1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google is broken, My conspiracy theory.

Discussion in 'Google' started by Roman, Apr 12, 2006.

Sorry about the title Minstrel;)

There have been some weird goings-on at Google and I have been following them closely.

I have established a working theory that something, somehow went very wrong at Google between October 2005 and January 2006.

The fine people as Google have been working feverishly to correct the problem, but no matter what they do, the problem(s) is/are cascading.

There is a major cover-up going on and it is my mission to expose it.

Roman, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  2. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    What problems are ya having Roman?

SEO Jeff, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  3. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    I am amassing my examples of the 'Great Google Conspiracy' and will post them when I have solid evidence.;)

No problems, just weird goings-on.

I think Shawn may be on it too, switching to Yahoo ads and all;)

The truth is out there:)

Roman, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The conspiracy theories are definitely out there. Then again, they have been for some time.

Ever rebuild a computer, trying to reload everything from an older damaged drive? or even from an older non-damaged drive? Think maybe 20-40 gigs of data to transfer for a home system.

Now multiply that by a few thousand or maybe a few million. And it's not one computer - it's a large network of computers. That would take a while. And there would be a few glitches while you were in process.

Now let's assume that while you were doing all this, you were also upgrading the operating systems and repairing formulae in spreadsheets and databases on those computers as you went along. That would slow the process down a bit more and require a fair bit of tweaking, checking, cross-checking, rechecking, and re-tweaking as you went along.

Pretty big job, huh?

While you were in the middle of it, would you describe your network as broken? or would it be more accurate to describe it as an upgrade in process?

minstrel, Apr 12, 2006 IP
    Roman likes this.
  5. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:

Upgrade in progress. Otherwise it would not be a conspiracy;)

Minstrel, I dub thee: Googlemeister:)

Roman, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  6. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In the past few weeks, some of my websites had their indexed pages reduced from 10k-60k to 200-400 pages.

It unbelieveable for me at least. Add that to the list. (anyone noticing the same experience with their sites?)

Hi Roman.

Cristian Mezei, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  7. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Hi Expertu,

Now this is what I'm talking about.

Roman, Apr 12, 2006 IP
    Cristian Mezei and Jat like this.
  8. dburdon

dburdon Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not so sure there's a conspiracy. Agree, Google could be having some technical problems. In reality they've created a commercial monster that's getting ever more monstrous by the day. I now meet 50/60 year olds that 2 years ago wouldn't have used a computer. Today, they all talk about Google.

dburdon, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Yes. As I said in another thread, the number of pages had started increasing again and yesterday were back down again.

But as I also said since (1) PR of the pages on those sites has increased or remained the same, (2) SE rankings have not changed, and (3) traffic has not changed, could it not be that Google is simply not reporting the correct number of pages in the index?

minstrel, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  10. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mine have not increased. :)

Cristian Mezei, Apr 13, 2006 IP
    Roman likes this.
  11. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I saw that happen to a site a couple of weeks ago. Went from over 20,000 pages indexed to under 1,000. Today it is up to over 20,000 pages indexed again. SO whatever happened it looks like it was fixed. :)

Web Gazelle, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  12. FujitsuBoy

FujitsuBoy Guest

Best Answers:
    I've definitely noticed strange behaviour with Google's search engine and crawlers over the last few months. Little glitches here and there, big glitches with 100s of forum threads everywhere... I don't think I'd call it a conspiracy. Not to be a spoilsport though ;)

Minstrel - excellent analogy for rollouts. It really makes you think about the sheer size of the operation to control the amount of data Google hold.

FujitsuBoy, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Remember also this is not your average rollout - this is a hardware/infrastructure upgrade, aka Big Daddy.

minstrel, Apr 13, 2006 IP