1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying multiple PR domains and putting them on same IP

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by css1, May 14, 2008.

I've been buying multiple sites with a PR and slapping them on the same dedicated IP hosting account, will this eventually kill the PR?

If anyone has any affordable solutions around this problem other than a dedicated IP for each site, please let me know! :)

Thanks in advance.

css1, May 14, 2008 IP
  2. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Pagerank is based on backlinks, not the IP address. Also, it's not a sitewide value it's a per web page value.

astup1didiot, May 14, 2008 IP
  3. Trent Brownrigg

Trent Brownrigg Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it will hurt you at all. I have had many sites hosted on the same account for years and never had any problems with rankings or PR. Not sure if that is exactly what you were asking or not but I hope that helps.

Trent Brownrigg, May 14, 2008 IP
  4. css1

css1 Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah that's basically it -- thanks!

css1, May 14, 2008 IP
  5. cooperdev

cooperdev Active Member

Best Answers:
    "Pagerank is based on backlinks, not the IP address"

It's not that simple. I've read many places that both the Google search algorithm for organic results and pagerank will discount links coming from the same class c and even more discount from the same exact IP.

If it's just 3 sites, not a big deal though.

If you are going to have a lot of sites, I would begin opening some cheap hosting accounts with people who allow unlimited add-on domains.

cooperdev, May 14, 2008 IP
  6. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Buying PR domains is a waste of money, period.

jg123, May 14, 2008 IP
  7. css1

css1 Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

css1, May 14, 2008 IP
  8. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry but the way it works is that the seller is scamming the buyers of the domain or the buyers intend to scam the next buyer or link buyers or both.

A domain with PR that is sold usually has one or two high PR links pointing to it that disappear after the sale or it is a PR obtained through re-direction or it is a PR obtained with grey or black hat SEO techniques. Either way you are buying a loser and you will lose your money or reputation 99 out of 100 times.

Any site that has a PR that was earned would cost a lot of money and none of it would be based on PR.

Don't look for any shortcuts, buy a new domain (with a good name and relevance) and then learn SEO - you can see my top 10 SEO tips for beginners here

jg123, May 14, 2008 IP
  9. mberman84

mberman84 Peon

Best Answers:
    i have noticed that having multiple sites on the same IP, that are LINKED TOGETHER...hurt my rankings...i think thats what he was asking.

mberman84, May 14, 2008 IP
  10. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    If those multiple sites are just sitting on the server minding their own business and doing their own thing then I'd have to disagree with you. However, if those sites are linking to each other, then I'd say there's a problem and would be inclined to agree somewhat. But in those cases Google wouldn't devalue those links - they'd probably clean house and ban the sites on that server that are linking to each other.

Dan Schulz, May 14, 2008 IP
  11. mberman84

mberman84 Peon

Best Answers:
    good explanation. a great host with cheap extra IP addresses is dreamhost. i think its like $2/month per extra IP address. that may be on the same C class though...its random.

mberman84, May 14, 2008 IP
    Dan Schulz likes this.