1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Status on OptiGold re-write?

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by sparklogic, Dec 22, 2005.

1. jxself

jxself Member

Best Answers:
    Another option is this:
    http://www.sisd.com/freeside/

I like that it's totalty open source; so it could be run out of the box or totally customized to fit into any environment and provide any functionality imagined.

Doesn't depend on a closed-source system, to which the author can stop providing updates at any time.

jxself, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  2. john

john Peon

Best Answers:
    Mike, good form or not, I think it is pertinent to everyone involved with OPTI to keep this thread going in this forum, here's why:

No disrespect to Shawn, he built one heck of a billing system that made life easier around here years back, but unfortunately he has decided not to keep up with the times by supporting his own software for whatever personal reasons he may have.

As much as we like to think the latest and greatest is coming…it’s not. Shawn has had several options for dealing with OPTI updates, but it’s looking like out of the four options below #4 is the way it's going down...

1) Release updated software (any platform, any updates, at least updates to the current OPTI).

2) Hire a programmer to do it for him, if he sacrifices one of his 3 swimming pools, that should cover the cost of the new programmer <ducking… >

3) Open it up to us to keep it going.

4) Let OPTI die a slow, painful, and stinky death (the writing’s on the wall here folks).

I've looked at several other programs as we need more than what OPTI is currently able to do, but I'm not looking forward to the transition. We've all learned valuable information on this site, let's not stop now. I value your input, with or without OPTI.

Thanks everyone who has contributed to OPTI and these lists/forums in the past, ultimately we come here to gain valuable insight on how to make our businesses operate better and easier to compete with the big boys and improve our services in general.

I've gained very valuable insight from Mike and others on this forum and the list before, I hate to lose it.

We have currently been looking at Freeside, Modernbill, Agilebill and others, but are hoping for something even better. Keep posting what you find boys!

John

john, Mar 13, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  3. Zack

Zack Guest

Best Answers:
    Zack, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I guess what we really need is to know "IF" anything new is going to come down the pike. If not, we would kinda like to know so we know what direction to go in the future. That's all I am asking really. I'd hate to see DP/OG go the route WS4D did. It was painful getting away from WS4D, but we did over a period of time as the developer went beyond absentee. Another hell of a guy BTW.

Anyway, just would like to know if there is a plan, if so, what and when? If not, no harm. Just need to know.

Thank you.

Mia, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  5. ThomasFox

ThomasFox Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn-

I have the utmost respect for you and the service you've provided my
    companies in the past. You seem to me to be a good guy.

However, the (and this is the only word I can come up with to describe
    it) arrogance you show in your posts on this topic is maddening.

You have tons of loyal customers, who have invested a ton of money
    in your product. Morally, you owe us some response other than
    "when it comes, it comes." We have businesses to run, and need
    more information.

I think the majority of folks will stick with Optigold, if you give us a
    reason to.

On the other hand, if you're just plain-ass done with the ISP sector,
    say so -- and let us move on.

We show you and DP respect when we pay our bills, buy your products,
    and pay for your services. Show us an equal amount of respect by
    giving us a mature, decent and honest answer to the question of the
    future of the product.

Please. And thank you.

--tlf

ThomasFox, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  6. Zack

Zack Guest

Best Answers:
    I would have to second this request, Is there a development even in the works? I think everyone who paid you for your product deserves to know. You have commented before that if dvelopment was ended due to your company going out of buisiness, that it would be released to the public domain, is this correct?

You have many alienated customers right now that deserver a straight forward answer to the development of the php/mysql rewrite you have commited to. We are coming upon where we need another 1000 licenses. I can't recomend we go this route unless I can be assured my money will be well spent, and not in vain. Another 1000 user license would nearly pay for another product entirely, one that has the updated features we have all been promised over a year ago.

