1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why US Army kill civilians in IRAQ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by farooqaaa, Apr 30, 2008.

1. swaymedia

swaymedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    an unarmed 8 year old girl is not a civilian?

swaymedia, May 5, 2008 IP
  2. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I take it you have a hard time reading items in order?

GRIM, May 5, 2008 IP
  3. godisgood

godisgood Banned

Best Answers:
    Well I think we may not of understood the balance there was between the two major ethnic groups. The Sunnis and Shiates have been hating each other for many years. Saddam was a Sunni and they were for the most part in power. Sunnis now resent the fact that the government is ran by Shiates.
    Sunnis for generally the ones you hear about in Al Qeada. Shiates are the ones with militias. Put those together and there is one hell of a problem.

Trouble had been brewing for a very long time between the two groups.
    The Kurds up north are relatively peaceful (minus the PKK) and Kurdistan is doing fairly well. They are appreciative of America getting rid of Saddam because he had quite some time making the Kurd's lives a living heck.

Now that I am ranting on. American forces are not too blame for most the deaths. It is very rare that we kill civilians and it is even more of a rare occasion when we kill them in 'revenge' for a bombing nearby.

And GRIM. Nice catch on Swaymedia. I hate when people try to do stuff like that.

godisgood, May 5, 2008 IP
  4. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I understand the rifts between the different groups in Iraq, like him or hate him, Saddam's brutal hold over the country kept much of that in check.

We created a power vacuum which is now being battled over..

GRIM, May 5, 2008 IP
  5. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nonsense.

One of the arguments against leaving, is that it will create chaos and a power vacuum.

Well, who toppled Saddam and created chaos and a power vacuum in the first place?

GRIM and I don't see 100% the same on this stuff, but he really impressed me when he wrote about the blame lying at the least with the government.

Let's not play games. If you support, or refuse to oppose a war by your own country, with your tax dollars, and under your flag and nationality, then you bear some responsibility for the death and destruction.

guerilla, May 5, 2008 IP
  6. godisgood

godisgood Banned

Best Answers:
    I think that is a bit radical. I support the war but I do not believe I am responsible for anybodys death in Iraq.
    Saddam was a tyrant and kept things in check...maybe we should be like a tyrant in Iraq. No that would not be good. Iraqis need to get together and settle their differences. Sadly that may take a while.

7. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nice being a cheerleader on the side lines isn't it? You don't have to feel any responsibility at all ;)

GRIM, May 5, 2008 IP
  8. godisgood

godisgood Banned

Best Answers:
    I believe Iraq and the war is a difficult matter. The war was justified in a lot of ways. I do nothink we were given the proper reasons for the war though. And I do not think enough was put on all of the points. Too much was focused on WMDs when there was so many other legit reasons.

The UN technically should of been in Iraq just for the humanitarian reasons. I do not like the UN because they never act as they should. But no I am not going to take blame for the deaths of Iraqis who cannot get a long.

Yes we in theory stirred the hornets nest in Iraq but at the same time we constantly push them to reconciliation. We try very hard to get them to put differences aside. While Saddam kept things in check he also set the stage for what is now by treating the Shiates and Kurds so badly. Do you blame the Shiates for being resentful to Sunnis?

9. bob50963

bob50963 Peon

Best Answers:
    Aren't we giving Iraq freedom? I don't know anything about the war. But the way I see it I may be wrong. But Saddam was a a-hole. And Iraq had no freedom. There will always be bloodshed for freedom!

bob50963, May 5, 2008 IP
    GRIM likes this.
  10. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    During the war, solider are under great pressure. They face death all the time

when you have someone look suspicious walking close to you, and he doesn't speak you language. What would you do? (there are suicide bomber, even woman)

it is not right, but it is a war, would you let someone kill you or would you pull the trigger

ahkip, May 5, 2008 IP
  11. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In ways there was more 'freedom' during Saddam.

Do not take this the wrong way as I don't intend it to be an insult, but ignorance is bliss.

GRIM, May 5, 2008 IP
  12. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Humanitarian reasons even though we and the UN created much of that? :confused:

The different sects in Iraq do not get along, Saddam or not.

You appear to justify to an extent Iraqi's being killed, I love this reasoning from Pro War supporters. They are able to justify it now, or at least turn a blind eye to it, but always bring up the deaths under Saddam as a reason for war. Not that you specifically have as of yet, but it almost always goes that way.

GRIM, May 5, 2008 IP
  13. bob50963

bob50963 Peon

Best Answers:
    What other way would you like me to take it? Maybe with a happy meal?

bob50963, May 5, 2008 IP
  14. godisgood

godisgood Banned

Best Answers:
    I do not think that is a very accurate statement. I know where you are coming from but I have to disagree with you there. Iraq is in a stage where they could emerge as a very powerful and stable country. They have a surplus of wealth bulding up. Reconstruction of the nation can modernize it and etc etc.

Just need to get the 2 groups to hug instead of blow each other up.

15. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh so I should sugar coat it and just say it's ok to be wrong.

You proved ignorance is bliss which was my point, it was not a direct attack on you, simple statement of what much of the US population is accustomed to.

GRIM, May 5, 2008 IP
  16. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah they look to be doing so good right now don't they? Hell Cuba could be a great country tomorrow if they gave up communism.

GRIM, May 5, 2008 IP
  17. bob50963

bob50963 Peon

Best Answers:
    I also stated I did not know anything about the war. So why would it be ignorance? I'm on this thread to learn.

bob50963, May 5, 2008 IP
  18. godisgood

godisgood Banned

Best Answers:
    Could you explain how we did so? I am going to guess you are referring to the methods to try and get Saddam to comply with international law and all.
    If so...yes we could be blamed for that but again more of the blame would have to go on Saddam. He knew the laws and kept defying them and keeping things secret. When we tried to pressure him he didn't care about his own people and just kept on with his personal agenda and let the common folk deal with the burdens. Exactly the same situation in North Korea today. But that is for another topic and you know what I mean so no need to go into details.

When did I justify their deaths? I explained why they kill each other. But I have not said they had it coming and I never justified it. I said the UN technicaly should of had peace keeping forces and humanitarian aid in Iraq. For me I just list Iraq as another UN failure along with the scores of other failures they have.

And I am anti war. I never support war and have a hard time understanding what drives people to actually be able to pick up a gun. I have yet to be able to understand this on levels such as ww1 or ww2. Humans confuse me. Quite sickening at times.

19. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes to learn now, which is why I stated it as a general statement. It's a good thing to try to learn now, however most people know a bit too late of the situation is my point.
    Ahh yes for whatever reason, however to say the UN should have been there for the humanitarian reasons when we in fact created them no matter the reason we did is kind of backwards and illogical IMO.
    I stated you never did, that is how the convo's usually end up ;)

Perhaps I worded it a bit hard to understand, I can admit that.

I am not anti war, I however am anti Iraq war, how it was carried out and when.

GRIM, May 5, 2008 IP
  20. godisgood

godisgood Banned

Best Answers:
    We did not create the original humanitarian problems. Saddam did that and our sanctions added on to that. But it was Saddam who sat around in his wealth and never cared a bit about his people. I think the UN needs to rethink their methods and actually get serious about things instead of sitting around on their large amounts of money.

And ah alright. My bad. But hey I do not see deaths to be justified so I will clear it up now. If it ever seems I am doing so I am not lol. :) Anyways I am off for the night. Sick and tired. Take care. Hope to catch you later.

GRIM likes this.