1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this a scam

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stickycarrots, May 23, 2008.

Im trying to sell my 03 Ford Ranger

HIM

Hi Seller,
    Compliments,i just saw your (item)posted for sale on the internet,and i'm highly interested in purchasing it,so kindly get back to me as soon as you can with the present condition,your location and the best selling price you're willing to sell it,I reside at 11719 South Laurel Drive Apt.2d,Maryland 20708 ,do not worry of the shipping,i will take care of it myself,just email me the last price,and if i'm ok with it,i'll be more than happy to purchase it from you immediately,i also want you to know that my mode of Payment will be by a Personal Business check that'll be delivered by a Courier service.Email me back ASAP
    Best Regards,
    Bill

hello Bill give me a call at 321-720-***3 and we can talk about all the details

HIM

Hello ,
    Upon receipt of your previous email,i could see that you really want to sell the (2003 Ford Ranger 4dr) to me,I'm very okay with the price and condition .I tried calling you but i didn't get through,and like i told you earlier that i reside at 11719 South Laurel Drive Apt.2d,Maryland 20708, but i'll be leaving for England on 2 months course at the University of London later tommorrow night, and will be back in about 2 months which is the expiration of the course.I really want to purchase the (2003 Ford Ranger 4dr) as soon as i can because i've been searching for it since all these days,and i could not find any of the type in Laurel Maryland,so i decided to contact you when i saw yours on craigslist,concerning the payment,i'll instruct my younger brother to send out a personal business check in your names and it'll be sent to your address.
    Though arrangements has been made for the payment and shipment.
    I just spoke with my shipping company on the phone some few minutes ago they made me realised that i should send their payment together with the payment i'm sending to you,because if i send them a seperate check it 'll take about 30 working days for a United states check to clear in Greece where their head office is located at,while it takes only 24-48hrs for a cashier or a personal business check to clear in the USA,and again,my shippers would also be shipping some other goods for me from Japan to my house in Maryland,so i'm paying them together with the item that i'm purchasing from you,their main head office is located at Greece,they'll take care of everything in my absence,because this is not the first time they're working for me,they're my best shipping company,they always take care of my personal goods,dont bother that i can make it to come to your location to check out the condition,but i'm very ok with the way you emailed me about the condition.So i 'll instruct my brother to send you a payment in form of a check on the amount of $16,980 so
    when you receive it,you'll deduct your payment which $7950 deduct another $100 for compesation of the stress you may go through,then get the rest funds sent to my shipping company via western union money transfer,please note that all western union charges should be deducted from the excess funds you're sending,not with your own personal money.sorry to bother you for this,i would've loved my younger brother to take care of everything,but he wont be available to take care of it because he'll be going back to school in 2 days time,(he's in a Law school and he wont be coming back home until the ending of June).
    The shippers will come over to your location for the pick up of the item as soon as they
    receive their payment via western union,please ensure you get back to me as soon as you
    can if everything is ok by you.I promise you that you wont regret doing business with
    me.Talk to you later.You can start calling me on this phone # as from
    tommorrow....+44704573***4 I'll always reply your emails whenever you send me mails
    because i have my labtop with me.So email me the following info if everything is ok by you,
    (1)Name to be written on the check.......................
    (2)Your contact home address (including zip code)......................
    (3)Home & Cell phone number....................
    Take care and have a nice
    day.
    Many Thanks

ME

Give me a call and we can talk about the details

stickycarrots, May 23, 2008 IP
  2. itgirl

itgirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like a scam. Don't give them your personal information.

itgirl, May 23, 2008 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Looks like a cut and paste scam job to me.

He/she mentions nothing specific relating to your car. I'm sure there are hundreds of people getting the same email, just with their item pasted in instead.

Replace "2003 Ford Ranger 4dr" in his reply with "Magical Golden Underpants", and it's the same deal.

---

Your avatar rocks BTW :)

Kerosene, May 23, 2008 IP
  4. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    This appears to have scam written all over it.
    Not sure why someone would come out and give their details so easily - we live in the 21st Century.

Walk away and find a real buyer or at least find someone you feel comfortable doing business with.

vicdigi, May 23, 2008 IP
  5. stickycarrots

stickycarrots Peon

Best Answers:
    i was thinking it was a scam i guess i will walk away from the deal

stickycarrots, May 23, 2008 IP
  6. mimm

mimm Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes you should, mate. It is a scam, seems so obvious for me, you know.

mimm, May 23, 2008 IP
  7. steelfrog

steelfrog Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a scam. I get about a dozen of these every time I post something for sale; you'll probably get more. Don't reply.

steelfrog, May 23, 2008 IP
  8. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    An obvious scam. Avoid it at all cost.

cool_78, May 23, 2008 IP
  9. atoztoa

atoztoa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    even I think its a scam, dont fall into it

atoztoa, May 23, 2008 IP
  10. heasymo

heasymo Peon

Best Answers:
    SCAM! He will send you a check with an amount that is higher than your asking price and asks to return the money he paid too much by wire.If you go to cash the check, the bank will pay you but meanwhile they investigate whether the check is legitimate.
    If after a few weeks the check appears to be not legit (and it will!), the bank recovers it's money from YOU.
    So in the End YOU lose the money (and maybe even your car).

