1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Inner PR Observation

Discussion in 'Directories' started by werewe12, May 31, 2008.

This is just an observation. Take it for what it’s worth, and make your own judgments…

I have a directory which used to have a high PR on both home and inner pages. During the G attack on web directories the PR across the entire site went to '0'.

I used to run a few other sites – a template site and blog resource site. Eventually those sites were shut down and the PR’s also went very low. However, those domains were still receiving traffic from search engines and other sites that were still linking back. I forwarded the domains to the directory’s specific category pages to refer some traffic. Now I check those domains’ PR and they are what the categories’ PR used to be.

werewe12, May 31, 2008 IP
  2. newbie3

newbie3 Peon

Best Answers:
    what a story ... :p

My inner pagerank went from PR3 on inner pages to pr N/A and i recieved a serp penalty

Changed some things on my site, fill in a reinclusion request. They gave me back my pagerank, not my serps.
    2 weeks later there is a pagerank update, and ... inner pagerank gone again :D

newbie3, May 31, 2008 IP
  3. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think redirecting old/inactive domains to your directory "might" hurt in the longrun.

Read the following from the AvivaDirectory Blog:

Just some food for thought:)

tmeyer45458, May 31, 2008 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its something i wouldn't personally do or recommend.

pipes, May 31, 2008 IP
  5. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    OP - something I suspected for quite some time - the few I mentioned it to thought me paranoid. Until I proved it to them a while back and they are now believers.

There are good and bad ways to use redirects and unless the g-men can easily differentiate between them - well they need to get over themselves on this one.

Pipes - Redirects are something that is extremely common for business purposes.

There comes a point when you have to forget about G-men and do what is best for your business and clients.

For example when marketing to someone looking for fixer upper homes or real estate investors looking for properties to flip or rent what url stands out and says find them here? ColoradoFixerUppers.com does just that and is not something I would actually try to brand myself into, but it is something I can advertise which is easy to remember for those interested.

Same thing goes for listing a individual home for sale. A person can easily upload pics and information on a listing to a site and then purchase the address of the home as a domain and redirect that to the individual page of the website. Should I have to build an entire site to market one home for sale?

I would suggest that maybe the G-mens real reason they don't like people doing redirects is they don't want site owners to see how they are misrepresenting the pr of some sites on their toolbar.

swedal, May 31, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  6. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Google is giving all pages that have a low code-text ratio PR n/a on the toolbar.

The PR still obviously exists as your pages will still rank in the SERPs. It's just there to deter link buyers on sites like directories with empty pages.

mikey1090, Jun 1, 2008 IP
    CourageTheCowardlyDog likes this.
  7. APUESTASTHOR

APUESTASTHOR Peon

Best Answers:
    gracias por el post, lo miraré

APUESTASTHOR, Jun 1, 2008 IP
  8. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think this is the reason your PR comes back.

hhheng, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  9. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im not saying that it comes back... I dont think it went away... just masked by the G to prevent link buyers to see the real deal.

werewe12, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  10. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by that Mike? We finished re-compiling the seo firms section of the directory in my sig and it has over 450 links in there all with unique descriptions but its still grey would that count as a low code-text ratio? Its the same with many categories we have, all blanked out.

JamieG, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  11. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mikey's theory sounds reasonable. But I would like to see a proof :)

jitendraag, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  12. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Definitely, while I don't think we'll ever see proof as such I'd like to see support of the theory either way. :)

JamieG, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  13. werewe12

Best Answers:
    I'm sure there are other factors too. I don't think they mask one category but not another.

werewe12, Jun 2, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  14. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I just prefer not to use them :) because i dont know how to. :)

Im aware theres a wrong way to use them though, and thats what i dont recommend.

pipes, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  15. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I have to be honest werewe12, I haven't got a clue what goes on with Google, what I do know is the system they currently employs doesn't do them any favours.

JamieG, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  16. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That gave me a good laugh.

I can point you to various directories that have inner PR with zero, nada, zilch content. Not even a link.

To say 'gaygle is giving' vs 'i think gaygle is doing such and such' is a huge difference.

You can't tell what gaygle is giving. nobody can but gaygle themselves.
    (I still think they dont know wtf they are doing and screwing up the serps after every update, but that's just me)

Mikey, you seem like an alright guy, but your advice as well as time taken to strengthen your points just don't seem to be there to back up your statements and are easily proven wrong; especially with statements like what you mentioned above.

While people may see 11,000+ posts, they also need to know that it is definitely not indicative of your overall experience or know-how.

e.d.i.t.
    This isn't a flame, nor a means to make you feel bad in any way. It's how I feel and what I see, and have been seeing on these forums for months on end now.

an0n, Jun 2, 2008 IP
    JamieG and jitendraag like this.
  17. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    This is the point I was trying to make, empty pages with PR, full unique content pages with nothing, it makes a mockery out of PR.

On a side note, I'm not sure its Mikey's fault people take it for granted that posts mean knowledge, its nativity of the newcomer and the way a select few big each other up because of this. There's quite a few on here who post for the sake of posting and you just know they haven't got a clue about the subject. I suppose they have to justify selling their sigs.

Mikey isn't one of them btw, he just has a lot of posts under his belt.

JamieG, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  18. werewe12

Best Answers:
    G differs so very often that I think we can both agree on this point. That's why I don't bother reading up on every little update that goes on in SEO land. Frankly, traffic is what I am looking for, and if a redirect will bring the specific traffic which I am looking for to a better resource than that's what will be done. I would rather build my own brand with the best intentions.

Like it or not... Google is doing pretty well. Although, not at their peak, you can check the stock charts and find them at a relatively good position from their low point back in March.

Anyways... days keep passing and time keeps flying. It's time to concentrate on whats best for us and our own websites. If that means spendin' a bit of money and promotion rather than letting G automate business for us, so be it.

werewe12, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Not bothered whether they stay billionaires or go bankrupt with a class action the one thing that isn't doing very well is PR.

JamieG, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  20. hecto

hecto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they killed my inner pr's too...I hope with the next update i will get them back coz I done some good linking.

hecto, Jun 3, 2008 IP