1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where do you advertise your directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Punct, May 19, 2008.

1. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Event_King... you really are living in a fantasy land... I aint even gonna bother wasting my typing on you I got better things to do like watch the Champions League...

Just wanted to clear up one thing before I toddle off... I ain't angry with you, you said above something about debating but your not interested in debating with me or anyone else because what you post is fact and we all have to bow down and learn from you... dream on... there are way more important proven individuals for me to learn from.

By the way, if anyone is actually still interested in learning about advertising, do a bit of research on Yahoo about dirjournal.com, you will learn some interesting things if you look well enough.

SilkySmooth, May 21, 2008 IP
  2. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Now tell me who has the name KING in his name? :rolleyes: Engage you? I haven't even started. ;)

JamieG, May 21, 2008 IP
  3. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    That's upto you, unfortunately your posts will be blocked and any PM's will be deleted.

Event_King, May 21, 2008 IP
  4. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey, look that's cool by me, I personally have no qualms about holding a debate with you. Well, I hope the expertise on here helps you out, I have my doubts - but it's your life man. :)

But I gotta plan the new addition to my company.

Event_King, May 21, 2008 IP
  5. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Yep. It's a shame many on the web still cling on to desperate hope that

A) People will let slip the golden secret to success or

B) Copying will make them Great and untouchable

Ofcourse, pointing out the bleeding obvious, no matter how well intentioned, will always upset some. I say never let the buggers get you down, and keep on posting as when you know something is right - it's right, good and the way forward.

Again, so accurate, this statement provides more truth and secrets inside of it, telling people to be careful - it's worth 1000 pages of posts on any forum.

Kudos!

But I'll list my Golden Secrets here soon, some will be helpful and some won't. It will be interesting to see who follows which set of secrets, and that will reveal a lot. If people want secrets, they can have secrets :)

:)

Event_King, May 22, 2008 IP
  6. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Punct

I stopped advertising my directories althogether , except the new gambling directory in my sig,

Basically, I decided to take a step back and figure out a mechanism to make people want to use a directory and develop it to bring in the people,

Strangely enough , I actually think all types of directories are going to be around for a while yet, but thats just a theory I am developing

might be nonesense, but,,,

centime, May 22, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  7. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Its not nonsense at all, I completely agree with you and with a bit of hard work there's no reason why many can't succeed for a long time to come.

JamieG, May 22, 2008 IP
  8. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Oh they will, have no fear of that. It's a question of why, it's very rare for a directory to taste major success, and what is major success? Well, it's fame, something well-known offline as much as online, it's something used by real businesses, and not webmasters chasing PR or visitors returning just to check their listings, and develops so much it becomes a household name.

Such directories have massive budgets, huge on-going PR, and televised adverts on a regular basis eg: Yell/Thomson. These directories also make real profits, and do not pathetically survive on a few submission fees, I mean they make hundreds of thousands, maybe milions per year - and no general webmaster effort will do that.

Such a directory must be in it for the long haul, must serve the user (totally and without measure) and ofcourse provide exceptional ROI in some way, preferably more than just mixed traffic. It must stay true to itself, it's purpose, why it exists and not just keep up with technology and latest services, but new ideas to impress it's user base and clients too.

At this time, webmaster directory models don't offer much, apart from PR, and permanent link value. This is not enough, to be able to say one has 'made it', and even much talk on forums and blogs, gaining of 50k of links, is not success. Success to get the links maybe, but nothing else.

Event_King, May 23, 2008 IP
  9. selfhelpebooks

selfhelpebooks Peon

Best Answers:
    According to what I hear, DMOZ is of the biggest to submit to.
    Also, Yahoo Directory offers listings but that costs money for businesses.

selfhelpebooks, May 23, 2008 IP
  10. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    EK, I look forward to your secrets with an open mind and no judgement prior.

I will also add over many years i have met every know it all and self proffessed expert and had them try and tell me how the world works according them the almighty i know everything, and it may be you may have some thing that could be useful

But i always ask 2 main questions regardsless of the waffle, 1. is this person true on face value, i.e. currently there is shroud about the real EK and his work and i think if any one wants to present as the bearer of wisdom, then i look for the real deal, in other words don't tell me how to make sausages if your not a butcher, telling people your a butcher is one one thing , putting your finest sausages on the table is another.

Secondly you need to have a plan or advice to be making more money and have better success rates than me, otherwise there is no merrit in what you say as well, by this i remeber a overseas hot shot coming down under once and he spent over an hour telling me how i was going to do my job from now, he was high and mighty and knew everything, after an hour or so of listening to his waffle i finished with these words or similar " Thats great, now when you can sell more than me or build a bigger team than generates the sales i do please come back and tell me how it works again" . He never did even come close to my sales or business size.

In that it would be good to look at all thoughts, put them on the table, and allow people to pick and choose some ideas that may help them, so i look forward to real up front clarity on your ability to make sausages and then followed by how to make that sausage sizzle on the BBQ.

DownUnder, May 23, 2008 IP
  11. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Yup, I do and am happy to share what works, just don't expect me to talk about PR, articles or seo - those things aren't the only answers to web life.

they are important, but are also time wasters and very expensive to do fully and maintain the results they bring. Eg: costs for SEO for many companies are around £20k per month! I know a guy, he owns a perfume business, just selling perfume ok, and he spends £10k each month on advertising - that's £120k a year. Personally I don't spend anything on advertising, no adwords, no print ads, I don't buy links, or swap them - yet I got thousands looking at my site, I have hundreds bookmarking it each month, thousands returning to it etc etc. All without messing about with SEO or adwords etc.

This has only worked because my original idea is Hot. I did not pump £100k into this, although it did cost me many £1000's to set up, but it also took bags of time and effort, and that's something you can't pay to avoid.

But the idea is key to all of this for sure. Without that igniter, you might as well pack up now - I'm being straight with you.

Firstly, what do I gain by pretending to be who I'm not hmmm, chances are you won't believe me anyway as many don't - and that's just fine by me. Everyone posts websites in their sigs, that doesn't mean they belong to those members, and for all you know they could and have been spinning you a line for years. Yet they act like experts and preach far worse than I ever could or would go there.

For instance JamieG, he's a;ready admitted he doesn't own Cantufind, yet I bet many assumed he did - and he was accepted without problem. Now what he did in my view is deception, and that's naughtly hehe. I never lied to anyone on here, no way.

if you want to think that, I can't stop you, but my business isn't anything to do to you, neither do I relentlessly badger or force anyone here to give up there super directories to me. And as much as I respect some on here, and the work that goes into just maintaining a directory, it's not enough to topple this business or impress me that you guys are any kind of experts. This works both ways - know what I'm saying!

Event_King, May 24, 2008 IP
  12. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm ready to test a few of your snags, serve em up and lets have a valid discussion that helps all.

the seo bit i can buy in a way, even though i am not at that point i often wonder at this hyped up seemingly never ending spin and it's real worth.

cook away bbq chef

DownUnder, May 24, 2008 IP
  13. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Interesting, how do you know if hundreds a month a bookmarking you? Have you got some kind of software that tracks bookmarking that nobody knows about?

Not disputing that you haven't of course just questioning how you can possibly make that claim without support?

JamieG, May 24, 2008 IP
  14. zk5182

zk5182 Active Member

Best Answers:
    directory list , article directories, blogs , forums

zk5182, May 24, 2008 IP
  15. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, this is pretty much the case as owners are so keen to get money flowing in, they rush the site to charge.

I've seen empty directories loads of times, and it puts me right off as a searcher. I think to myself "What's the point or Another wasted click"

Event_King, May 24, 2008 IP