1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the point in making a website these days?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by 6jin-Jing, May 11, 2008.

There's so much junk on the web these days, it's almost impossible to get on the front page of any search engine for high demand keywords and when you start a website- there's almost a guarantee that someone else will have already thought of your idea or is paying to have their site above yours!

It's not exactly an easy business to get into... Just saying, "get backlinks, better seo and quality content" is easier said than done. In fact I think it's more luck than anything.

/end rant

6jin-Jing, May 11, 2008 IP
  2. terminator69

terminator69 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep it is a hard business to get into but once you put in the hardwork it does pay off in the form of profit for a lot of people.

terminator69, May 11, 2008 IP
  3. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    But that doesn't mean you don't have something unique (product or service) to offer.

Skinny

Skinny, May 11, 2008 IP
  4. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its hard work. But guess what, so is real estate, so is designing cars. Anything that is worth doing takes hard work. Kill your doubts before they kill you. I had the same attitude a while back and now I understand thats why I never went anywhere.

Find ways to take advantage of what your talking about. How do you turn a bad situation into a good one with knowledge and hard work.

I'm still not rich but I know I will be really soon because I'm learning stuff:) and knowledge is more powerful than doubt.

clinton, May 11, 2008 IP
  5. nick2007

nick2007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any work is hard. But if you like to do that you'll earn on that. Many people do work that they dislike and i think it's their mistake.

nick2007, May 11, 2008 IP
  6. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Believe me it's not luck. It depends entirely on your skills, budget and creativity.
    The competition is high but it's still possible to rank in top 5. However don't expect to see results over night.

zexy, May 11, 2008 IP
  7. yaramon

yaramon Guest

Best Answers:
    you gotta work hard!

yaramon, May 11, 2008 IP
  8. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The more people earn online the harder it will get, in fact, if you check the threads of 2-3 years ago, you'll most probably find the very same rant.

LeoSeo, May 11, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  9. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    So you are saying for the most part to just not do it because it is so hard to get on page one of a search engine?

Perry Rose, May 11, 2008 IP
  10. UnFunded

UnFunded Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I don't even consider search engines anymore. I have accepted that there are people out there who have a firm foot at everything I would be good enough at to rank with. All of my interests (which are usually the best things to use online: what you know and love) are already saturated before I entered this business.

I accept that. And use other methods, and it is working out Quite Well for me.

From $38.80 last week all the way up to... It doesn't stop counting yet :)

Use social media sites. Use the places people congregate. Google is a HUGE source of traffic, and you WILL get visitors from there who happen to type just the right thing in quotes. Perhaps you can even rank well in some things that aren't yet completely corporate owned.

The moment I STOPPED doing SEO was the moment things got brighter for me. Now, I would be doing WAY better if my [completely search, just not normal search related] traffic was coming from google, but as I said, for me, it's not an option right now.

get out there and create a presence. Join a forum that you know a lot about what goes on in there. Start posting. Have people googling YOUR SCREEN NAME rather than trying to google saturated keywords :)

Worked for me...

UnFunded, May 11, 2008 IP
  11. EnPassant

EnPassant Active Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously you're right! Every single idea out there has been made. And you'd spend countless hours trying to find something unique but you could get a good rank in Google quite easier than you describe it in fact, google ranks shake a lot and I bet many, many webmasters have some hundred uniques from search engines, you do not have to be in exact top place.

Secondly, it depends on the user preference. A domaining blog has been made countless times, but yours can stand better than those if you know how to attract your visitors "Attractive layout, updated content, so on.." do all of this then if you still feel its not paying off, I will confess..i am wrong.

EnPassant, May 11, 2008 IP
  12. baybossplaya

baybossplaya Active Member

Best Answers:
    if it was that easy then everyone would be doing it. creativity + hard work is what will make you successful in this game.

baybossplaya, May 11, 2008 IP
  13. zilla510

zilla510 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know a few people that make $30k+ per month. What do they all say? Whenever you start something, stick with it. It takes time and it doesn't happen over night. If you have a full-time job and your website is just a hobby, then stick with it for at least a year and compare where you are to when you first started.

zilla510, May 11, 2008 IP
  14. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you build something truly unique, people will link to you and the need for SE traffic is much less. If you can figure out a unique niche and monetize it, you will be in Forbes magazine. :)

snowbird, May 11, 2008 IP
  15. MarketExpert

MarketExpert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its still possible to grab a first page listing for competitive keywords IN TWO DAYS. You just have to know what your doing.

MarketExpert, May 11, 2008 IP
  16. 6jin-Jing

6jin-Jing Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah but that's the thing. Everyone IS doing it.

I appreciate that it does take time, it's harder now that I'm studying full time...

6jin-Jing, May 11, 2008 IP
  17. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its getting harder but still very possible. more and more people are getting online and finding out ways to market their sites and make money online. internet is a medium where barrier to entry is very minimum or sometimes none. people creating a blog on blogger then do some free marketing can make a few bucks these days. we are now competiting with lot more competitors than we did few years back. just 3-4 years ago i could get a highly competitive KW ranked on google frontpage, sometimes even on top position in as little as 3 months. now it takes me forever to get a competitive site ranked high. link exchange don't work anymore, sitewide links are getting discounted, google is defining neighbourhood these days meaning you just cannot get backlinks from any sites, duplicate content penalty for which you cannot publish the same article on multiple sites, and what not. you just have to be very creative these days and work lot harder. but it is still possible

sultanofseo, May 11, 2008 IP
    poseidon likes this.
  18. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    FaceBook came a long in 2005, Myspace, Freindster already offered Social Networking services. Why did Facebook become a success? Because it was something different, fresh and new. In this game it's all about standing out in the crowd.

clinton, May 12, 2008 IP
  19. beyondelectricdreams

beyondelectricdreams Peon

Best Answers:
    It has absolutely nothing to do with luck, it's all about devotion. SEO is very time consuming and you can't expect your site to rank #1 overnight. It all depends on the niche and how competitive it is. Obviously if you're trying to rank #1 for the keyword "mortgage" you might run into some hard times, but there are a lot of untapped niches out there where the top spots are filled with junk websites that can easily be booted.

In my experience a reasonable amount of time to reach the #1 spot in Google for a relatively competitive niche is anywhere from 3 months to 1 year and that includes a lot of link building and content writing.

SEO is not for everyone, but there are a lot more free methods out there to make money. To each their own.

beyondelectricdreams, May 12, 2008 IP
  20. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
    Many reasons for not doing anything indeed

While people ask themselves should I do something or not, I prefer to continue my hard word and endless creative brainstorming and continue to make money online anyway ;)

Lastbutnotleast, May 12, 2008 IP