1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Opinions on Virtual Private Servers

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by dct, Apr 7, 2006.

I'm starting a group of new sites targeted at the UK and want them hosted in the UK. I need more resources and control and than you get on a shared server but I don't really want the cost of a dedicated. I'm considering getting a Virtual Private Server, does anybody have any opinions or experience with these (good or bad)?

I'm looking at signing up with Clook who I've had a shared hosting package with for a while and have been very impressed with them.

dct, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  2. daredashi

daredashi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    a2b2 is also good option
    although they are usiong open virtuzzo their speed and service is good

daredashi, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  3. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a couple of VPS at servint.net and am very impressed with them.

l234244, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  4. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    As with most things hosting-related, how good a VPS is really depends on how good a host is.

A VPS can be a great way to get your sites up and running before they are bringing in enough cash to justify their own server/servers. Performance really depends on how many VPSs your host is trying to cram onto one server, and the spec of that server in the first place.

If you're just testing the water then I'd say go for a VPS at first but expect to have to move your site once it gets more popular.

forkqueue, Apr 7, 2006 IP
    dct likes this.
  5. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback. Is virtuzzo a good platform for this sort of service?

dct, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  6. daredashi

Best Answers:
    there are many virtualisation softwares available in market. many are open source like XEN, open virtuozzo (open source project of SWsoft ) , LVS, V-server ..... list is big one. but mostly for free services XEN and open virtuzzo are used. also microsoft released new virtual server for 2003.

in paid softwares there are majorly used swsofts virtuozzo and VMware but VMware is very costly and not suitable if not big eneterprise.

dct likes this.
  7. daredashi

Best Answers:
    i am also big fan of servint. i am running few VPS with them more than 1 year but dct wants vps in UK. i don't think they have DC in uk

8. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I do want a UK based solution for this project, though I am looking for a dedicated in the States so will give them a look also

dct, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  9. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    Vps are great for a start .. but looking at the price of entry level server you can get a pretty decent entry level server with 10Mbps unmetered for a few pennies more.
    If you are interested pm me and I will hook you up with a sales person.

payoutwindow, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  10. ramprage

ramprage Guest

Best Answers:
    a VPS system is still shared hosting IMO. There are other accounts on the machine and more failure points than having your own dedicated. For the small difference in monthly cost I'd go dedicated, then you know you have all the hardware and no one else can affect you or the machine.

ramprage, Apr 8, 2006 IP
  11. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    I've not had much experience with it myself but Virtuozzo seems OK. I've tried its open source version, OpenVZ and it works nicely enough.

forkqueue, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  12. daredashi

Best Answers:
    Yes VPS are shared resources still it gaurentees minimum system resources. in many cases dedicated servers are underutilised and expensive for mid sized sites (main problem of mid - sized sites i they can't run in shared enviromment and can't afford dedicated hostings). VPS is better low cost option if you want your own OS environment, custom apllication.

daredashi, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  13. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    I keep adding sites to one of my VPS and it keeps running fine + these are all sites with databases, dynamic content, and lots of visitors.

l234244, Apr 10, 2006 IP