1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

write an article about your site on wikipedia? free backlink?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by cscott5288, May 6, 2008.

I was thinking about writing an article about my site on wikipedia, you could put a link to your site there, correct? is this an easy way to get free backlinks? anyone done it for this purpose?

cscott5288, May 6, 2008 IP
  2. casualmusic

casualmusic Active Member

Best Answers:
    It'd probably get marked for instant deletion unless your website is really famous. I wrote an article on the Japanese Wikipedia (ja.wikipedia.org) about my startup - it got marked for deletion within 10 minutes. Basically they said that since my company is virtually unknown to the world, my writing the article is considered advertisement and not a contribution to the online encyclopedia.

Ended up making a big fuss about it, so instead now there's a template tag saying that the article contains expressions that are advertisement-like.

So I guess my point is, if you can make a good argument, there's a chance it'll stay but otherwise, Wikipedia is filled with editors on a power trip, looking for every reason to delete your article.

casualmusic, May 6, 2008 IP
  3. LucioDiasRibeiro

LucioDiasRibeiro Peon

Best Answers:
    Spot on Dude!
    Also remember that Wikipedia's links are nofollowed

LucioDiasRibeiro, May 7, 2008 IP
  4. IIsDaBmb

IIsDaBmb Peon

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia is not a spam site. The editors are serious about this stuff and will remove it pretty quickly.

IIsDaBmb, May 7, 2008 IP
  5. peejaydee

peejaydee Peon

Best Answers:
    Since wikipedia is an enclopedia, you have to make sure that anything your write or link to is either encyclopedic in nature or of value to an existing page.
    Look for a subject that your site deals with in detail with original and unique content. Find a wikipedia page that relates to this subject (there will be plenty with different wording combinations) and see if there is something that you can add to the page content that is valuable. For example, some info that might be missing, a source to substantiate what someone else has written or an expansion of a paragraph already started.

If what you add is valuable and can be verfied or expanded upon by a page on your site, add a link to the relevant page in the external links section, usually at the bottom of the page.

This approach will allow you to add value to the page, gain a valid link and minimise your chances of being deleted. The key is to add value. If you can't add to a page or create a good informative page from scratch just leave it. Also, if you create a new page, try and add a mixture of links to good sources other than your own - this will also minimise your chances of being deleted.

peejaydee, May 7, 2008 IP
  6. skypeace

skypeace Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia uses nofollow

skypeace, May 7, 2008 IP
  7. bloguitar

bloguitar Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried this when I was starting to blog, but soon I realised two things. First, they removed the link very quickly, second, they use nofollow, so the link is useless :(

bloguitar, May 7, 2008 IP
  8. GreatDomainRace

GreatDomainRace Peon

Best Answers:
    They will delete it. It happened to me :(

You should try aboutus.org

GreatDomainRace, May 7, 2008 IP
  9. seconnection

seconnection Peon

Best Answers:
    wont ever make it online.

seconnection, May 7, 2008 IP
  10. SeattleCPA

SeattleCPA Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with posters. My wikipedia experience (which was very humbling) confirms wise advice shared above...

If a person did want to do this, IMHO, you'd want an outside PR firm to handle it for you. First, BTW, they'd been to spin some story about your firm and get that published someplace so your business was verifiable...

SeattleCPA, May 7, 2008 IP
  11. JackFlash444

JackFlash444 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia links can be pretty good for traffic - but as for the link, its NoFollow, making it useless for Google Rankings, still pretty good for Yahoo and MSN. If you want to get yourself on wikipedia, contribute to the knowledge somehow. Do a survey, or quick report that includes additional information not mentioned, then reference your site where you have that info.

JackFlash444, May 8, 2008 IP
  12. poshswinger

poshswinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    Even if your article get approved, the links there are still nofollow links.

poshswinger, May 8, 2008 IP
  13. abigail

abigail Peon

Best Answers:
    even your links is nofollow. It's Still Wikipedia...

abigail, May 9, 2008 IP
  14. LucioDiasRibeiro

LucioDiasRibeiro Peon

Best Answers:
    even your link is nofollow, it's still Wikipedia and not a Spam Farm :rolleyes:

LucioDiasRibeiro, May 25, 2008 IP
  15. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes your ephemeral minute of glory before getting your link deleted and your IP blocked if you are seriously devoted to spam.

Trusted Writer, May 26, 2008 IP
  16. sayitaintso

sayitaintso Peon

Best Answers:
    i was under the impression that the Reference section was dofollow, the rest were not but i'm certainly no expert

sayitaintso, May 26, 2008 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So does Adwords, yet look at the traffic that can pull in.

Wiki I find to be lacking in actual usable content and much of what is said there NEEDS to be backed up by something other then simply quoting the WIKI page. When times like that are needed I will start with the external links at the bottom of the page. If what I find there is seemingly usable I'll back those claims up. I will generally site the external link as my source on wherever I used the information (rather then Wiki).

Links are not always about the RP or even SERP... sometimes they are about the traffic, and what MANY webmasters are blind to, is the fact that HUMANS (ya know, those kind people that make us our money and click our links) DO follow Nofollow links...

Qryztufre, May 26, 2008 IP
  18. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL i have a certain niche that is listed on Wiki and at first when i used to post my link with all the other TOP business they would delete it and then i would repost . . . and the would delete it . . . after about 2-3 months of this fight the visitors and website have finally given in and accepted my site so it remains up there now LOL

locals, May 27, 2008 IP
  19. carleasingsecrets

carleasingsecrets Peon

Best Answers:
    if somehow you could get it approved, it will bring you good traffic to your site even if it's no follow.

carleasingsecrets, May 28, 2008 IP
  20. PlateFish

PlateFish Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't even bother. I wrote a legitmate article about online poker rigging for my poker forums with correct references etc but the editors are so ruthless that they picked tiny holes and managed to get it detailed. I spent a couple of hours writing an article with correct references and great information but it still got deleted.

Don't bother.

PlateFish, May 28, 2008 IP