1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changing your site listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by melaniejk, Apr 2, 2006.

1. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Hell no. I tried to be a good little editor and learn from DMOZ for a while, but when almost every senior editor gives you a wildly different (complete opposite, even...) answer to the same question you start to realize that you just can't win. The kicker was when some 60 year old guy from the mid-west (who was a meta editor) decided that he knew more about lingerie then me and went through and f*$%ed up all the hard work I had put into cleaning up my category.

ViciousSummer, Apr 5, 2006 IP
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    After looking at their pictures that they use for their avatar, I very much doubt that they have ever seen a lingerie in real life. ;)
    What is your favorite brand for lingerie? Are you in States or Europe? If you are in North America, you should start to market to Canada, there is so little choice for high quality lingerie here.

gworld, Apr 5, 2006 IP
  3. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Summer, I will offer a possible explanation though one that is pure speculation. I have done some clean-up editing in ladies knickers (most uncomfortable it was too) so understand some of the problems in that part of the directory.

In many parts of the Directory, including Shopping, the store/site name is used not that of the underlying company. Sometimes this gets abused - false names to get a higher listing (as people do with Yellow Pages listings) being one example. In lingerie I know there are lots of sites coming from the same company with different names - I removed plenty of their multiple entries at one time. If you use the underlying company name as the title then you can clearly see when the same business is using different site names and pare them back to one. But whether you use site or underlying business names should be consistent for everyone in a category (though not necessarily across a branch). I actually rejected an update request dozens of times when someone changed their Shopping site title to something I considered designed to jump them to the top of the listings in a category, and stuck to their company name, using the same reasons you were given in RZ. I eventually raised it in forum as the lady was very persistent, and was overruled and was told I *had* to use the site not the company name. You are an editor, you can go to the Shopping forum and dig out precedent threads giving instructions, then raise the inconsistency internally. If there is an inconsistency - practices may have changed in the last few years. You might get some hassle for raising an issue about your own site but there is a precedent when Staff effectively told senior editors to shut up when someone raised an issue about their own site if the issue itself was valid so dig that reference out too as a defence before raising.

I am pretty sure I know who you are talking about and he is extremely knowledgeable about Shopping branch practices and policies across the board as well as being fair, even-handed, and open-minded - I wish he were an Admin and he is probably one of, if not the, best meta editor DMOZ has. If you ask him politely he will take the time to try and explain. If you go in there like a bull in a china shop then he is only human after all...

brizzie, Apr 6, 2006 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  4. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Please post a few pictures. :D

Oh yeah, probably that editor named Bob again. I agree with brizzie, he's a sweetie, very good, and very nice. He'll always take the time to explain what he does and why... just ask him. ;)

compostannie, Apr 6, 2006 IP
    Moe and brizzie like this.
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I can imagine it would be uncomfortable. :D

Edit: I noticed that Annie has a dirty mind too and already posted about this.

gworld, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    After that salacious photo of the eggs, nothing Annie says shocks me any more :eek:

minstrel, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  7. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please clarify, is it that you edited a category about ladies knickers or did you wear those fashionable ladies knickers while editing? :D

vulcano, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I must confess, have a dark side. I enjoy making egg dramas and drawing stick figures of death. That photo was only first in a series... maybe I'll post the rest in time for Easter. For now I'll just say gworld may have started on top in the beginning, but the ending is not for the squeamish. ;)

compostannie, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    There seems to be an inordinate degree of interest in brizzie's undergarments in this thread. You DMOZ editors are weird. :eek:

minstrel, Apr 6, 2006 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    If memory servers, Squeamish is a town in British Columbia. No wait... maybe I'm thinking of the Canadian name for BigFoot.

minstrel, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  11. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not that you are looking for some elegant way for confessing that you are a foot fetishist?:D

vulcano, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  12. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.manties.net/ :eek: wish I had known earlier. :rolleyes:

He's a very nice gentleman Annie but for the record I never said "sweetie" ;)

Yes, you will find my sticky fingers all over the lingerie.

brizzie, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  13. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I fully understand the problems with many lingerie sites, but my beef is that my website is NOT one of them. My site name has been, and always will be the same. I don't keyword stuff, I don't spam, I hardly even allow advertising on the site. Any how, I'm not going to repeat my reasons behind wanting the correct name listed in DMOZ (since I've already outlined that) but I can tell you right now that it has nothing to do with search engine rankings. And, as you have layed out above, I am in the right. I guess I know better now and won't bother to set foot in the Resource Zone.

