1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My site was just accepted

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by real_skinner, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    What would I expect to happen next my site was just accepted after I submitted last week? Possible PR or Traffic? :D

Listed on:
    Top: Computers: Software: Desktop Customization: Wallpaper: Free (167)

real_skinner, May 8, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  2. tsukara

tsukara Banned

Best Answers:
    It depends on the directory. It increase your pr if the directory is dofollow and have pr already. But it does not guarantee that brings you a traffic.

tsukara, May 8, 2008 IP
  3. real_skinner

real_skinner Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well it's in dmoz.org, is it a dofollow directory?

real_skinner, May 8, 2008 IP
  4. gauravgrt

gauravgrt Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats Man :), i am still awaiting for mine.

gauravgrt, May 9, 2008 IP
  5. digitalmatch

digitalmatch Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats! Sometimes it takes longer than we expect.

digitalmatch, May 9, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  6. BWC

BWC Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm,
    All IMHO,

The odp will dump the data to a file for other sites to use to populate their directories, most of which are now ignored, or devalued as duplicate content these days, but it all helps, do not only think of Google.

Googlebot will come by and find the link, credit your site with a new link, and the corresponding PR transfer based on PR of the catagory devided by the number of sites in the catagory(if greater than 100, not a lot of value here), possible corresponding help in G SERPS within a few days/weeks, depending on the existing link profile of the site, if the site has a large powerful link base, it will not see much from it.(just another drop in the bucket)

At some point, I am not sure how often, every few months or so, G will import the dump it gets from the DMOZ into it directory(Poof another link with pr)

Over time, with all the sites that use the DMOZ dump to populate their directories, & or to seed their niche directories will also get your site listed.

You will not see much traffic from the DMOZ, it is the replication of the data over time, and the links aging over time that will affect the site.

Many will say "its just another link", but because of the downstream effect, it is more than just another link.

BUT!!
    Just submit it and forget it, it is not worth worrying about, fighting about, spending endless time checking to see if has been accepted. All your time and frustration is not worth it and can be used better to promote and build your site, not to mention, you just might be a little happier, if you worry less about something you have absolutly no control over.

By the way, congrats on the listing!!

BWC, May 9, 2008 IP
    crowbar and shadow575 like this.
  7. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice post, BWC, :).

crowbar, May 12, 2008 IP
  8. ePhase Networks LLC

ePhase Networks LLC Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats. Good luck with the site.

ePhase Networks LLC, May 13, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  9. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    Almost every link helps but not all links are equal, your link in dmoz is on a pr 3 page and you are splitting that pr with 167 other sites so it's highly doubtful that there will be any noticeable changes in your traffic from this one link.

I do not believe there is any "downstream effect" - A link from dmoz is just one link.

Even a well aged link on a pr 3 page split 167 ways won't make any difference in pr or traffic...whether from dmoz or any other site.

It's your overall link profile that matters.

winifred gray, May 13, 2008 IP
  10. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    I submitted so many times and none were acceptted, so bad! Give up now, save my time on other SEO issues.

hhheng, May 14, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  11. BWC

BWC Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to disagree, when the DMOZ exports its data to a file that others use to create and update their directories, it has a "downstream effect" by the additional links created in each of these directories.

Would you not consider getting a listing in the Google directory a "downstream effect" of getting your site listed in the DMOZ? Facts cannot be denied, people take the DMOZ data and use it, and it benifets to some extent the sites originally added to the DMOZ. The effect may be small to a well established site, or huge to a new one, but the effect of additional links on additonal sites, because of the original entry into the DMOZ cannot be denied.

BWC, May 14, 2008 IP
  12. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Not to be wise, but just how much traffic does any site need? Are these store type sites? It would seem that if you offered a truely wonderful product for sale, at a great price, you wouldn't have the problem of only getting a small percentage of sales, and need to have thousands of visitors in order to be successful. Am I wrong?

crowbar, May 14, 2008 IP
  13. Talis

Talis Peon

Best Answers:

Talis, May 14, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  14. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, if you figured out that other people use dmoz data I'm sure Google has figured that out too, especially since they are one of the sites that uses it...

So you can be sure that they figure that in their algorithm - they are not going to give a site credit for 100's of links when in fact it's just one link.

Google is one of - if not the smartest company in the world...there is no downstream effect.

winifred gray, May 14, 2008 IP
  15. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends, if you have a content site that makes money from affiliate ads your income is only limited by the amount of traffic that you can get - and there is no increase in the work load.

Basically, the same goes for sites that sell downloads or electronic products.

But if you're selling a product or a service and you get more traffic and more sales you then have to increase your work load of providing the service or creating the product, packing, shipping, etc.

My sites get around 10,000 visitors per day but if I could increase that to 20,000 I would make much more money and do the exact same amount of work because I'm an affiliate.

16. BWC

BWC Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that was kinda rude and with a condecending tone. Perhaps if you are to quote me, you should have read my whole post. I may not be as new to this as you think.

Sites that use the DMOZ dump to populate a site, and then modifiy it to where it is not a clone, but new sites, and some credit is given for those links, even by google, but if you open your mind a bit, Yahoo, & MSN are not quite so good a identifying the quality of a link, and the replication of the data does/can help quite a bit with them with a site with a small backlink profile. For established sites with a large backlink profile, it might not be noticed.

IMHO there is a down stream effect.

BWC, May 14, 2008 IP
  17. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    My bad BWC, I was just being flip, I didn't mean to come off rude and condecending, oops.

18. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answers, that would be a difficult situation.

crowbar, May 15, 2008 IP
  19. mrix

mrix Active Member

Best Answers:
    After a short period of time you will see your site listed in the Google Directory as their directory uses the listings from ODP, once this happens I have always noticed an increase in rank listing.
    Also many other directories use the ODP results so over a period of time it stands to reason you will have automatic back link building:)
    cheers
    mrix

mrix, May 16, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  20. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google updates their directory about as fast as most submissions take in the ODP itself. In one instance, it was well over a year, and another time it took them almost a year...

Don't get your hopes up that it'll help all that much.

Qryztufre, May 16, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.