1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Exact match overide Broad?

Discussion in 'Bing Ads' started by muchacho79, May 30, 2008.

I know this is how it should work, and it does in Adwords, however I'm finding both Yahoo & MSN have missed thousands of obvious things completely out so just asking, have MSN sorted it so that if you have:

widgets (exact match)
    widgets (broad match)

and somebody searches for widgets your exact matched widgets will always be triggered?

Cheers in advance.

muchacho79, May 30, 2008 IP
  2. SandOtter

SandOtter Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm pretty sure you cannot have a broad match and exact match for the same term (unless you bid the broad match so low as to make it not trigger...ever).

so, therefore, an exact match will always trump a broad match.

SandOtter, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  3. muchacho79

muchacho79 Active Member

Best Answers:

You can if they have different match types.

I have 2 campaigns (example):

Widgets - Broad
    Widgets - Exact

My broad matched keywords are there to be triggered if the user doesn't type in any of my keywords exactly (in other words to give me more long tailed keywords).

Since my original post, it seems that MSN, like Google, has it so that any exact match is triggered before the broad match version, which is what I needed to know. This is also regardless is CPC.

muchacho79, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  4. speda1

speda1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe you are correct.

speda1, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  5. Nav19

Nav19 Peon

Best Answers:
    SandOtter..You can have a term with multiple match types. I don't know where you heard that from...

I actually set my phrase/broad match CPCs -$0.01 from Exact. So..Exact $0.10, Phrase $0.09, Broad $0.08.

I've found this the most effective way of management match type bids in MSN and to ensure your Exact match CPC will be triggered.

Remember, MSN wants your money!

Cheers!

Nav19, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  6. muchacho79

muchacho79 Active Member

Best Answers:

This is why I started the initial thread, because I use Google 90% of the time. Even if I had:

[blue widgets] 0.01 Max CPC.
    "blue widgets] 0.17 Max CPC
    blue widgets 0.94 CPC

and somebody typed in Blue Widgets (Exactly), it would still trigger my [blue widgets] keyword even though I have only bidded 0.01

For what it's worth I do think MSN also do this. Exact match will be triggered before any other match type if possible. Yahoo on the other hand - well, they do whatever they can do take your money.

For me, Google kicks arse over MSN & Yahoo. MSN (imo) also beats Yahoo overall. All Yahoo is seeing at the moment is smoke and look more like quitting the race as time goes on. They could just ask people like me and I'd gladly email them about literally 100 obvious problems (both MSN & Yahoo) have.

muchacho79, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  7. Nav19

Nav19 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice Muchacho...

Just to be safe in Google, I will add all the keywords in my broad adgroups as negative exacts. This will ensure the broad keywords do not match to exacts, no matter what the CPC. =)

Nav19, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  8. muchacho79

muchacho79 Active Member

Best Answers:

MSN only allow so many negatives don't they?
    The only benefit I can see with doing this (if exact does overide broad in MSN) is if your exact campaign runs up to it's daily budget... when this happens your broad matched keywords would be triggered everytime as the exact match can't be.

muchacho79, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  9. Nav19

Nav19 Peon

Best Answers:
    I was referring to Google. =) "Just to be safe in Google"

Good Luck!

Nav19, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  10. muchacho79

muchacho79 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ha that's what happens when you are trying to multi task about 23 things at once :D

muchacho79, Jun 5, 2008 IP