Zack, Mar 15, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  7. glidewave

glidewave Guest

Best Answers:
    Pretty much all of us have the same feeling.. It is frustrating and frankly definitely bad business. I've had the exact same thought/feeling for months, hoping for a glimer from DP, but no; tried many times to get a real answer. So as a result, each month we purge our canceled customers from 5 months prior to release licenses for new customers. I have full authority to purchase as needed; but I have/will not buy more licenses for something that isn't going to progress or be supported. Not to mention the curt and terse responses. Seriously, why are we treated this way and what reason is there to stay? I'd rather pay more for the same as long as I know it's going to be progressing with the industry (ie a database that is fast and multiplatform (STABLE, doesn't require certain versions to work), web or other extensible interface, etc)..... but I guess Google Adwords is more interesting..... Heck, if you wanted an optigold billing in a php/msql format within 6-9 months I could have it done with the resources at our company; but my entire contention was why re-invent the wheel and OG will have it done and I'd rather stick with them. But now I've been the idiot thinking we're actually being paid attention to.....we want to expand into other things and I keep putting it off because I keep thinking the "new release" will come... but it's done (as in non-existant)... isn't it....

Jon.

glidewave, Mar 15, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  8. ThomasFox

ThomasFox Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn... we deserve some kind of meaningful response here.

ThomasFox, Mar 16, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  9. glidewave

glidewave Guest

Best Answers:

I believe the response is: "there is no update available" :)

Jon.

glidewave, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  10. Zack

Zack Guest

Best Answers:
    Theres really no hope to this you know. I'm done.:confused:

Zack, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  11. davet

davet Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm starting a thread on my forum so we can collaborate and discuss alternative billing systems to Optigold ISP. Unfortunately the lifetime support that came with our purchase of Optigold seems to be non-existent along with the fictitious re-write.

The thread is at http://forum.interactiveonline.net/showthread.php?p=443

-Dave

davet, Mar 20, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  12. mattopia

mattopia Peon

Best Answers:
    After reading this thread entirely, I feel compelled to tell my experiences thus far.

I recently got out of the "ISP game", and my partner (slash father) is running the ship while we finish up the acquisition. Said company has been using Optigold for about four years now. In that time, we've spent about $4k with DP.

About six months ago, we maxed out our client licenses and placed an order for more. Multiple e-mails and phone calls were necessary to get a call back. Phone calls dumped into voicemail, which started pleasant, but after several days turned into "I WISH TO SPEND MONEY WITH YOUR COMPANY, Please return my call." While we did eventually get the license, we were jipped 100 customers. I tried calling and e-mailing about it, but eventually gave up and decided to save it for another day.

Although I'm out of the ISP game, I still do a bit of hosting and consulting on the side. Freeside just wasn't cutting it for me. Since I knew OG so well, and since the first 100 customers are free, I decided to switch to ole' faithful. I've sent two key requests (from matt // pod six.net) over the past two days and haven't received it yet.

The experiences I mention above are magnified by the fact that when we were first evaluating OptiGold, we had our demo key in a few hours, our questions answered promptly, and our order processed in no time.

Hoping to see if other people were experiencing key delays, I popped in here to see what's up and stumbled across this thread. I must say, I'm a bit worried about the future of OG. It's sad, as it's been a part of my daily life for many years. I hope this isn't "the end".

mattopia, Mar 21, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  13. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    I asked Shawn a while back if there were any programmable either .NET or COM API's as I wanted to see if I could develop any either addons or plugins to OptiGold to spice it up since everyone else has said it is lacking features / modern stuff. I downloaded the 100 license demo and found a lot of things out of date at the first minute I launched it. UI is the style of Windows 95 (on XP) and I am not a fan much of the old Windows 9x look.

I think for a new feature I'd like to see a programmable COM API to interact with OptiGold.

