1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Here's my new site : LoveMyDoggy.com

Discussion in 'Websites' started by eddy2099, Apr 10, 2006.

This is my first post here so be gentle on me.

I've just started a Dog Picture Rating Site/Community at Love My Doggy http://www.lovemydoggy.com . Typically, it is for members to post pictures of their dogs, get them rated by other members and at the same time, get to know other dog lovers from across the globe and share pet tips and hopefully gain a new friend.

Let me know what you think of the site and if you want, feel free to post to it.

Thanks.

eddy2099, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    jim likes this.
  2. walaboom

walaboom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the main pager top banner is too big, plus the adsense right under it took up even more space in the main page. IMO, main page can give people good impression. Also may be a little darker/bigger font.

I like the overall design

Tony T
    www.CarolinaFishTalk.com

walaboom, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  3. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I can't change the top banner as it will mess the design up but I've moved the Adsense banner to the bottom so it would not get too distracting. I've bold and increase the fonts especially for the hyperlinks too.

Hope that is better.

4. melaniejk

melaniejk Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi.
    Cute puppy pictures in the logo.

It's a bit difficult to read the title on the buttons:
    Search, Comments, etc.
    The letters are all scrunched together.
    I would use a different font to make it easier on the eyes.

melaniejk, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    jim likes this.
  5. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Is it better now ?

6. Subzero

Subzero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Looks nice, like the design

Subzero, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  7. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Dogs sure looks very cute.

8. Nakirema

Nakirema Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the design but I still think the Menu link on top are still hard to read... The main body of the page look clean and nice.

The Girls with dogs link does not work.. If its because there are no posts, you need to display a message to the user so they don't think its a problem with the page..

It seems only 2 links on the right navi works.. The Guys with Dogs and the rate all..

On the forum: I would suggest to set the link's text on hover the same size as the link text size.. It's kind of annoying to see the forum bouncing around when I hove rover the links..

I'm not sure, but I would think that the shop is not part of your shop.. You should try to fit it into your site more.. The colors are diiferent and the width is larger then your site..

Other than what I mentioned above, its a great site.. I have a dog and it seems like a site my wife would love... She Japanese, so if you start a Japanese version let me know.. :)

Nakirema, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  9. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool. Thanks for your comments. Yes, I would think that when there is no entries that category would not work. I did not write the script so I guess I would have to inform the developers about it.

True, the shop is not part of the site, I can't quite work the width but let me see what I can do about it and the color.

I don't understand Japanese so I guess that that would not be happening that soon but will definitely consider it once this site gets popular.

10. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Firstly, great concept. My wife and I can really appreciate this as we are huge dog lovers and belong to several animal rescue groups. I would like to see a description of the site's purpose in big letters somewhere near the top.

Maybe "Welcome to Love My Doggy: a community for dog lovers to share pictures of their pets."

Something like that. I find it hard to scan through all that tiny text looking for the main purpose of the site.

jim, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  11. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Jim, Thank you very much. I believe I have implemented several of your suggestions. I am working around this cumbersome script to make the rest of the changes.

I hope you don't mind but I've added your tag line to my signature. Sounds cool

eddy2099, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  12. chawlars

chawlars Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good site, few suggestions, Links under view and vote did not work, I think you can also think of putting some articles about dog care as vaccination, hygeine and health care etc.

chawlars, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  13. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I believe the script requires some entries in those category for it to work. At the moment, mine is the only post with pictures.

As for the articles, I am planning to use the forum as a platform for that. I am getting some experts in the subject to post in there. Feel free to contribute any articles in the forum, we would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks.

14. OpelGTMan

OpelGTMan Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the menu's still need some work but overall, nice site.

OpelGTMan, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  15. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I'll definitely look into it. The template doesn't quite give me a lot of space to work with. And the fonts if too small get crunched together and if it is bigger, it does not feed into that box provided.

I will experiment further to see what works. Probably shorten the text further.

16. CoraLyn

CoraLyn Member

Best Answers:
    This is a wonderful idea and I see from previous posts that there are a lot of very good suggestions on how to enhance the visitor experience. We have 2 doggies (as you can see) and we also have 6 cats for our family.

Keep on going, this is great!!
    Many Blessings
    CoraLyn

CoraLyn, Apr 11, 2006 IP
    jim likes this.
  17. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much :)

There are just too many Hot or Not type sites for people but our 4 legged friends just did not get the respect they deserves. I am sure as animal lovers, we are very proud of them and do count them as part of our family, our perpetual little babies.

I thought something like this would be great.

18. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just made a quick update. Hope that it is better now :)

eddy2099, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  19. JudyJiaStyle

JudyJiaStyle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like the big dog in the top banner, it just makes you go awww. :) Is there anywhere you can put an entry on the front page? Like, who's winning today! I think that would be a more persuasive way to get people to join other than a whole bunch of text. And you can add some cellpadding in the table so the text doesn't look too packed.

This might be just my LCD screen, but when I click on a name, the page it takes me to has red links against the dark gray background (my comments, read comments) and it is a little disorienting.

I like the idea, it reminds me of kittenwar.com.

JudyJiaStyle, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  20. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd rather see the top banner put on the side somewhere (obviously vertical rather than horizontal); I think it distracts from the mission staement you added directly underneath it: a community for dog lovers to share pictures of their pets, making it harder for people to see exactly what your site's about.

If that description could be bigger, bolder, etc. I think it would help.

jim, Apr 15, 2006 IP