1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling GPL for Profit -evil smile-

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by oneawesomeguy, May 27, 2008.

Hi Guys,

Let's say I modify some code that comes licensed under the GPL. Under the GPL, I am allowed to modify the code and sell it as long as I follow the terms of the GPL by giving those who buy my modified code access to the source and allowing them to freely distribute it.

My question is, if I modify GPL-licensed PHP code and add my own custom design to the package, what is considered an addition to the code that must also be licensed under the GPL?

My understanding is that the original work along with all the code modifications are licensed under the GPL, but the design along with its PHP and HTML code is considered separate and I can put any copyright I want on it.

Example: I modify the Drupal CMS to do something cool, like with an extension. I also create my own design for this Drupal site. What has to be licensed under the GPL?

Everyone is free to answer and debate, but please do inform me if you are just speculating or if you know what you are talking about as this is an important matter to me.

oneawesomeguy, May 27, 2008 IP
  2. newrhodes

newrhodes Active Member

Best Answers:
    Look at this

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLCommercially

Quote :

However, in many cases you can distribute the GPL-covered software alongside your proprietary system. To do this validly, you must make sure that the free and non-free programs communicate at arms length, that they are not combined in a way that would make them effectively a single program.

Unquote

In your above query - if by design you mean a template, or some graphics; my understanding is that this NEED NOT be under GPL, you could use a commercial or other free license.

Extension - this again depends - it could be with a non-GPL license. I'm not familiar with Drupal extensions - but if you check out the joomla extensions directory, you will find several that are non-GPL, commercial licensed, even though Joomla itself is under the GPL.

http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,listupdated/cat_id,0/Itemid,35/

In practice, how do you know what can be with non-GPL license? Depends on your code, and how it interacts with the GPL code. I'd suggest you look for a competent lawyer who understands the GPL and can advise you on your specific case.

Best wishes.

newrhodes, May 27, 2008 IP
    oneawesomeguy likes this.
  3. oneawesomeguy

oneawesomeguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha, I knew someone was going to quote that GPL.org thing. Anyways thanks you for your answer. I was not aware plugins/extensions were currently being produced that do not follow the GPL.

oneawesomeguy, May 27, 2008 IP
  4. dprundle

dprundle Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't re-write / add code and release it as pay-software. However, you can sell templates and plug-ins for GPL software as non-GPL plugins and templates.

dprundle, May 27, 2008 IP
    oneawesomeguy likes this.