SEO Jeff, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I guess all I want to see is some type of response. As for the GUI, it is much better than anything out there, and while yes, OG is out of date, it's a hell of a lot prettier than Platypus which we are using now for all of our WISP/hosting stuff. I'd much rather give my money to Shawn, but we've seen nothing new. Aside from the cumbersome UI in platy, it offers much more in the way of being able to remotely configure things, ie., scriptable server actions. I would still like to see a MySQL/PHP web based version of OG. Someone throw me a bone here. The silence is defining.

Mia, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  15. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been been thinking of developing a next gen ISP / Hosting Billing software if Shawn does not pro actively maintain OptiGold. Since I am developing already a Web Hosting control panel software for Windows Servers I think the billing software would compliment it greatly. It would be a client/server kind of software with Office 2003 / 12 similar UI on a Windows system. I would end up buying a compiler to compile MSIL code into Java code to make it cross-platform compatible like OptiGold is now. And another feature would be is a COM API to make it fit to your needs. Although you would need a programmer but with an API you can make my software fit to your needs unlike OptiGold as Shawn can only change it for you.

SEO Jeff, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  16. timetochange

timetochange Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its time we all look at reviewing our options of doing a Class Action Suit against Digital Point. We to have spent over $2500.00 on this product and in reviewing our Invoice - it informs us of all the updates that will continue with the product - none have come since our purchase, and we cannot get a response that one is..

Since we have purchased this product we cannot get any support, return phone calls, not to mention the updates that we were promised that never have materialized, or any indication of the status of this product after repeated requests:confused. There are numerous Consumer and Federal laws that protect customers like us who spend this kind of cash only to be dropped like a rock once we have made a purchase.

Your thoughts? :confused:

timetochange, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  17. ThomasFox

ThomasFox Peon

Best Answers:
    My initial reaction is that Shawn would simply reply with the name of his lawyer, something along the lines of:

If you want to sue Digital Point, our attorney's name is XXX and he can be reached at YYY.

He's flip like that -- all the time.

I'd much rather Shawn see the level of frustration among the users, and say here's where we're at. At least some kind of monthly update that said "this is what's done" -- he wouldn't even have to promise a delivery date, just SOME kind of update.

I suspect that won't be forthcoming, so sure, let's sue the hell out of him. I doubt he'd even care, to be honest. He sure doesn't seem to care so far.

ThomasFox, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  18. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sorry about the lack of response to this thread. I wasn't reading it until I just now got a PM to bring it to my attention...

• The rewrite is still being worked on (in fact it's currently undergoing a core framework rewrite already).

• There is no timeframe, nor will there be a timeframe (sorry).

• The existing (FileMaker) version of Optigold ISP is still active. The lack of upgrades/releases is primarily due to a lack of bug reports for it/feature requests for it.

• The FileMaker version is the only version of Optigold that exists (i.e. no one was sold a PHP/MySQL version).

• For those unable to receive phone support, do you have a phone support contract (if so, please let me know)? Phone support issues are handled and resolved hourly.

• If you need something that Optigold ISP doesn't do now, the best thing to do is either put in a feature request for whatever it is or check out products that would suit your needs now. It would be foolish for anyone to sit idle waiting for the rewrite when there is no timeframe on it.
    I wish I could give a specific timeframe, but unfortunately I can't. Ultimately the existing FileMaker based version of Optigold is the only version that is out right now, and feature requests/bug reports are still welcome for it.

digitalpoint, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  19. ThomasFox

ThomasFox Peon

Best Answers:
    ::faints::

ThomasFox, Mar 30, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  20. sparklogic

sparklogic Peon

Best Answers:

• Thanks for responding to this thread, although I find it a little troubling that you aren't reading high profile threads on the official OptiGold support forum. Anyway, since you say the rewrite is still being worked on, a few questions:

- Is there a alpha/beta testers program?
      - Could you share a basic roadmap/feature list for the new product?
      - Are any licensing policies going to change with the release of the new product?
      - Got any screenshots to share to reassure us this isn't vaporware? :)

sparklogic, Mar 30, 2006 IP