1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Directories and Page Ranking By Google

Discussion in 'Directories' started by stockhola, May 20, 2008.

Hi everyone,
    I read in here but can not find the thread again that any new directories like the ones we get at PHP LD google will not allow you to get any type of page rank no matter how many back links or promotion you do. Is this true and have you heard anything on this matter?
    Thanks for your time
    Sean

stockhola, May 20, 2008 IP
  2. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, that's just rumor though I don't have any new directory to test.

xc06, May 20, 2008 IP
  3. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We have several new directories that are less then 3 months old and a few of them have PR and would have
    had higher PR if we would have been building its backlinks but simply havent had time this round to build back-links
    for the new directories.

I had read somewhere that the main problem with phpld was the "reciprocal link" function that google didnt care for
    but removing it from the submit pages would solve that problem ;)

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 20, 2008 IP
    stockhola likes this.
  4. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Why have you just referenced phpld? Is it just with that script you've heard there were problems?

JamieG, May 20, 2008 IP
  5. stockhola

stockhola Guest

Best Answers:
    Im new to LD i was not aware there where other scripts for the directory. I guess it applies to all. It was just a rumor i heard and I wanted to ask in here if it was true or not. From the sounds of it above seems untrue which is good news lol

JamieG likes this.
  6. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    There's dozens of scripts out there. I'd do your homework a little more thorough than reading just one or two views. This was a hot topic of debate the other day and although I forgot the links to reference it you should find them pretty easy.

I for one haven't seen any definitive proof but am still open minded.

JamieG, May 20, 2008 IP
  7. stockhola

stockhola Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jamie doing a search now and will also look on some other sites. If I find anything thats a more definitive answer I will post it in this forum. If anyone else knows for sure or has a good idea please post thank you for your time.

8. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think Jamie was suggesting you should look into alternative scripts which are available for running a directory. Especially if you have concerns about a particular script. There are literally hundreds of threads on the forum detailing the various scripts so you should be able to find out all the information you need.

Regarding your question, it is just a rumor and you are unlikely to find a definitive answer to your question unless you happen to know someone at Google who is willing to break their NDA and discuss it with you.

The only fact that we have to work with is what Malcolm stated regarding the reciprocal linking options. This was posted by Matt Cutt's on a blog some time ago regarding Aviva Directory and the penalties that had been applied to the site.

phpLD has the reciprocal options built in by default so if you decide to use that script just make sure you remove them. Hopefully the phpLD staff will implement this in the next release so we don't have to go in an edit files to take care of this.

I can't speak for the other scripts as I don't have as much experience with them, but if you have a question about a specific script that you are interested in using then just ask because there are several people here who will be able to guide you.

SilkySmooth, May 20, 2008 IP
  9. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thats rubbish IMO.

I've seen loads of directories using phpLD be rewarded with pr4,5,6,7 in their first update.

mikey1090, May 21, 2008 IP
    preyank likes this.
  10. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    To be honest it doesn't matter to me what script anyone uses as long as they get a chance of success. What I was really suggesting was this guy does a little more homework on both the claim phpld is a targeted script, and there are many that think it was and still is, (even if one or two have gained or maintained their PR), most of them haven't.

I wouldn't advise the OP to stop at researching whether its just one script alone that's been panned he should look at them all.

@Mikey; We can't just say its rubbish (well we can, you just did :)), but as I said above, there is a lot of support toward the fact one script got hammered more than others, nobody can argue that fact or if they do then they aren't in touch with reality, the honest fact is that we really don't know why.

JamieG, May 21, 2008 IP
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Simple answer from me, i have no idea, sounds like a rumour.

Saying that i also dont believe in google sandbox.

Lots of hollow rumours.

pipes, May 21, 2008 IP
  12. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Then you haven't got a clue because the sandbox DOES exist.

JamieG, May 21, 2008 IP
    preyank likes this.
  13. terrymason

terrymason Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I launched a phpld directory about 3 months ago, and it's now a PR1 after the latest google update. It's a niche directory, and requires a reciprocal link to be included.

terrymason, May 21, 2008 IP
  14. qforquack

qforquack Banned

Best Answers:
    What's the link?

qforquack, May 21, 2008 IP
  15. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    google is smarter than that now.

enQuira, May 21, 2008 IP
    preyank likes this.
  16. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some other scripts do a better job of PR sculpting then phpLD. This is not a problem since you can modify the code. Simply nofollow all the non essential links (contact us, submit, etc.). Such pages are better off not being indexed anyway.

Also to improve homepage PR, list very few sub category pages. Too many internal links on the homepage will drain PR from the homepage.

As others have noted, remove the reciprocal link option from your submit page. This is more of a tip to avoid penalties then to improve PR.

You will get PR if you get backlinks. Google has been goofy at times and given a new site/directory PR on internal page(s) instead of the homepage on the first PR update. After that, the homepages seem to get PR.

snowbird, May 21, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  17. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    100% agreed. Minstrel is a great example of that where he blocked a load of results from getting indexed making what he has now indexed to his liking not googles.

JamieG, May 21, 2008 IP
  18. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not the directory script that you use that gets your pagerank removed from the google toolbar. Rather google is looking for directories that are selling links or are simply big reciprocal farms and penalizing them. If you run a good high quality directory the script shouldn't matter.

freelistfool, May 22, 2008 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think anyone blames a script directly freelistfool, certainly not me. The problem was with the reciprocal feature which was in a few scripts, most have cottoned on to not using it now so that should be history. :)

JamieG, May 22, 2008 IP