1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense Ads Blocked by firewalls

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by brooklyn71, Apr 6, 2006.

A friend of mine recently installed a firewall program called Kerio. Has anybody heard of it? Anyway, I loaded up one of my sites on his PC and discovered that all adsense ads were blocked. It seems like there is a default setting that will automatically block all ads.

Not good for Adsense Publishers since the average joe PC user will not know enough to change the default settings of these types of programs.

brooklyn71, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  2. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Symantec also had this as the default setting in last years version but quickly made ad blocking not the default in subsequent versions. I haven't heard of Keiro but if they get enough complaints, they will change it.

Then again, if their customer base doesn't want to see ads, why should they change it?

yfs1, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  3. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    Man, with these kinds of firewalls it will really suck to only operate MFA sites. :eek:

This kind of ad blocking is also available in browsers and will become more prevalent as people become frustrated with sites that seem to be only contextual ad blocks.

People have been fighting to rid themselves of pop-up-over-under ads for a years. But, they have tended to be more forgiving about the Google style ads because they were unobtrusive and related to the content of the page. But, as more and more pages appear with essentially no content, except ads, this attitude will change.

clancey, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  4. americanguy

americanguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Havent heard of this. But any firewall can be configured to block AdSense or any such program. Take AdBlock plugin for Firefox for instance

americanguy, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  5. Webmaster-Now

Webmaster-Now Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess it is not fair but is there a way to configure our sites in order to direct people using such settings to a notice page ?

I spent a lot of time working on content, and plan to do so in the future again.
    However if I cannot monetize them I don't see the point to work hard for peanuts.
    I mean I don't plan to react now, the trend is not significative but who knows what is going to happen in the future.

And I fear that if this trend to block ads increase then some strong content sites will not be free any more.

Webmaster-Now, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  6. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    If it becomes too prevalent, companies like Google, YPN, MSN may respond by using something other than javascript to deliver ads. If the ads are part of the page, then they cannot be blocked.

One workaround would be to have the the ads served by PHP code inserted into the pages. The PHP code could still call home, but it would do so from the server. By contrast, javascript calls home from the user's browser after the page source is downloded. This is why it can be blocked.

There is no point lamenting this change in attitude among ordinary users. It is going to become more prevalent. This is too bad for content sites, which are trying to make some money from their work.

But, this trend would not be happening if some people were not creating AdSense billboard sites as fast as they can find profitable keywords. Such sites just upset visitors and make them long for some kind of ad blocking.

clancey, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  7. BNix

BNix Peon

Best Answers:
    In Kaspersky Internet Security , The Web-Antivirus default setting is blocked you to see tons of ads , include pagead.googlesyndication.com But you can config this setting after installed

Yes , we all know. But it is the rights of the surfer to block anythings they don't want.

BNix, Apr 6, 2006 IP
    max pain likes this.
  8. forumbulge

forumbulge Guest

Best Answers:
    I installed Kerio recently and was surprised to see the same thing.
    The older version of zone alarm i used to use didn't have this feature turned on by default.

I really hope google, yahoo and msn can come up with some sort of workaround or we will be seeing a much shorter lifespan for contextual advertising and even affiliate advertising.

forumbulge, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  9. pkchukiss

pkchukiss Peon

Best Answers:
    Normal users will not be tempted to tamper with their default settings, so if more and more products start blocking advertisements, it could spell the end of the AdSense industry as we know it.

pkchukiss, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  10. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This came up before (blocking of ads).

There's no way to detect if people are using ad-blocking software. If javascript is completely disabled then <noscript></noscript> can be used.

But, know what your visitors are interested in and place non-javascript ways of making money on your pages (as well as JS ads). Don't limit yourself to one income method.

ryan_uk, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  11. BNix

BNix Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used the Kaspersky 6.0.0.297 beta and this version did not come with banner-block features. When i updated to recent BETA(still beta but updated) version. It comes with these features. After i'm just installed i wondered why i'm not see any ads even on my site.

Then i checked at kaspersky config and untick the pagead2.googlesyndication.com out of blocked list

Google can change the domain to pagead3 4 5 .... and when Firewall updated , it is no more.

BNix, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  12. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    this is nuts, google needs to respond, cause in 1 year, 90% of users will have ad blockers

ash1, Apr 9, 2006 IP