1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Relation Between Page rank and traffic

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sherry2008, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    which one is more important while doing link exchange a good Google Page rank or good traffic

I commonly listen people talking about Google page rank and traffic but i cant find a direct relation between them as some websites with lower page rank are at higher positions in search results so please tell me how important is Google page rank for a website and the ways to improve it.

If someone posts a solution, use the "Best Answer" link in their post to pick it as the best answer.
    sherry2008, May 2, 2008 IP
  2. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    Page Rank will not bring in traffic. Essentially, Google just uses that to determine how "important" your site might be. With that said, it doesn't mean that you will be high in the SERP's, it just means that you are likely to be higher if you have several links from higher PR websites. Essentially, Having Page Rank just means your website is more valuable because people will pay more to have links from you to boost their own PR and help them in the Search Engines.

PHPGator, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  3. thor22

thor22 Peon

Best Answers:
    there is no relation. Page rank meains absolutely nothing.

thor22, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  4. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Read my article on Google PR. The only direct relationship it has to traffic is that the more links you have pointing to your site, the better chance you have of drawing in traffic. PR is based on back links so that is the only connection.

To improve PR, you need to build more back links and aim for ones with higher PR. It is great for selling advertising but not much else.

allout, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  5. sherry2008

sherry2008 Guest

Best Answers:
    If the answer lies in above mentioned answer by Allout that
    The only direct relationship it has to traffic is that the more links you have pointing to your site, the better chance you have of drawing in traffic.
    that why people do directory submission as they hardly get no traffic from them.Is directory submission just a fashion and don't have any use.

6. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    It's because many people use Google and the other major search engines to search instead of directories. We're talking a massive scale of economy here. Directories are useful, especially for topical searches, and that's where most of their value is at.

7. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "Is directory submission just a fashion and don't have any use"

You can get free backlinks via directory submission. Directories like Dmoz, Yahoo etc have more value.

The real thing that matters is the traffic, PR will not bring in traffic. You need to have good search results ranking for that.

I have a page with PR3, I have spend 8 months trying to get it to the top of search results for a keyword but it is still way down.

On the other hand, the site thats on the top is only PR1.

So, PR will not bring traffic.

angilina, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  8. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "which one is more important while doing link exchange a good Google Page rank or good traffic"

First of all, I suggest you concentrate on getting one way links rather than link exchanges. Google don't like link exchanges.

Secondly, the answer to your question, depends on why you are doing link exchanges?

If you are doing it to gain a higher PR, then do link exchange with a site with higher PR, traffic not matters.

If you are doing it to get traffic, then off course you do link exchanges with sites with high traffic.

angilina, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  9. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Simply no relation

PR is just a number worthless in my eyes ...

10. petyard

petyard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess 1k out of 13k comments u made here are the same phrase: PR is useless :rolleyes:
    PR is not useless...and there is a correlation between PR and traffic...a higher internal PR for your pages will keep the pages in the main index, set a higher crawl rate and fresher cache dates..

petyard, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
    Dan Schulz likes this.
  11. budhanes

budhanes Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree w3master... I have a low PR site kicking butt and taking names in G, Y and MSN rankings, for competitive terms. Sure, I'd like to have low Alexa and PR of 8, (just for bragging rights) but I dont. Still getting awesome traffic from the SE's with a PR of 1!!! For the record, I found a way to up your Alexa rank on BHW, and I know it will work, but wont even take the time to do it! Same for PR, I know "how" to increase it (backlinks, etc), but I am out for top rankings in SE's for high traffic keywords... I'm glad someone else can come out and say what you said about PR... The fact you have almost 13k posts will give your statement some credibility. Me, having 300 - 400 posts, I'd get blasted like crazy for a statement like that. So now I publicly say it... "PR is a waste of time, sure, its a somewhat valuable "measure", about on par with Alexa rank or Quantcast rank",it has its place for website evaluation, but isn't the "be-all-end-all" that it has been made out to be! I'll take a PR 0 with 2k uniques per day over a PR8 with 50 uniques per day anytime.

budhanes, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  12. budhanes

budhanes Peon

Best Answers:
    Great answer Angilina and PHPGator and thor, even though to the point. Sure, links from relevent sites will increase page rank and some traffic, which is good (traffic). The PR will really do nothing but "indicate" that others are linking to your site, or that you are out working hard to get links. (Forum sigs, directories, exchanges,etc). I have a PR1 site that is in the top 5 results for many highly competitive terms and brings gobs of traffic. PR is not a measure of ranking.

Link exchanges will generate some traffic, but beware of "skimmers". Skimmers are special scripts which will skim a certain amount or traffic trades that you make with the other site. I could easily set up a site and exchange links with you, and send you "fake" traffic. You would link to me, thinking I am sending visitors, meanwhile, your sending me legitimate traffic and I'm sending you garbage automated traffic. It's Spy v/s Spy out here on the web. Be carefull and good luck!

PS- Also, you could exchange links with a site, and they put the old "nofollow" link on, or put you in a "no-crawl" zone. Just be carefull. Its tough out here!

budhanes, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  13. Aryans

Aryans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes there are no relation between them, Page Rank just showing popularity not more then

Aryans, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  14. Loy Maben

Loy Maben Peon

Best Answers:
    PR depends on the quality of your backlinks(how relevant they are to your site)
    Traffic depends on your position in SERPs, bcz if your content is good, Google will give it preference

15. Australianfranchises

Australianfranchises Peon

Best Answers:
    PR just shows how much your site quality is ranked by Google through it's backlinks,
    Traffic is based upon your SERP's rankings on targeted keywords.

16. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Traffic is the best, relevance and quality are second and very far down the road is PR, these days PR does not mean much at all.

jg123, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  17. ernan

ernan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i don't think pr is contributing to traffic. my blog has no pr when i started blogging for about six months but the traffic is high considering that my posts were highly targeted (using high traffic keywords) that can easily be seen in search engine listings. pr is only worth it when you want your site to be updated daily. having high pr means the site will be updated faster compare to low pr sites but not likely will help in increasing web traffic.

ernan, May 2, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  18. puti1

puti1 Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with ernan. PR is just another component of the whole BIG picture of Search Markerting.
    I used to be overly obsessed with it but was told that its a very counter productive kinda behavior.
    Continue building links and contents. The 20/80 rule :)

puti1, May 3, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  19. dpking

dpking Peon

Best Answers:
    PR = Site Trust
    PR is not Traffic !!
    Good Website = Traffic !!

dpking, May 3, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  20. rootinfosolutions

rootinfosolutions Guest

Best Answers:
    PR is like your site's brand value.....a high PR value increases the visibility of the site and thus increase your traffic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.