1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is there any way to get quickly listed in dmoz?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by vinug, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Im wondering whether there is any option to get listed quickly in dmoz.

vinug, May 16, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, become friends with an editor, or even become an editor.

However, even those things will not help you if your site sucks ;)

And failing that, you have to wait like everyone else. Your site, once submitted, can take anywhere from a few days to a few years to get listed.

Qryztufre, May 16, 2008 IP
  3. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't try that hard just submit your site and move on, you won't get any traffic from dmoz and the pr is likely negligible.

The other day I submitted a new site that I made to a little niche directory that I found, it's a real directory run by one woman, she listed me on a pr 4 page with maybe 15 other sites and I have already received around 145 hits from that one listing just this month - my point is I never would have found her if I had been obsessing over trying to make friends with an editor or trying to become an editor...

winifred gray, May 16, 2008 IP
    Anonymously and nebuchadrezzar like this.
  4. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Thousands of sites have been listed in the directory within seconds of an editor finding them. ;)
    These sites will have plenty of original, unique content on a subject, and the editor may have found the site as a result of researching a topic, building a category, reading a magazine, watching television, seeing a journal article, or any number of ways in which the site might have caught his or her attention.

Once again it is worth stressing that
    • editors are encouraged to find worthwhile sites wherever they can, and suggestions from other people are simply one of the places a volunteer can look, if (s)he chooses.

makrhod, May 16, 2008 IP
  5. surajseo

surajseo Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, When Dmoz would want to add your site quick:D

surajseo, May 16, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  6. nelisx

nelisx Peon

Best Answers:
    It takes a little luck to have a submission listed quickly. Taking the time to make sure your listing conforms to the guidelines can help things along.

nelisx, May 17, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  7. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    There are 2 things you can do to possibly be listed faster.

1. Send the suggestion to the correct category. (not doing so means it has to be moved from where you sent it)

2. Provide a correct Title and Description. (It will be noticed by the editor among the non-compliant suggestions)
    http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/describing.html

crowbar, May 19, 2008 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You know very well crowbar that this is 60% BULL. You'll have to edit them either way. :rolleyes:

popotalk, May 19, 2008 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with Popo... According to other editors, both of the points that Crowbar gave are shaky, so I reckon that they points are still wrong in this thread.

Qryztufre, May 19, 2008 IP
  10. herolo

herolo Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with surajseo

herolo, May 19, 2008 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I got the rep comment that said:
    You slughead. Your avartor looks like the guy who shot all those kids at school. Go away and let editors who know what they are talking about give us good advice.​
    While I can appreciate the name calling, as that really makes the man. It's that second part that I felt likely needed commenting on.

I said:
    According to other editors, both of the points that Crowbar gave are shaky, so I reckon that they points are still wrong in this thread.​
    I for one always thought that following the guidelines was a sure fire way to get posted until I was corrected by an editor and could not find a single other editor to back me up and tell that first editor they were wrong.

I even started a thread on the matter to get the issue resolved, but all that did was turn into a flamefest, so all that is left is the original comment by the editor that said my advice was shaky.... what was my advice? To follow the guildelines!

Check it out: DMOZ Listing | Ready to pay! - Page 2 (you'll need to scroll down a bit)

So to whoever gave that rep comment, as you can see, I am just saying the same thing as "the editors that know what they are talking about" and I am sorry that I just didn't back up my claim in the first post...

Qryztufre, May 20, 2008 IP
  12. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Christopher I just can't believe that you are still harping on about this months and months later...

Your advice was a ten point plan that was erroneous, misleading and contained a significant omission. Give it a rest. This claptrap does not add to this discussion in anyway.

nebuchadrezzar, May 20, 2008 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    If I am wrong, then you simply MUST agree that Crowbar is wrong. Right?

Qryztufre, May 21, 2008 IP
  14. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I know that this was addressed to nebuchadrezzar, so I hope nobody minds if I stick my nose in for a second. ;)

Doing those things suggested by crowbar not only wisely follows the guidelines on suggesting a site, but is simply common sense.
    A site suggestion
    • which meets DMOZ standards
    • is made to the correct category and
    • which is given a title and description meeting the guidelines
    will obviously be easier for a volunteer to handle than one which needs moving or rewriting.

So no, crowbar is not wrong in giving that advice. He is simply explaining how to help a volunteer editor review a site suggestion if and when he or she chooses to do so. :)

makrhod, May 21, 2008 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    My point is that I gave pretty much the same advice and was told that it was shaky, so while I see many editors say the same thing I have said, there is still one editor that says my advice is shaky. By the logic of the editor that said my advice was shaky, it means that your advice is shaky. There is no way I can be right and wrong, or rather there is no way the advice I said can be shaky, but when it's said by another editor that is somehow transforms itself into being not shaky.

