1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEDO...let me get this straight

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Webmaster2008, Apr 30, 2008.

1. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    how do you know?

ahkip, May 2, 2008 IP
  2. Webmaster2008

Webmaster2008 Peon

Best Answers:

Does anyone know the final vaue of all the domains they sell in a year?

Lets assume its 100 million. If thats the case they would make 5 MILLION when charging 5% and that of course does not include all the thousands (if not millions) they make on featured listing fees, appraisals ect.

5% of 2.6 million is $130000 b...thats just 1 example (pizza.com). 1 sale and you get over 100 grand. Seems like a pretty good roi to me.

Webmaster2008, May 3, 2008 IP
  3. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    but how do you know they will get more profit if they lower their commission?

ahkip, May 4, 2008 IP
    coderbari likes this.
  4. jingCo

jingCo Active Member

Best Answers:
    They have an first entry advantage like Ebay. Even if someone builds a second Ebay (which many companies have done) it won't succeed because everyone else is using Ebay already.

So even if there is a competitor it won't take much of the share because everyone is using SEDO and is bidding on it. So listing on SEDO will get you a higher bid even after they take the big cut.

jingCo, May 4, 2008 IP
  5. kohashi

kohashi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    im not sure that had that advantage tbh, there have been many platforms (Afternic, GreatDomains) which I think were before Sedo. Sedo isn't even locking up the market. Plenty of players have successful sales venues such as BuyDomains (which ended up buying Afternic).

Selling domains, in my opinion, is having quality domains to begin with, end users choose the domain generally speaking, not the other way around. Sedo has a good model is being the free listing site (also kinda hurts because there is a TON of crap on there) but I guess it comes down to who you are targeting, and people parking on sedo and selling make it that much easier for sedo's services to sell themselves rather than them doing any work.

kohashi, May 5, 2008 IP