1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ASP native dll access

Discussion in 'C#' started by mxb7642, May 28, 2008.

Hello. I'm very new to ASP, vb, and vbscript so please bare with me. I am trying to access a native dll using vbscript from an asp file. Is this possible? If so, can you please provide an example? Thank You for any help.

mxb7642, May 28, 2008 IP
  2. itcn

itcn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    itcn, May 29, 2008 IP
  3. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    If you are on a Windows shared hosting plan it is more likely you cannot access any DLL, VBS or EXE file unless your hosting plan expressly allows it.

Trusted Writer, May 29, 2008 IP
  4. mxb7642

mxb7642 Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks for the help and sorry for the long reply wait. i am using asp.net, not classic. i am not on shared host so i do have access to the dlls and i have actually managed to acces a .net dll, but the native one is giving me a lot of trouble. i looked at the link you provided and tried adding the dll path to the path environment variable as well as changing the permissions on the file both of which did not help :(

this is the error i am getting - Could not load file or assembly 'Envelope' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

mxb7642, May 29, 2008 IP
  5. itcn

itcn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You do have the dll in your bin folder, correct? Hmmm, I'm stumped on that one, because I don't have a way to test .. hopefully someone smarter than I will come along to assist :)

itcn, May 29, 2008 IP
  6. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    What's in the dll, where'd you get it, all that?

You need to put it in the bin folder, the GAC, or somewhere else where it's accessible to IIS. Then you need to create a reference to it in your project. If it's a .net assembly, you should be able to pull in the namespace ( using in C# ... import? in vb ) and use the objects. But, if you mean it's a COM+ dll when you say native, you're going to need some kind of interop code.

Forrest, Jun 4, 2008 IP