1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

30% of Americans under 30 get their news from Comedy Central

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Cyrus255, Apr 9, 2006.

1. munt

munt Peon

Best Answers:
    anyone that gets there news from 1 source is uninformed

munt, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  2. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.google.com/u/peoplepress?q=comedy+central
    I'm not seeing it... want to point it for me?

I can't counter facts if none are presented. :rolleyes:

But from your great buddies, the world renouned, internationally known, "Pew Research Center" I find this:

Hmmmm....

BTW: I'm informed, by DrudgeReport, Bill Maher, CNN.com, news.yahoo.com (AP, Reuters, etc), Alex Jones, and ocassionally the O'Rielly factor when I want a good laugh (he's such an idiot),

yo-yo, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  3. Cyrus255

Cyrus255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No wonder. Why I even bother to talk to you.

I give up. If you want to challenge a source that badly, rather than have a debate about the subject, do it on your time.

I'm not going to spend all day to verify every damn little fact for you.

I had a hard time finding it because apparently the exact percentage is 29%, according to the Annenberg Public Policy Center. The Niehlsen ratings (the one EVERYONE uses) also rated him at 22%, and I assume they have one in-depth that would be ~30% for under 30, as that is Comedy Central's niche audience.

Cyrus255, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  4. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You didn't even verify the SINGLE (scary, oh my) "fact" you're making claims to here. You just wrote some numbers with no source and expect us to believe you?

Get real. That's not how debate works. "Scary Fact".. there was no WMD in Iraq and Bush murdered 30,000+ Iraqi civilians while leaking CIA agent's names. If you want a source... go find it on your own time :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yo-yo, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  5. Cyrus255

Best Answers:

HYPOCRITE

Where's your sources?!?!

Here's an article translated from Arabic into english from a Senior Syrian Journalist (the equivalent of a Walter Cronkite) and satellite imagery of the places in which the Iraqi WMD are being held.

Iraq Weapons of Mass Destruction Moved to Syria

How many sources do you need? 42? 657?

Nizar Nayyouf is THE MOST famous journalist from Syria, held as a political prisoner, but released for fear he would die during his 20 day hunger strike. He fled to West Europe after his release.

In February 2003, a month before America's invasion in Iraq, very few are aware about the efforts by General Shalish to bring the Weapons of Mass Destruction from Iraq to Syria, and the personal involvement of Bashar Assad and his family in the operation.
    Nayouf, who has won prizes for journalistic integrity, says he wrote his letter because he has terminal cancer, [and doesn't fear retribution or assasination]

6. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hypocrite? Do you understand what "SARCASM" is?

I only need 1 source for your "fact".... you still haven't provided it though. Maybe because it doesn't exist? :D

yo-yo, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  7. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Smells like pot...calling the kettle black.

GTech, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  8. Cyrus255

Best Answers:
    I humour you. I googled it and this one does the purpose pretty well

You said you watch CNN right? I had to grab a transcript to get the well known fact you won't believe.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0401/12/ip.00.html

KURTZ: For Americans under 30, one in five say they regularly learn about the campaign from comedy programs such as "Saturday Night Live," and Jon Stewart's "Daily Show."

Unless you think Kurtz is not a credible source. It's on a bunch of news channels.

9. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm.... so your "fact" was 30% get news from comedy central, then YOUR source, says "saturday night live" which happens to be an NBC show...., and 1 in 5 would appear to me, to be 20%, not 30%.... seems you have fact and fiction mixed up ;) :D :rolleyes:

yo-yo, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  10. GTech

Best Answers:
    Intentionally misleading, again?

Actually it says the "daily show" as well. Since it's right after your observation of SNL, there's simply no way you could have missed it. Is this the same type of effort you put into molten steel?

GTech, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  11. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    people who watch the daily show have to be itnerested in politics and current events a bit already or its probably not very entertaining,

ferret77, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  12. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There was no need to mention it.

HIS CLAIM: was that 30% of people under 30 get their news from comedy central.

HIS SOURCE: says that 1 in 5 people (20% not 30%) get their news from COMEDY PROGRAMS.

Those are 2 very different things. Now that I've sorted out fact and fiction, his entire thread is pretty much pointless and his 'scary fact' isn't a fact at all.

To further show how misleading his original post was, from his own source again:

Another big winner, the Internet, with nearly one in five of those surveyed saying they regularly or sometimes get their political news online.

Most people don't get their news from 1 source, such as a "comedy program", they obviously have multiple sources. Not really scary at all :rolleyes:

yo-yo, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  13. GTech

Best Answers:
    1 in 5 is not far off from 30%. 1 in 5, 1 in 3 plus change. The point is valid, even if the percentage is off a little.

What you did though, was to intentionally leave out that the daily show was part of that, by suggesting that it was SNL ONLY.

You would have been better off not trying to hide that fact, and focusing on the minor 10% difference. Though not much of an argument, it wouldn't have given the impression you were trying to exclude the daily show, when it was clearly mentioned. On the other hand, you could have opted to leave out SNL, and mention only the daily show. But SNL wasn't in question, the daily show was.

GTech, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  14. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:

I thought it was anger's ungly cousin.

ServerUnion, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  15. Cyrus255

Best Answers:

Wow. Put words in my mouth.

I SAID I GOOGLED IT AND THAT WAS THE FIRST THING! I just wanted to give you a taste of what the news community was saying as you obviously have no clue. That was a sampling from a few months ago. Comedy Central's Daily Report/Colbert Report lineup has dramatically INCREASED in popularity recently.

Rather than admit you were wrong now that I have given your so desired sources, you will just try to play off technicalities.

How about the Nielsen Ratings, the #1 survey method used to determine show rankings, which says Daily Show has a 22% rating. Now, as Daily Show's demographic is under 30, it can be easily said that MORE than 30% of adults under 30 get their news from Jon Stewart.

16. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yawn... excuses and no sources. Just as I thought. :rolleyes:

yo-yo, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  17. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    49% of surveys and statistic are made up, 49% are biased, 2% never get published.

95% of forum trolls start a political tread and forget the facts to back it up

btw the weapons of mas destruction are here:

http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

I'll post more but I have to go and watch the daily show.

kalius, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  18. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Uhhh.............ok so from what it looks like now you made up information, can't back it up and now you're angry at others?

Dude sit the fuck down and shut up.

Dekker, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  19. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    They are attempting to set a good example for the rest of us.

Will.Spencer, Apr 10, 2006 IP