1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Meta tags are still very important

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by frankcow, Apr 7, 2006.

frankcow, Apr 7, 2006 IP
    mad4 likes this.
  2. vectorgraphx

vectorgraphx Guest

Best Answers:
    you know, this is a very good point. great article - how many times have you searched for something to see a listing that looks something like

Yourwebsite.com Main Page
    "Home page | About Us | Our Products | Links | Contact Us"

just makes you want to click doesn't it? i know if this was the #1 SERP for my keyphrase, i'd be checking out #2. i doubt i'd click on the above example at all.

In fact, google picked up a joomla website i was working on a few months back before i had time to go in and mess with the metatags, and my google description read something like

"Joomla! The Free Website Management System!" or something like that. Once i noticed this, i went in and added a meta description tag, but unfortunately it took weeks for google to recrawl my site and grab my description.

VG

vectorgraphx, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  3. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This may be my first posting on DP where someone has actually agreed with me! :)

frankcow, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    So many posts say meta tags are dead and it bugs me.:mad:

The meta description tag allows you to write the snippet that google shows next to your search results. How can people ignore this amazing marketing opportunity?

Well done frank for bringing this up :)

mad4, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  5. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    I've always continued to use metatags ... since 1994 ... those who say meta-tags are useless are incorrect.

LaCabra, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  6. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From my personal experience i overlook sites in Google search results that have a metadescriptiontag as i want a quote of text from the article i intend to read not the description of the site.

infonote, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  7. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    How could you ever know whether the snippet in the serps was from a meta tag or from the content of the page?

Google makes a decision to use the meta tag or the content depending on your search term. Sites can't control whether google uses the meta tag on an individual search basis.

mad4, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  8. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    exactly.

and besides, sometimes the excerpt is taken out of context, whereas the meta description is more precise

heck, take any google result for any page from hotscripts.com. It's excerpted from the page, it's completely and utterly useless

frankcow, Apr 7, 2006 IP