I have no idea if we're talking about the same person, but, I didn't say he wasn't nice, I said he absolutely does not know more about lingerie then I do and I stick by that. ;)

If I didn't think you were kidding, I would probably be scared...haha :p

ViciousSummer, Apr 6, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  14. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Remember that all editors can see everyrhing that happened in a category. And also can see anything you as an editor have done.

1) That "60 year old guy" did less than 5 changes in that category correcting a few small mistakes. I wouldn't call that what you did.
    2) "hard work" , don't make me laugh - there are more sites waiting review in that category than there are listed ; or are you one of those editors many DPers are complaining about (keeping out the competition)

BTW I'm sure you know more about lingerie than that specified meta but being a good editor you don't need to have understanding of a subject you must be able to write titles and descriptions according to guidelines and be able to spot listable sites.

pagode, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  15. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Oh looky here, a holier-then-thou DMOZ editor! Did everyone bow when Aquarius entered this thread?! I think you posted in the wrong forum, Aquarius, shouldn't you be over at the resource zone? I Didn't forget anything because I'm not trying to hide anything. :)

Well, you're making me laugh ;). You are exactly the kind of DMOZ editor that makes DMOZ look bad. Empty accusations of thing you know nothing about...

To be a good editor of a specific subject you need to know what you're talking about in the 1st place. But really, I couldn't careless about your uneducated opinion so why don't you move along ;).

ViciousSummer, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  16. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe not, but you are only telling your small part of the truth. I just showed the other side.

But they can be checked by all DMOZ editors. Which we can't state about the empty accusations done by you and your friends here at DP.

I have to disappoint you. You don't need deep knowledge about a subject to be a good editor in a category about that subject. Strange thing is that most good editors work in a lot of categories with a subject they know little about and editors who work only in a category of which they think they are a subject expert in are in many cases not so good editors.

pagode, Apr 7, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    The thing about you, pagode, it that you're way too dumb to realize that what you just posted, if credible (a big if in your case), is a condemnation of DMOZ policy.

minstrel, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  18. Genie

Genie Peon

Best Answers:
    I think people are rather missing the point here. Let's look at the psychology. People don't like having their work corrected. Yet that is bound to happen in a collaborative project like Dmoz or Wikipedia. In the ODP any senior editor can drop into a category that someone thinks of as their own and fix up listings as per Guidelines.

Summer was upset by that. She's not the only one. Editors have departed in high dudgeon because another editor revised their descriptions or re-categorised listings to fit the Dmoz standard. Now what do we do about that? Obviously we would prefer people not to go storming off into the night if they are willing and able to aid the project.

Yet if we allow all editors the freedom to do whatever they like, we would have anarchy. What happens if there are several editors listed for a category? Who gets their way? How would all the different categories being created on completely different principles link together? Would it make sense to allow each editor to list anything they like in 'their' category, whether or not it belongs there? Would that build a directory that people could actually use?

It was to avoid that kind of anarchy that the Guidelines were created, and professional staff brought in to aid in creation of a logical ontology. Some sort of consistency was imposed on a directory built up by thousands of people.

Yet knowing the reasons why doesn't necessarily make us feel one bit better about having our work corrected. It's only human to feel sore about it. It feels like a personal attack. Let's try for a little understanding here, rather than pouring oil on the flames.

Genie, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Oh, now I get it. Is this what happened in DMOZ Adult? :rolleyes:

minstrel, Apr 7, 2006 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  20. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I guess Aquarius missed this part of my post:

Just because you are a supposed DMOZ editor doesn't make you better then any other forum troll.

ViciousSummer, Apr 7, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.