1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying additional Ip addresses?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mizt, Apr 11, 2006.

I was taking a look at all the domains I currently own and realizes its time to do a little experimenting with different linking schemes, doorway pages etc.. I currently am hosted over at ASO w/ a VPS. I was wondering if I decide to purchase more ips for my hosting account, if that will have the same SEO benefit as if I got hosting accounts all over the place. I want to use some extra coop weight on some of these domains and see what happens but don't want to purchase another 10 hosting accounts. Thanks

mizt, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  2. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I suck it up and pay $5 - $9.95 / mo for each important domain at a different reseller. I consider it cheaper than purchasing a footer text link for that price each month and you have full control. I wouldn't give "different IPs" much credence if they are only a few numbers apart.

TheHoff, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  3. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    If the IP resolves to the same geographical location (your web host) then it will probably be flagged whether its a different number or not.

mad4, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  4. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    YES there is a big difference between buying multiple IP's for the one host, and buying seperate hosting accts.

Firstly, you need to keep in mind the whole reason for seperate IPs. Traceability. Becomes rather pointless if they all resolve through the same nameserver (C class or otherwise).

Next, consider the advantages of hosting across different continents. GeoIP is the best way to explain it. A site translated to French that is physically hosted in France may well fare better than a French site in Alaska.

And remember - while everyone carries on about ranking in datacenters, they overlook the changes in rank across language (ie multiple ranks from the same DC for different languages).

Basically, like 'thehoff' said, bite the bullet if you want a broader playing field.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Apr 11, 2006 IP
    TheHoff likes this.
  5. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    What you are trying to accomplish can get very, very costly. Keep in mind that you need possible hundreds of unique sites from different IPs before you start ranking. Best practise is to build your links the hard way as opposed to try to cut corners.

My 2cents.

guru-seo, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  6. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have a lot of sites, you may want to look at Hostland's reseller account. It's a static $50.00/month (US), and includes hosting for up to 5000 domains. In addition, the IPs are automatically spread over several C-blocks, so you can get a nice spread of IPs without having to pay extra. Probably not as ideal as using several different hosts, but it may be a good interim plan to accomplish your goals cost-effectively.

HTH,
    Sam

WebFreedom, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You want sites on different C Class IP Address blocks (not just different IP's)

dcristo, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  8. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Dont know if it'll ever materialize.. maybe as a forum or the like, but hostswap dot com (as a concept) is probably the only cost effective way to go about obtaining multiple accts, while keeping the dollars in check..

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  9. yannis

yannis Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone got experience with Hostland? I currently use Hostgator, but I am looking for hosting 500 websites and obviously Hostgator is not the answer. Any recommendations?

yannis, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  10. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Yannis,

I failed to mention that I also use Hostland for my hosting (not just that I know about it). :rolleyes: I've had good experience with them - the interface is pretty easy to use, and their Tech Support is very responsive and helpful. In addition, you can try out the reseller account I mentioned on a trial basis - 30 days for free, before providing payment info.

Sam

WebFreedom, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  11. yannis

yannis Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks.

I will give them a try.

yannis, Apr 25, 2006 IP