For the life of me I can not figure out how what you are saying is OK, yet when I say it it's not sound advice....

Check the link I gave and see for yourself. The only point I gave that could be considered shaky is that I said to make sure the site is established... and IMHO, that is not all that far off, as being established is pretty much an important point, as it does imply having a complete site. Though, the point of the editor that says I am wrong is basing it on the fact I did not say there should be unique content... but then you and crowbar also missed that point. So again, if I am giving shaky advice, then so are you... that or Nebby is wrong, but heh, I can't get another editor to say that ~ which lends itself to meaning that others that skip such a point are wrong as well.

Do you follow that? I hardly can, but the fact remains, nebby is right, I've been on this for over a month, yet still can not get one editor to correct another editor in saying that following the guidelines IS good advice regardless of whether or not I (or others) mention unique content, especially as having unique content IS part of the guidelines in which I said to follow...

Qryztufre, May 21, 2008 IP
  16. nelisx

nelisx Peon

Best Answers:
    As an editor who does look at user submitted site suggestions, I can tell you submitting to the CORRECT category with a title and description that conforms to the rules set forth when you begin your submission, increases your chances of being listed sooner.

I am sure each category is very different, but the ones I edit, I find it easier to list the type of site listed above.

In reality, most of my time in my current categories is spent finding the appropriate category to move a user submitted website. See, people submit to smaller categories or ones that have an editor listed in hopes that their site will be reviewed faster.

This simply doesn't work. Even after taking the time to find the right category, and sometimes editing the Title and Description of the listing, I can only move the site to "unreviewed" in the appropriate category, of which I most likely do not have permission to edit. Those are the "good" ones. lol. Most of the sites that come into one of the categories I edit, are pretty much spam, or the wrong language, or a deep backlink to a site that is already listed in DMOZ.

From my brief experience, very few user suggested listings are:

In the right category
    Titled correctly
    Described correctly

By taking the time to do these things correctly, you increase the chances of an editor picking you out of the bunch. Make it easy.

On a side note, My main website is yet to be listed in DMOZ. I am in one of those categories that is rarely edited and I have a feeling the unreviewed sites are in the hundreds for that cat.

I applied to edit that category a couple of months ago, but was rejected for my newness. Now, a few months later, I understand why. Even bringing the small category I edit up to current has been a challenge in itself. Damn spammers. I haven't had the burst of energy to finish editing the wrong category submissions out of unreviewed, I can't imagine 100's of listings of similar quality.

With that said, I do want my site listed, and I am sure in time, it will be. Who knows, maybe I will end up being the person who lists it, whenever I get my edits in order and take the time to reapply for editing privileges to that category.

Even editors don't have their own sites listed. We are at the mercy of the system as well.

nelisx, May 21, 2008 IP
  17. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    In fact, my very first point was that any suggestion should meet DMOZ standards, which means, among other things, that there is sufficient unique content.

For those who have not yet read the criteria for sites to be listed in the ODP, here they are again. :)

makrhod, May 21, 2008 IP
  18. mq778b

mq778b Peon

Best Answers:
    mq778b, May 22, 2008 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    yes, Yes, YES!!!

That was my original point, one that nebuchadrezzar seemingly could not grasp! Now when she calls me out on it again, I can point her to you ;)

It certainly would have been nice to have you around when she first went off on saying that following the guidelines is shaky advice, as it's mind boggling that and editor would think such a thing.

Though, I must ask. Would you tell another editor that? No other editors on this forum would dare such a thing.

Qryztufre, May 22, 2008 IP
  20. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Guess what fellas, :D.

If I go to a category and look at the suggestions I see submitted there, and a site jumps out of the garbage with a nice clean, odp compliant description, bein lazy an all, I'm going to give it a quick check and list it.

The rest of the keyword stuffed title/description sites, or the sales hype filled descriptions just give me a headache, make more work for me, and I may just move on to another category.

So, my advice is very good advice.

Keep submitting those, and I'll keep ignoring them. I mean, hell, there's only 3 or 4 hundred thousand other sites I can choose to edit. Why wouldn't I deal with the easy ones first?

Why do you think update requests get handled so quickly? Because they are fast and easy to deal with, that's why. :)

If a submitter doesn't care enough about his site to take a few minutes and try to be compliant, why should I care either? Other editors may feel diferently, but that's how I feel. ;)

crowbar, May 22, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.