1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you wasting $7,000+ a year?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by DavidHall, Jun 3, 2008.

Take a look at these possible fee's....

The above is just a rough example of what it can take to even start getting a near successful web site from scratch. That's $7,000, in a year.

So let's say you want to purchase an established web site instead, that earns $20 a day. That's $140 a week, $560 a month and $6,720 a year. If the site is fully automated, then you can pay up to 24x annual revenue, so that's up to $13,440.

I see people wasting their money by spending the above, time and time again. All that money spent for a web site that you can create from scratch, without spending anything on advertising, if you use the right marketing strategies.

Here's some of the mistakes you could be making along the way...

Rumor #1
    I can just buy back links, it's alright.

If you're happy to pay for things you should be getting for free, that's fine by me, it's not my money you're losing. However, don't complain when you stop paying them and your web site losses it's Page Rank, drops in it's search engine rankings, resulting in much less hits, resulting in much less revenue.

If you start paying for back links, you're tied into it. If you stop paying these web sites you can also lose the back link which has an impact directly on your web site.

Rumor #2
    If I buy an already established web site, it's easy to make a return on investment.

It's easy to get stung when buying an established web site. You look at the details, the stats. the revenue and think 'Oh, wow, what a great deal'. However, if you do this, make sure you find out where that traffic is coming from. Often there's expenses involved which are kept a secret. Quite sharply and most certainly painfully, a profit can turn into a nightmare of a loss. For example, if the previous webmaster had purchased high Page Rank back links to the web site for a couple of months, you will lose that back link unless you continue to pay for it, resulting in your Page Rank falling, taking the whole web site with it.

Rumor #3
    Submit your site to 7,835 search engines and directories!

You will see these offers time and time again and people fall for them time and time again. If you want your web site listed in search engines and directories where hardly anyone will click your link, or worse, even see your link amongst the pages of other links to web sites with webmasters having exactly the same idea, then be my guest. Google measures the importance of a web site based on many things, but one of the most important things is the back links. How important would Google think your web site is if it's listed on the same site as 2,000+ other web sites on the same topic? Yeah, not very, it could actually do more harm than good.

If you want to build a site for the long-term, forget about the above rumours, create a fresh, legitimate website that people will actually want to visit and want to link to.

DavidHall, Jun 3, 2008 IP
    jitendraag likes this.
  2. InfoSmith

InfoSmith Peon

Best Answers:
    What's your point?

InfoSmith, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  3. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What was your point? I missed it.

live-cms_com, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  4. DavidHall

DavidHall Active Member

Best Answers:
    The point is, people who are purchasing links in bulk, paying to have their website submitted to thousands of search engines and directories, are creating low-quality websites that are only going to survive in the short term, until Google gets wise to it.

To have a website sustain itself in Google's rankings for years. You have to get your website natural links, have site's with good PR link back to you, but sites that are actually content rich and not selling links to another 20 people aswell.

That's the point, people are spending to get the backlinks that won't last forever, because there's normally a monthly, or yearly fee. However if you actually build a content rich website and people actually link to you in their articles, then they are not going to take that backlink away from you after a month or so of you not giving them any money.

DavidHall, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  5. Johnuno11

Johnuno11 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ummmmmmmmmm okay.

Johnuno11, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  6. JohnS0N

JohnS0N Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your conclusions are based on the web as it was in '99. Back then you could create a webpage with rich content and just wait till someone visits you and link to you.

Today all this has evolved and no matter how many hundred of good articles or services you have no one will find you, if you're not spreading the word. And to spread the word you need either some sort of advertising, social media or SEO. Only then once you give this boost to your website, people will be able to naturally link to you. They won't find you else.

And according to the popular belief today that directory submission is worthless. It's not. I usually target a new website for 3 main keywords. I managed to get page 1 results for all these 3 keywords with directory submission only, resulting in about 50 UV daily only from these keywords. It is true however, these keywords are not highly competitive, but more in the moderate to low competition area. How can 1500 UV/month be a waste of a one time investment of $50-$100 for directory submission? You can always do it yourself too and save the money, but you may have more important things to do in that time.

JohnS0N, Jun 3, 2008 IP
    SEOLinker likes this.
  7. jk76

jk76 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you Johnson. There are too many aspects of building a business around a website. And web and SEO are evolving. But I guess it still comes to why are you building your website.

jk76, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  8. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    One well written article, promoted a little, will gain better backlinks than most directory links. And it's free, just a little knowledge and time required to write the article.

live-cms_com, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  9. World_Peace

World_Peace Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I say, Unique and interesting content, Good Site design, Directory submission (Article and normal directories), article submission to other site accepting articles (Other than directories) and commenting on blogs are the main ways to promote a site naturally and yes i forgot the social network (what ever people call it, cause i don't use it but yes it is one of the biggest way to get traffic).

I think by above mentioned ways one can easily get a nice PR and also traffic for the site...

World_Peace, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  10. Freemantle

Freemantle Banned

Best Answers:
    Yup, solid content will do solid stuff. Eventually. But until that eventually happens I feel a lot like the waitress whose "real job" is being an actress...

I've had some stuff draw in traffic spikes from SU. Fine but eventually those social network spikes seem to not put a lot of link weight in the balance.

Buying links seems to me the start a site often needs.

Freemantle, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  11. onlineshopping

onlineshopping Banned

Best Answers:
    I found the same question is being asked , just the previous one was on monthly basis. and you have place yearly basis.
    Still buying links may not help your website.

onlineshopping, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  12. CommonDavid

CommonDavid Peon

Best Answers:
    I just want someone to make me a website for free that will make me ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

CommonDavid, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  13. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    You can buy some high pr links to help but directories and natural links are best way to go. No matter what you do make sure any site you want link from is a good quality site or page not just links

rcj662, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  14. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    If you want to make some serious money you will have to invest some serious money.
    There is no way you can make thousands of $$$ without a good budget.

zexy, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  15. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you must invest some money to try and make some money for sure

templates, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  16. ljastangs21

ljastangs21 Banned

Best Answers:
    This is true for about 99% of the people but for everyone.

ljastangs21, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  17. viral apps

viral apps Peon

Best Answers:
    I still like to buy my traffic instead of using seo tactics.

viral apps, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  18. Bloomtools

Bloomtools Peon

Best Answers:
    Wonderful, so be ready for penalization ...

I think DP is the best place for White Hat one.

If you don't have enough quality than you are only limited to the service section of DP to buy and sell links.

Here you can't share any good knowledge or thoughts, cz you are not believing seo...

Bloomtools, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  19. JohnS0N

JohnS0N Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Combine it with proper (a few titles, multiple descriptions) directory submission and other linking methods and you'll end up even higher in the SERPs. Why limit yourself?

JohnS0N, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  20. lijgeo

lijgeo Banned

Best Answers:
    so what you trying to say?

what you want to do ?

what you suggest?

lijgeo, Jun 5, 2008 IP