1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpBB 2.0.20 Released Today

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by mdvaldosta, Apr 7, 2006.

Yep, yet another update. The main changes / features of this update is to limit the number of search queries in a given time and setting the default forum permisions to registered users only (about time!). Some of theirs usual (blah blah blah) fixes and stuff too. Read the phpBB post.

PS - DON'T download the code changes for heavily modded boards, they (once again) botched it up and it has errors.

mdvaldosta, Apr 7, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

Yet another reason I prefer vBulletin

:)

joeychgo, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  3. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    None of my new forums will be phpbb. I am going either Vanilla, Pun, or Mybb.

RectangleMan, Apr 8, 2006 IP
  4. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hate phpbb.

Lpspider, Apr 8, 2006 IP
  5. FruitMedley Forum Posting

FruitMedley Forum Posting Banned

Best Answers:
    Well it is about time registered users was made into the default settings. The limited search queries thing seems stupid and pointless to me though.

6. lolz

lolz Guest

Best Answers:
    I love phpBB ;)

lolz, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  7. rebelagent

rebelagent Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpbb is great but there should be an auto update mod im seriously getting tired of updating im might work harder to buy a perm licsence for VB lol or IPB

rebelagent, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  8. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems as though they still haven't fixed the problem. Quite frustrating really.

mdvaldosta, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  9. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I won't touch phpBB until they release 3.0 (codename Olympus) and even then just to test.

K4BB looks pretty promising: http://www.k4bb.org/

GeorgeB., Apr 10, 2006 IP
  10. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it looks ok but still some development to become serious !

i will stick with punbb and mybb

punbb all you need is attachment, reputation and private messaging mod....
    mybb has all that but when i use it i just cannot get the feeling it is stable like punbb ... i dont know why ... maybe just a feeling

iatbm, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  11. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    what are qualities of punbb over phpbb?

Mong, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  12. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    smaller, faster, from my subjective point of view it just looks more stable and bulletproof! I may be wrong here that is just the feeling. And the most important thing. Style is soooo easy to modify.

Well you can check punbb running on http://www.goalchat.com and see for yourself.

It is very easy to mod also .... and there are mods for everything phpbb has !

And yes it doesnt have session id out of the box and googlebot is all over my other punbb forums :)

iatbm, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  13. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Infact download the code change at http://www.phpbb.com/files/releases/phpBB-2.0.20-codechanges.zip

for heavily modded forums just use easy mod, and note you will get lots of errors just edit the codechange file accordingly so it becomes compatible with your mods, i do that all the time an update comes along , i have over 38 mods and 35 styles. The styles changes do not effect the security in this update so you will see lots of warnings for custom styles you have used.

If you do not know how to make changes and make it easy mod compatible just pm me for help, if its easy task i do it for free :). Have been modding and making all mods compatible with easy mod for quite some time now.

paidhosting, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  14. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    This phpbb update is like 45 files. I know it will break some of my mods. The update process on this one will take me at least 3-4 hours to do it right.

RectangleMan, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  15. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's why I don't install mods. :p

Lpspider, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  16. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    And phpbb is useless without them. The admincp is crap...there is no quick reply...and the fuctionality of the whole site just stinks. Also unless you want to use the default skin template you may have to edit files anyways. All in all....phpbb is crap. Even on Olympus they refuse to add simple things like quick reply. Amazingly they have added attachments but OMG...why not just add it to 2.0 and get it done with.

17. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll second that - there's a huge list of users I want to delete (spam bot registrations) but there's no way that I can see in the user control panel to obtain a list of users and mark the ones I want to delete by selecting checkboxes next to their usernames or something along those lines. I could manually delete from the database in phpMyAdmin, but I don't know if other tables have dependancies on the users table.

pwaring, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  18. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Try this:

http://starfoxtj.no-ip.com/phpbb/toolkit/

It's independant of phpbb so it won't break on updates. It's semi-useful for user editing/delete. The tools in phpbb admincp are simply attrocious. Let's say you have a spammer and he makes 30 posts in different forums. There is no way to delete all posts by a user...that's freaking STUPID. If you delete the user all the posts are then "guest" posts instead. phpbb is over 4 years old for 2.0 and it shows. They took 13 months to complete 2.0 and well over 2 years to complete 3.0. It's insane and so are the developers of the project. No other project is so big on the web yet so slow for development.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10213

On their development board for Olympus there are posts from November 2002! WTF That's such BS. Microsoft can write a whole OS faster than they can make a forums.

19. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well you can always resort to MyBB or SMF. :)

EGS, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  20. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:

Well it took me only 3 mins to get the mod (the code change) compatible with the mods i had, and installation took total of 5 mins . And so far i have not noticed and breaking of any mods (i have over 38 mods, attachment,cash,jobs,lottery,shop,games and so on) none broke so far as i know.

I stopped using other forums like smf and integramod cause i had to wait for someone to make a theme, so i decided to just install like 35 themes initially and mod the whole forums (took 4 weeks) and ever since i had only few issues with updates (modded when it was still at 2.0.15 version).

So if anyone needs to get their forums modded or infact updated contact me via pm and we can discuss .

Cheers

paidhosting, Apr 16, 2006 IP