1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

hackers.... help me

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by lewt24, May 28, 2008.

hello,
    okay just been hacked and lost everything
    got the log file of the attack
    also got there ip (98.222.156.246)

any information people can get on them is great

also any help in ways of tracking them is great and also any advice on how to track them and take them down...

sooner the better....

am ringing the local police station today (as soon as they open) to report this but dont really know what else to do...

lewt24, May 28, 2008 IP
  2. calum

calum Peon

Best Answers:
    calum, May 29, 2008 IP
  3. ChrisMiller

ChrisMiller Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    dude that sucks i would contact local police or FBI office with this information if you want to take this to the next level if he lived in any other country you wouldn't have a chance......
    -Chris

ChrisMiller, May 29, 2008 IP
  4. herolo

herolo Peon

Best Answers:
    You cant do nothing,why? beacuse with IP you just have info about his ISP,and maybe he used VPN or Proxy,its better to pay this "hacker" to help you to secure your site/host.

FBI or any institution like this dont care about that ; )

Believe me

herolo, May 29, 2008 IP
  5. ThreeGuineaWatch

ThreeGuineaWatch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's unlikely he was using a box with an IP address that can be easily traced back to him.

Right about now is a good time to start thinking about planning a back up schedule for your servers ;)

ThreeGuineaWatch, May 29, 2008 IP
  6. Western

Western Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello , the best way is Contacting federal Fbi or Interpol Police and describing all happened would be great
    i think you got keylogged by Hackers
    read more about internet fraud

Western, May 29, 2008 IP
  7. herolo

herolo Peon

Best Answers:
    They're not hackers,they are script kiddies.

I have experience with that,and Interpol or FBI wont help you,believe me

herolo, May 29, 2008 IP
  8. Randombase

Randombase Peon

Best Answers:
    Right, every hacker is a scriptkiddy, keep believing that and it might just become true.

And a note to the topic starter; you got screwed over by them pretty badly if you lost everything, but if you didn't keep backups, it's your mistake too. You should always be ready for things like this to happen. Legally, you barely can do anything, you can report him at or something, but they will only start an investigation if he has been reported before that already, lots of times.

Taking down this single hacker will solve all future problems, you're absolutely correct :).

Randombase, May 29, 2008 IP
  9. lewt24

lewt24 Banned

Best Answers:
    thankyou for all your help people
    going to call comcast on Wednesday with my lawyer and see what we can do...

lewt24, May 29, 2008 IP
  10. Jatt4lyfe

Jatt4lyfe Guest

Best Answers:
    Comcast is shit. They wouldn't give you the details unless its a court order but they will term the fucker.

Jatt4lyfe, May 29, 2008 IP
    Spider-Man likes this.
  11. sikk08

sikk08 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you're a bank that just lost millions of dollars... I doubt the police of FBI will get involved.

sikk08, May 29, 2008 IP
  12. AFitch

AFitch Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, the FBI doesn't care. If it was as easy as having a single server hacked, with a log & an IP, and just calling the FBI, then I would create abunch of fake logs for people that I don't like.

(to people who replied with, "CALL THE FBI!") Honestly, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't say anything at all, you are just spreading mis-information and confusing people with questions even more.

Don't even bother paying a lawyer, he is ripping you off too if he thinks he can help you. There would be insufficient evidence to get anyone in trouble. There is no way you could prove WITHOUT A DOUBT(ever heard of proxies, spyware, or ip spoofing), that the "guy in the log" is 100% responsible.

Take it as a lesson learned, and read some tutorials on basic server security, so it doesn't happen again.

If you need help securing your server, just let me know your OS and I can push you in the right direction.

AFitch, May 29, 2008 IP
  13. herolo

herolo Peon

Best Answers:
    I talk about that whole time

herolo, May 29, 2008 IP
  14. freelink4u

freelink4u Banned

Best Answers:
    all i can say is that you need to improve your security.i have been rooted due to buggy security on my server several months back.i dont think that fbi or interpol can help you for such a small case.there are big frauds happening on net.even in millions which are still in files.i think it will not help allot

freelink4u, May 29, 2008 IP
  15. lewt24

lewt24 Banned

Best Answers:
    its a linux server so any info will help loads :)

lewt24, May 29, 2008 IP
    Spider-Man likes this.
  16. calum

calum Peon

Best Answers:
    The FBI doesn't get involved unless over $5000 in damage has been caused, which I highly doubt. Even then, they are only interested in the big problems where people have lost over $100,000.

Use the contact info I gave in the first post, include all logs with ip addresses and times (times are needed). The most that will happen is comcast cutting of the service, but even that is unlikely.

calum, May 29, 2008 IP
  17. theman12468

theman12468 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well everyone spoke a little too soon...lewt could have lost millions...

theman12468, May 29, 2008 IP
  18. lewt24

lewt24 Banned

Best Answers:
    well theoretically if i sold all those sites in the state they were before the hacker it would be over $5000 so then i could get the FBI involved....
    but i think getting in touch with comcast will do
    and also naming and shaming this person will be good too... prob find hes some kid who lives with his parents so a nice little letter to his parents would do good to (lets just hope i get there address lol)

lewt24, May 29, 2008 IP
  19. calum

calum Peon

Best Answers:
    Comcast wont give you his address, name or anything. They wont even tell you what has happened to him because of privacy laws.

Best they will do is cut of his service, which is probably not even going to happen.

Even if it was over $5000, the FBI are overloaded with big sites who have lost millions, and it costs over $50,000 for the FBI to arrest and prosecute someone.

Also, if they are under 16 or 18 (not sure in america) then they wont get in any trouble at all, no matter how much damage they caused.

My advice, call comcast and in the future make backups.

theman12468, it was safe to assume he hasn't lost millions, or else he wouldn't be posting on a webmaster forum for advice, he would have some team investigating it.

calum, May 30, 2008 IP
  20. Skullborg

Skullborg Guest

Best Answers:
    +1.

Also, people who use premade keyloggers ARE script kiddies. Hackers doesn't use keyloggers for offensive use, or just to harm people lelz. Also, the FBI wouldn't give a shit for this sort of attack, srsly man, contacting them is not even worth a try.

Skullborg, May 30, 2008 IP