1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE8 vs FF3

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by worldman, Mar 20, 2008.

?

Who will win?

1. IE8

68 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. FF3

286 vote(s)
    75.3%
  3. Undecided

26 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. MattClark

MattClark Peon

Best Answers:
    Sadly I think on the popularity front IE8 will win simply because Microsoft will make it a mandatory download for all Windows Vista users, and a lot of Windows users don't even know they have a choice.

MattClark, May 12, 2008 IP
  2. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I actually do use Safari every once in a while when I want the light side of the browser world. My main problem with Safari is it is not feature rich like Opera, IE and FF. But its pretty fast so its a plus.

worldman, May 12, 2008 IP
  3. PaddyL

PaddyL Active Member

Best Answers:
    LOL.

On my various machines, IE6 on 98SE crashes too often to count. IE7 on XP is OK, it doesn't crash (comparatively) very often.

Vista is better. IE7 only crashes about three times a week (I use the Internet a lot). I load FF once early in the morning and keep it running the entire day and evening, and it doesn't crash ever.

PaddyL, May 12, 2008 IP
    worldman likes this.
  4. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If a vista user uses the IE they are obviously using the internet. Once you go on the net and as long as you stay clear of microsoft and apple sites you see the name firefox pop up everywhere so they do know they have a choice. They just dont want to change.

That's more like it. At least you're being honest.

I used firefox and my honest opinion was it was good. hardly every crashed and when it did it restored everything i was working on. I just could not see how it used as much memory and more as the system idle process.

5. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can crash any browser with a javascript infinite loop easily :)

Yankee85, May 12, 2008 IP
  6. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    yes please, I'd like to see the reasons (no sarcasm for once :D)

timsdd, May 12, 2008 IP
  7. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here are the five reasons why IE8 will win:

Customization. The major update for IE8 also includes the ability to customize it just like firefox. Taking that IE is already the leader by a great margin this feature will be the icing on the cake for ie fans and a good reason to switch for ff fans also.

Security. Its no secret that IE7 is just as secure or more secure than FF2. IE8 add a bunch of new integrated security features that can even detect emails and such before they are opened. Also major security companies are working with Microsoft on this type of integration.

Restore feature. Lets face it that's why we like FF so much. FF crashes and you just restore the season. Well IE8 has that now. Again since it has the market lead this will be great to help it keep it ahead.

So there you have it. The 5 top reasons why EI8 will kick ass. And the but of FF3.

Addons. Well that's what made FF so great (but still most people hardly use them). Anyways IE8 also has addons and these will be able to be built by people like you and me.

Last but not least Microsoft has been courting FF. How many of you know that Microsoft actually has correspondence with the makers of FF and that they not only help MS but MS helps them on some of their issues.

8. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    drugs are bad mmmmkay :D

yeah but the reason IE is the leader is not b/c it's a superior product, it's b/c Average Joe Internet user does not realize there are viable options.

wow, well it's good to know they now have features that Opera & FF have had for about a decade now :p

Let me ask you this though, on the new security features...at what cost...is speed sacrificed? Take the anti phishing filter in IE7...I found that to be a MAJOR drag on performance...most "speed up IE" articles tell you to just turn that feature off!

timsdd, May 12, 2008 IP
  9. echo_unlimited

echo_unlimited Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's possible! I mean you have companies like EA Games who like to buy their competition or like the Google and YouTube fiasco.

... if Firefox proves to be one of the leading browsers, then Microsoft may buy it out.

echo_unlimited, May 12, 2008 IP
  10. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well the phishing filter is something that I have not seen destroy the performance of my computer. Although its not 100% helpful at the moment as it states the obvious it is a move in the right direction.

The new features are said to run through the system idle process. And plus these of course will be able to turn off. So its like having an antivirus for your internet surfing for free:D

If Microsoft buys out FF it would be sending a message to the world that Microsoft cannot beat another company at its own game. Microsoft would much rather go after Yahoo (and it did) than go after FF because FF is not posing that much of a problem. It does have Google knocking on its doors in some areas and Apple seems pretty interested in the corporate industry (the one Steve Jobs used to cuss out and said it was quote "boring")

11. FightRice

FightRice Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry dude, tab browsing was around way before FF put it in, so to say Microsoft is copying them would be flat out wrong. Same with the search engine integrations.

FightRice, May 12, 2008 IP
  12. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some people speak from the abundance of their ignorance. Good call bro;)

13. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    damn I must spread some reputation again :D

Yankee85, May 12, 2008 IP
  14. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    good thing rep from you is only like 2 points :p

timsdd, May 12, 2008 IP
  15. shacow

shacow Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would never use a ms browser ever again.. Its a joke that they force you to use it for specific things, like windows updates and checking your hotmail email through your msn program..

shacow, May 12, 2008 IP
  16. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know FF and K-meleon are both based on Gecko, and I like both, but, K-Meleon remains my favorite.

Jackuul, May 12, 2008 IP
  17. manHa

manHa Peon

Best Answers:
    manHa, May 12, 2008 IP
  18. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your rep is not that much off....just 8 points more....:D

19. eLDee

eLDee Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm happy that Firefox is winning.. :D

eLDee, May 16, 2008 IP
  20. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ask this same question to the general population and they'll be like "i dont give a damn" As long as one works better they're gonna be with it.

That is the main reason why FF will hardly prosper pass the opensource community. Even with all of Google's backing hasn't done much. Maybe if they bought it out that might work but than again people trust them to find things.......not make things.

worldman, May 16, 2008 IP