1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need domain advice, please read

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Ulquiorra, Jun 4, 2008.

Hi,
    I'm looking for a good name for my portfolio, but having difficulties choosing between one of two domains:

One of them is my name as in: firstlast.net (com not available). My name is not very common, is hard to spell, pronounce and remember. This is why I have second thoughts about getting it - on the other hand, it is my name.

The other one is my first initial followed by my last name. The only reason I'd get this is because it makes a funny and easy to remember domain, something similar to etvet.net (lol), and let's say my popular nickname is the two letter "et".

Anyway, I need advice on which of the above I should choose: In a nutshell, readability and rememberability vs myname.

+Rep for inputs.

Ulquiorra, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  2. HostColor

HostColor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    If it will be for a personal blog, you can use both your first name only or your last - of course if the chosen domains are free for registration. Otherwise you can just put something that will be related with the content of the blog, without your name on it. Or just some short name of yours followed by the word that best describes the portfolio you are presenting on the website.

Its all up to the domain availability and what you really want :)

Good Luck!
    A.

HostColor, Jun 4, 2008 IP
    Ulquiorra likes this.
  3. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Thanks for the input, though this is for a portfolio and not a blog. I see that myname.net will be a better investment than something that wouldn't have any meaning when read across (unless the meaning is already known).

Thanks! +Rep.

Ulquiorra, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  4. MKHost Ltd

MKHost Ltd Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah good domain ideas.

However you need something that is more catchy to everyone in general, you could have a domain that is catchy to you and your friends but when it comes to the public it may not be. I suggest using initials and making a portfolio domain that way.

For example you could use MKPortfolio if it was MKHost.

Short, snappy and to the point are the best ways to approach it.

Regards.

MKHost Ltd, Jun 4, 2008 IP
    Ulquiorra likes this.
  5. sydneyaus

sydneyaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go for the catchy and funny name and try to avoid names prone to spelling mistakes. You could also reg both names and redirect one of them, but in my experience funny and catchy names always work. Success!

sydneyaus, Jun 4, 2008 IP
    Ulquiorra likes this.