1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Become A DMOZ Editor

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by mariush, Mar 10, 2006.

1. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    No bidding allowed, because this bid request was cancelled.

macdesign, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  2. rado_guy

rado_guy Peon

Best Answers:
    is there any cheaper way to become an editor? :D

rado_guy, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  3. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
  4. tradealoan

tradealoan Peon

Best Answers:
    but they donot accept it i have tried thrice during last 2 years
    :confused:

tradealoan, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  5. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you mean that the application did not make it into the system, or did you get rejected?

Some applications never make it into the system. One reason is that the applicant fails to reply to the confirmation e-mail message. Some users' spam filters treat the confirmation e-mail sent by dmoz as spam (but if you succeeded in registering here, that's probably not the case for you).

Once they get into the system, applications may be rejected for many reasons, including (but not limited to) not filling out the application completely, poor grammar or spelling in the language of the requested category (hint: but they donot accept it i have tried thrice during last 2 years is not considered proper English), or evidence that the applicant does not intend to abide by the rules.

orlady, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  6. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    It's a job. You should present your best resume when applying for such. You also most include full disclosure of your web endeavors.

noppid, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    was this an advice on how to become an editor or how NOT to become an editor? ;)

gworld, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  8. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't call it a "job" since I'm not getting paid. In fact, my nephew though I was crazy when I told him I was volunteering my time over the Internet. I also volunteer my time off the Internet to another non-profit, and I'm thinking about volunteering yet more of my free time to another organization. Maybe we could start a game on this message board to see how many SEO people can volunteer their time the most per month on or off the Internet.

But, you should treat a Dmoz application for editor very seriously. I spent a few hours on my application. I substantially reviewed the sites I recommended, and I checked my application for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors numerous amounts of time. I was approved a few hours later! But, it's my hard work on the application and my taking it seriously that helped the most. Were all of the sites I recommended perfect? No, of course not. And I don't think Meta editors who review applications expect you to be perfect on your application. But, I showed them that I grasped the concept of titling and description via Dmoz standards and I showed them that I was able to find good sites for that category (keep in mind that "good" is subjective, as it's in the eye of the beholder). I can also say that I've become a better Dmoz editor and haven't been turned down, yet (knock on wood), for any categories since. So, even if your application isn't perfect, just make sure you spend time on making it as perfect as possible, and watch out for small things that could easily escape your eyes like misspellings, punctuation, and grammar - not just on the titles and descriptions, but your whole application.

Enigma, Apr 9, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are not very smart if answering 2-3 questions takes you few hours. :rolleyes:
    I can do one in 5-15 minutes depending on the category. ;)

gworld, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  10. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    More typical immature "wisdom" (oxymoron) from GWorld. Sorry, dude, but you're a joke in my book. That's all I need to say.

Enigma, Apr 9, 2006 IP
    lmocr likes this.
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How long have you been an editor? I suppose you think that by ass kissing, you can get some brownie points that will help you to advance to the category you want faster, so you can list your own sites but you are wrong. ;)

gworld, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  12. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    You come here with all these wild accusation with nothing to back them up. You know, in the real world (not the Internet world) you will be forced to have an intelligent conversation with facts to back up your claims. But, I guess the standards are low at DP.

FYI, I have no interest in the categories that my sites can be listed in. Plus, I've declared all my affiliations. Have you done the same? Maybe you're one of those corrupt editors that you supposedly dispise so much? That's what I'm beginning to think. Plus, what a better way to mask your wrong doing than to come out against it in obnoxious ways.

Enigma, Apr 9, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  13. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    BTW, I have no need to kiss ass, as I'm a very blunt person by nature. I'm not like some of the Dmoz editors on here who try to kiss your ass so they can get on your good side. I don't care about having you like me. In fact, I don't try to have an intelligent conversation with someone who's obviously incapable of having one.

Enigma, Apr 9, 2006 IP
    orlady likes this.
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Finally, something that we can agree on. ;)

gworld, Apr 9, 2006 IP
    gauharjk likes this.
  15. ewc21

ewc21 Peon

Best Answers:
    I can relate Enigma, maybe conventional wisdom will prompt us to fill up the form quite quickly but the quality is not as good as when you spend time checking, verifying longer.

I thought I fell short on that when I applied.

It's common to feel bad if you never did wrong and still got rejected; I had that feeling before. But I have to move on with that. Maybe I can try again.

ewc21, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know this is an old post but I want to add that even when the application is done right, I still wasn't accepted due to DMOZ not agreeing on one rule, that being that new editors apply for a category with 100 sites or less (I applied for one with 92 I believe).

When I got my response from DMOZ (2-3 weeks later) I was told all was good but that I should apply for a category with 80 sites or less. Given that it took me a long time to find a category I liked that had less than 100 sites I decided not to take the time to find another one that fit the new, not-publicly-available criteria.

sketch, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  17. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can't comment much on your specific situation, it might have been wise though, not to fall in love with a category with that many listings. Should you ever be able to overcome your frustration, why not giving it a second try?

vulcano, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  18. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Sketch - I noticed that you have a lot of information about movie reviews on your site. The third review I found was about Mission Impossible 3 - that category could probably use some cat building time. It's got way less than 100 sites :)

lmocr, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  19. Caios

Caios Peon

Best Answers:
    I don’t know if I’m going to regret this. But I was accepted as an editor this morning after deciding to apply last night. I spent over an hour writing my application and I was totally honest about all the sites I’m involved in even the one I had submitted to the same category.

If any DMOZ editors on here could PM me to say hello Id appreciate it. I’m being very careful to read the guidelines over and over before approving anything but I still have some questions.

Caios, Jun 8, 2006 IP
    Alucard and compostannie like this.