1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paying for editors?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ahmadfarhan, Jun 5, 2008.

I figured I'd ask here first before posting in Buy/sell/trade.

What do you guys think about hiring someone to do the edditing/approving of directories? (I, of course, provide the propper guideline for approval)..

The reason I ask this is that I have a free directory that is receiving around 100-150 submission a day.. My typical day i can do around 50-150 approval.. depending on my free time and the signal to noise ratio of the submissions that day... But lately I've been a little busy and last week I was left without internet connection for about a week.. And the submission is piling up.. the oldest ones are around 3 weeks old... Now the amount of pending approval
    submmision is around 2000++...

So my question is.. How much money would you willing to accept for such a job?(to review all submissions) . And another thing I'm concerned about is weather the guy is really doing his job and not just mass approving everything to get the money...

I have a lot of plans for the directory... But so far i'm just stuck at approving submissions... And a losing battle at that..

ahmadfarhan, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  2. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    100% yes, and as much as you can feasibly afford. If you are thinking of taking someone on through forums like this make it absolutely clear what you want remembering that the cheapest isn't always the best, often the worst.

JamieG, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  3. dezinerite

dezinerite Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lots of people might be willing to do that for a really low fee, and do a really good job out of it too. Some people would probably agree to do 25-50 (or more) submissions per dollar. JamieG is right, the more you pay someone, the more likely they are to meet your expectations.

dezinerite, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer the DIY method, i like to do it myself and currently cant afford editors even if i wanted to.

pipes, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  5. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what your criteria for approval is.

dnk, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  6. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok I had someone who Imho is a credible editor tell me for private directories the going rate short term jobs with private directories ranging from $12 to $25 an hour or work based on performance, paying in the range of 30 cents to 50 cents per edit.

jminscoe, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  7. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have data entry operators who can do directory submissions etc. but I do editing myself :) If you want to 'outsource' the editing part look for someone who is already running a directory and has the bandwidth to manage another one.

If you can come up with a 'concrete' set of guidelines someone might be able to follow them but directory editing is more or less 'taking a subjective decision' :)

jitendraag, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  8. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I wouldn't hire an editor for approving links in a general directory, as like you said he may just approve anything for the payment.

I hire an Indian hard worker called Naresh. He adds around 500 sites to my niche directory each week. The work is quality and he's added 1250 sites up until now. Amazing work. I pay him 50 cents per site added and I found him at DP. A directory is only as good as its editors. Finding an editor that works hard is not an easy job.

mikey1090, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  9. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would be careful with who you hire - the rates quoted by jimsncoe are about right on target though.

One thing to remember is that if your directory is free, approve them as quickly as you can but don't get too flustered if it takes a bit of time to get to them. They are free submissions after all. The key is make sure they are all reviewed for standards and quality however long that takes.

swedal, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  10. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    You can approve/reject 100-150 submissions in less than 1 hour. Then why you need hire somebody to do that?

hhheng, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  11. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not the way I review them - maybe 5 or 6 an hour for me at best.

swedal, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  12. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Hmm, a big difference and probably it shows in the quality of your work. :)

JamieG, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  13. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've been hiring editors for years, former or present DMOZ, Skaffe or JoeAnt trained editors are the best and you can check the topic they edit for editing quality.

stoner3221, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  14. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Dmoz don't train editors so I'm told by quite a few I know? Perhaps I'm wrong though.

JamieG, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  15. adda4u

adda4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i can help u

100 Links - $6

Regards
    sri

adda4u, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  16. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Correct. They tell you to go read some of the internal pages, once you misinterpret any of the guidelines they screw you hard.

Spider-Man, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  17. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    I was trained by by DMOZ editors who were my senior and would point out errors I made in my edits. You either learned from the suggestions or you got booted.

18. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    'Errors' - You're lucky, I got told I had 1 chance or I was out. Seems they lied, though.

Spider-Man, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  19. adsenseindia

adsenseindia Banned

Best Answers:
    you can hirement a cheap indian, and he will make quality for you for sure !

adsenseindia, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  20. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    How can you edit English language submissions correctly if your English is poor?