1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is needed to run a directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jingCo, May 21, 2008.

1. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Spider, yeah, he was selling links at £40 a pop, but he also bought too many links to fast.

See everyone rushed to buy links for the PR value, and when Bluefind went bust, they all lost out. My point is that the directory concept was built on selling high PR, and went pear shaped.

The directory itself was quite cool, but I feel it wasn't meant to promote others - more like a cash maker. That's not good.

I see what your saying about Google and you're not wrong, it's just that who is Google to tell others they can't sell links. Selling links is how nearly all websites make money and if they don't sell link space, they've pretty much had it. It's harsh of Google, because I bet Yell.com isn't penalised and Yell so sells it's ad slots big time, so why subject others to disciplinary action. Na, it's wrong :eek:

It's where one of our first press stories got mentioned a while back. They are part of Easier Media Ltd. I'd recommend them for placing press releases, as Journalists visit these type of sites.

Event_King, May 22, 2008 IP
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
  3. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    What niche is it? Clothes like in your sigs?

JamieG, May 22, 2008 IP
  4. jingCo

jingCo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm always fascinated with technology. Doing/learning about a directory would be fun. Not sure what category or how to position it but probably related to clothing.

jingCo, May 22, 2008 IP
  5. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    $1

and a dream!

with said above, hope that you hit the lottery.

an0n, May 22, 2008 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  6. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Classic with that lot, there is no need for Good Luck too

Is there;)

britishguy, May 22, 2008 IP
  7. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Ahh huh! But it's fun to watch them Seo like crazy, hit the blogs & forums, large it to the webmaster community, and they are never heard of again.

And people fall for it over and over again. Giving your money to these guys eg: $20, $40 for 1 time listings, well....... whatever the amount, I know one thing, and that's you'll never see it again or anything for it apart from the PR, which Google controls with a vengence. And everyone forever complains about that or boasts how high their PR is, and that it means something in life.

It would be okay if these directories were long-term, but so few are, and when starting a new directory, many will be very wary about you - so you gotta get it right or your user base and advertisers will leave never to return.

Good luck with it :)

Event_King, May 23, 2008 IP
  8. jingCo

jingCo Active Member

Best Answers:
    The idea I've decided on is an eco-fashion directory. I'm going to research all the eco-fashion labels and related sites and put them in the directory.

Is it suicide to charge for submissions at the beginning?

What do you guys think?

jingCo, May 24, 2008 IP
    Event_King likes this.
  9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No its sensible to charge for submissions at the beginning, because then your establishing your directory how you mean to go on with it.

pipes, May 24, 2008 IP
  10. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    People are not likely to pay to get listed in a new resource unless it has content and traffic which is in turn likely to turn into customers.

All good products start of with consumer testing (just like cheese testing in a store). I'd go for giving them a free listing for three months or so and then after you've established a database then de-list them with an invitation to re-list at a nominal charge. If you've proven worth anything to them they won't object to paying, at least that's my experience.

JamieG, May 24, 2008 IP
  11. jingCo

jingCo Active Member

Best Answers:

Yeah, that's a very good strategy. So it's okay to offer the ones we research for free?

jingCo, May 24, 2008 IP
  12. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Straight to the point - completed this thread in one go. Great stuff:D

Stupid is as stupid does. I think this is a damn fine idea, and I'll certainly be trying it out:D

---Edit---
    Thanks to the nameless pussy for giving me red rep for this - just proves you have no balls and if you did, I'd come kick them, hard. Send me a PM and we'll discuss this off the open forum. I guarantee you won't, because you're a faggot.

Spider-Man, May 24, 2008 IP
    e96 likes this.
  13. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Exactly, the resource must prove itself first. But I would wait until it has been established for at least 2 years before purchasing anything, then it's more likely the resource is a long-term venture, and not to make a quick buck, then vanish into thin air. Okay, length of time something has been established doesn't mean it can't go bust, but it's better than something that's been around for only a short time.

Any advertising model must build trust/credibility. :)

Event_King, May 24, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  14. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Absolutely, and with directories in their current state of non credability its even more important to build that level of trust. Call it loss leading, call it what you like the fact is that most business's in this day and age have to make that sacrifice in at least the early stages to stand any chance of long term success.

JamieG, May 24, 2008 IP
  15. jingCo

jingCo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use this model for technology. I don't adopt to new technology until it has been tested. Good thinking for these type of businesses too.

jingCo, May 24, 2008 IP
  16. jigsaw1

jigsaw1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't know that. I use phpld. I think I might want to try out this one. tks

jigsaw1, May 24, 2008 IP
  17. seokicker

seokicker Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can, don't use standard template, use the unique one.
    I myself tired of seeing too much directories with similar template. The lazy one usually only change the logo ;)
    The unique template make people to remember your web directory.

seokicker, May 24, 2008 IP
  18. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Inaccurate, forget that well-known template crap - it's got nothing to do with making people remember you.

It's the Domain name that needs to be remembered. You don't want anything complicated, the more complicated something is, people won't take it in!

Keep it simple in everything you do.

Event_King, May 25, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm getting to like your honesty, its growing on me. :D

JamieG, May 25, 2008 IP
  20. briteguy1227

briteguy1227 Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems to me directory list site has to find a biz model that doesn't rely on Google. Otherwise, it is catch-22. In order to make money, directory site has to sell links, but, that will get it banned by Google. However, if it doesn't sell links, then, it will have no revenue.

So, a way to not rely on Google, will be the good way to survive.

I think there is still a chance, say, for the directory site to be like the good old Yahoo listings in the 1990s, where people rely on that to go to certain sites rather than search.

briteguy1227, May 25, 2008 IP