1 of the directory by 11/11/2008.

Enjoy a small break between that date and the new year just chilling with family etc and only doing minimal work, and to develop a 2009 plan during that time.

DownUnder, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 and syted like this.
  3. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    2008 - To fully take over the reigns at Cantufind, making sure the old database is brought up to date and provide a quality service that doesn't just help webmasters. To help improve the directory scene by opening up the source code for our directory script and to add dozens of new features. And if I pass my LPC with flying colours I'm going to fly to the hottest country I can find and get absolutely wasted for a month.

JamieG, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  4. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My aim for 2008

To create a directory that is unique from every one and it should be useful to every one...

Freewebspace, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.
  5. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Surely this is everyones aim? Can't you expand a little on it? Why you want it to be different? What aspects of the directory do you wish to be different?

Thanks for the response so far guys. I'm trying to make some decent threads here and improve things a little, for the community on the whole and on a personal basis.

6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To wipe out every last one of you so that i can be victorious and rule the directory world, no really i.... :)

No, sensibly though, i hope (through research) to discover something that i can do regarding my web directories that will be unique (not a gimmick) or fad or rehash of something already done.

But... im still of concern and doubt because the fact that i said above "regarding my web directories" means theres already a major problem there, so i wont make any big claims.

Plus 2008 is passing too quickly already.

Im much less excited about my directories now and put about 70% more time into other types of websites, but i may suprise myself yet, an you. :)

pipes, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    syted likes this.
  7. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    My aim: Constant as always for my dirs. Not to Sell my directories, its been from 2006 now, I own about 24 directories. No matter what, until very very big emergency not to sell them like others. :rolleyes:

I guess that should be the first thing before planning big for your directories. :)

humm, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    syted and Brian1970 like this.
  8. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A short overview –
    Unique content will continue to be added daily in the form of articles, blog posts and listings. We should end the year with around 500 unique articles on site.

There are some slight changes planned for the site –

Some are going on in the blog right now

A couple minor ones are planned on the directory – coming in the next couple weeks

There are some minor changes planned for the gallery also - first going to the new version and then a couple tweaks in how it is used.

I could go on for a while on this but time is short for me today. Though I have goals for them, things like serps, money and traffic I am just not going to talk about on a forum. After all anyone can get an idea of traffic and such at places like Alexa ;)

swedal, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A very specific group of goals there mikey. You've got me thinking about my original thoughts of continuing the increases and traffic and income that I have been achieving. I'll need to think more about this. Interesting thread and thank you for starting the discussion.

Would give you rep but it won't let me.

YMC, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.
  10. adsenseindia

adsenseindia Banned

Best Answers:
    my aims is to MAKE MONEY ONLINE from AdSense placed on directories. I will creat a network of 100 free/paid directories, and I will fill the with AdSense everywhere I posibly can. I need to squeeze all te money I can from this business. My aims is to make money online. Not only from AdSense. I need to learn more specialized technologies for money making online. I need to make money online. Content unique placed on my site with full of adsenses will do great. Content drives traffic, traffic cliks adsense, google pays me! Simple as that !!!
    I need to make money online for serious boys !

adsenseindia, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    eibmoz likes this.
  11. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Nice pipes. Keep working towards uniqueness. Its vital IMO.

I guess I am one of those others you speak about. I sold my directory for a number of reasons. Money wasn't one of them though, good job too as I let it go way too cheaply. I'm stuck with this one for a long while though.

Nice to hear Bruce. Every little tweak can have a major impact on certain things such as SERPs, loading times, traffic etc. Constant improvement is great. Content is king so it's good you're adding lots.

Thanks YMC. I didn't know you'd given me rep lately, perhaps you didn't sign it. I'm glad you like the thread though, my posting has been criticised lately so I hope this is the start of some good things. I have a few ideas for some more threads that could run in a series to this one.

Constant improvement is great. Get your improvement running exponentially and you'll be dominating your niche before you know it!

100 free general web directories with adsense? Oh dear....
    100 content rich niche directories? Go for it!

12. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's more a reflection of how little there's been around here worthy of praise lately. I never leave anonymous reps - that's for cowards.

Did cross one major milestone by relaunching one of my directories after a script change and significant template changes. Those are such a bear. Oh, well, live and learn on that one.

On my other one, I at least know I am doing something right when people in my niche post to forums and their blogs about this great new site they've found and point others to it. I often don't know these folks or the sites I'm getting new traffic from until I see them in my logs - even better, I didn't have to pay/bribe them for the endorsement (j/k) ;).

YMC, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  13. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    I am against all those who put customer or link submitters time n money into bin by selling their directories and not caring for them.

One must not just sell their directories to any tom dick harry, the new owner must be able to look after it.

I have no hard feelings at all for those, who had sucking, MFM (made for money) directories. I am against those who took their directories to a authority, famous and reputed level and then sold it to a noob who killed that directory.

Its just that I feel bad when I see a established directory being fuc*ed by a noob.

humm, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  14. Zero

Zero Peon

Best Answers:
    My currently aim is to fill my forum with content and to get a lot of users who are active. I think those aims are possible as long as i post in the forum to fill it with content and to offer some specials, which other forums do not have...

Zero, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.
  15. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sunny, the guy I sold my directory to was an American businessman with an impressive portfolio. It is since being run by an Indian guy on this forums who has let editorial standards slip. I am assuming you were referring to me.

The last I heard directory owner with experience - valhalla was ready to buy it. Lets hope he does as he has plenty knowledge.

16. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    I don't mean to target your directory/directories. The post applies for a lot of them out there.

A lot of established directories have died in the past just after sale.

You did a fab job with Zorg, I wish you luck for your next project. I only hope Zorg remains Zorg and not just Alive. :)

humm, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    mikey1090 likes this.
  17. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah I hope so too. Thanks for the kind words.

I have bought small sites for $xx-$xxx in the past and let them die. I think the price that zorg was sold for should be significant enough to ensure its looked after. Or at least I hope it will be. :)

18. adsenseindia

adsenseindia Banned

Best Answers:

1. mikey1090 will fight yahoo power. Lets congratulations mikey fo the cotinuement efortis to break yahoo rangz.
      I wishing you al my beast !

adsenseindia, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  19. Electro-Host

Electro-Host Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My aims for 2008 is to expand and grow my webhosting and eBay business and provide customers with full quality customer support.

Electro-Host, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  20. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's great you have original ideas, LOL.

stoner3221, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 and syted like this.