This is a known Nigerian scam..

heasymo, May 23, 2008 IP
  11. makelanguages

makelanguages Peon

Best Answers:
    scam, this the famous nigeria scam.. you need to report this foo

makelanguages, May 23, 2008 IP
  12. Pentane

Pentane Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder if he is going to London, why does he need the car for ?

This is a sure-shot sign of a scam. Most scammers use WU. Tell him you'll pay the shipping guys cash and you want a reciept for it.

Pentane, May 23, 2008 IP
  13. peggy5513

peggy5513 Peon

Best Answers:
    I did a search on 11719 South Laurel Drive Apt.2d,Maryland 20708 and seen a post here about "is this a scam?" I am betting it is a scam. why no city? Will I be recieving a check for too much soon? I already gave him my name and address. stupid me! know i wont be wiring any money anywhere!!!
    I know I will be at home with a loaded gun just waiting for someone to try and steal from me. UUGGGHHHH!

I got this email recently after posting a vehicle for sale at corkin.com

Compliments,I just saw your item posted for sale on the CORKIN and i'm highly interested in purchasing it,so kindly get back to me as soon as you can with the present condition,your location and the best selling price you're willing to sell it,I reside 11719 South Laurel Drive Apt.2d,Maryland 20708 , Moreover so i'll Like To Know The Following Details..1.The present condition of the item
    2.Why you want to sell it
    3.Position of the title
    4.Final asking price.
    5.Let me know the pickup
    arrangement though i've a reliable shipper who use to take care of my shipment that can come for the pickup.
    6 And payment arrangement by bank certified check will=2 0be fine for me So i am waiting to hear from you asap,And if you accept a ban k certified check i will like
    to have your details
    full contact name
    full contact address
    state.............
    city...............
    zip-code and number
    Do not worry for the shipping,i will take care of it myself,just Email me with the necessary informations required from you if i'm ok with it,i'll be more than happy to purchase it from you immediately.
    Best Regards

Jason.

peggy5513, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  14. Palmtree1616

Palmtree1616 Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha this is hilarious because i just got the same email for my celica i have for sale. Good thing i found this. I hate stupid scammers, like get a life.
    But, the thing i dont get is, why would they send you a check then you cash it? ( you have the money) so how are they going to get any money from you on top of what they already payed you in the check? Just doesnt make sense how someone could scam someone like this without giving them your bank information.
    Someone please explain
    Thanks !

Palmtree1616, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  15. haribo

haribo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah i also would say this is a big scam
    avoid at all cost

haribo, Jun 5, 2009 IP
  16. setsuna02

setsuna02 Banned

Best Answers:
    there is a huge percentage that it is a scam, so better watch out of it.

setsuna02, Jun 6, 2009 IP
  17. SonnyCooL

SonnyCooL Peon

Best Answers:
    The amount will be higher then your offer, then they will request you to wires back the balance ...
    Bank can't verify your cheq on the spot but some bank will pay you in advance :)

SonnyCooL, Jun 6, 2009 IP
  18. horsy30

horsy30 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just got the same scammer trying to purchase my jetskis. I just posted it on Craigslist this afternoon in Orlando. He gave me the same address 11719 Laurel Drive APT2d, Maryland. I don't think there is even such an address for an apt complex. These scammers have got to be stopped!

horsy30, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  19. 5starpix

5starpix Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its a scam. They usually run on kijiji and craigslist. You should be careful.

5starpix, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  20. ddeising

ddeising Peon

Best Answers:
    I recieved almost the same msg. 3 1/2 weeks later I recieved a check for $11.500. The down payment was suppose to be for $10,500 and the remainder was for $11,500. I'm don't want to cash it because it might not be what it seems. I did email the person who signed the check. it has a company name at the top of the check and a bank name on it. I looked up the company and it has a picture and the name of the person who signed it. Nothing in the memo. I asked him why he sent me this check and is it a down payment or full payment. It's a good thing I copied all the emails that this Mark Owe has sent me and copied all the emails that I had sent him. So, Is it a scam???? We'll find out.

ddeising

ddeising, Jul 21, 2009 IP