1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The official: my ringtone conversions are great/terrible right now thread

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by dlm, Apr 21, 2008.

Ringtone conversions vary wildly for me....apparently for no reason I can determine. Last month was great, most of this month has been terrible. Same traffic quality (as far as I can tell) but conversions have been about 1/2 of normal levels this month.

I've always wondered if this is just me...or a industry-wide issue.

So basically, when your ringtone conversions are particularly good or particularly bad, please make a quick post about it.

I'll start: running Dada and Thumbplay offers at Azoogle, my conversions were below average during the first 2 weeks this month and have been downright horrible over the last week.

dlm, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  2. PoorGuy

PoorGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    Same here but I just started doing ringtones 2 months ago. But it was pretty good last month, this month sucks.

My AM told me to start investing in other niches and don't focus too much on ringtones...

Btw, are you using adwords? if yes, are you using Google compliant page? I'm not, so I'm at risk of getting my campaigns suspended...

PoorGuy, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  3. killafawk

killafawk Active Member

Best Answers:
    today was great for me, got close to 3:1 on my money.

killafawk, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  4. webgenesis

webgenesis Peon

Best Answers:
    That is GOOD advice... keep ur ringtones campaigns the way they are if they are working and making you $$$ and don't change it or mess around with it too much... or you risk Google suspending your ringtones campaigns until you do their changes.

But seriously, now is the time to invest and diversify into other campaigns. Don't wait until Google forces you to because they paused your ringtones campaigns.

webgenesis, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  5. dlm

dlm Peon

Best Answers:
    Over the last week my conversion ratio has dropped to about 1:50

That is a joke. I'm switching away from Azoogle now. Same quality traffic, same sources as before. I used to convert 1:15....anyone else having similar issues (with both Thumbplay and Dada offers from Azoogle)?

dlm, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  6. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm

I thought it was me but I don't think the good days bad days thing is limited just to ringtones..

I did one of the $250.00 gift card offers and on the first Sunday of the month it slammed......

Since then I lost too much to count and not want to cry......

I can't figure out why it did great one day and sucked the rest.....:confused:

Sem-Advance, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  7. dlm

dlm Peon

Best Answers:
    But it's not even been a good day / bad day scenario. I've had months of consistent conversions. Some weeks were better, some worse, but I've been doing this nearly 1 year and never had such a terrible month.

I also recognize ringtones are slowly on the way down, but I expected it would take more than 1 month for them to complete disintegrate. It comes down to 1 of 3 sources:

1) worse traffic - always possible, but as I said, as far as I know the quality/targeting is the same

2) Azoogle issue - maybe they aren't counting leads properly?

3) Ringtone provider issue - most likely, but I have no idea why people stopped signing up or Thumbplay and Dada stopped reporting properly

dlm, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  8. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Hmm that could drive one crazy too .......

Don't ringtones however cost money eventually? Given the current USA recession / foreclosure / huge gas price total Bush bankruptcy be playing on the minds of the end user or their parents?

Which is why I was thinking the card offers saving people money would slam for a while.....:confused:

Internet marketing changes no matter what we want it seems

Best wishes.....:)

Sem-Advance, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  9. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If your current offers aren't working, then test new ones...This is nothing new, particularly in the world of ringtones

I think the Dada offer page changed a little bit recently - It mentions mp3s, iPods, and some other stuff. It's also the end of the month, and ringtone conversions are notorious for dropping near the end of the month.

Personally, I run Dada at Azoogle, and conversions may have been down a little bit towards the middle of April, but nothing big...and they've since gone back up.

GTAce, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  10. dlm

dlm Peon

Best Answers:
    Believe me...I tried Dada, Thumbplay, FlyCell, TickTockTones, Blinko, NewBreed (or whatever its called). Nothing has worked at all. Today I sent 60 visitors to the usually reliable Thumbplay offer and made $1.50 total (thanks to a social network geo redirect).

I actually switched over to PrimaryAds for the rest of the day, and managed 8 leads on about 120 visitors...which is solid. Who knows if that will continue though.

dlm, May 1, 2008 IP
  11. jasonbrown225

jasonbrown225 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you Josh. I promote various ringtone offers and my conversions have dropped from a steady 10% down to 2%. I haven't changed a thing in terms of traffic, landing pages, etc. For example, today I sent 102 clicks to my best converting offer and saw a lousy 3 conversions. Guess we will just have to see if it continues -- I certainly hope not!

jasonbrown225, May 1, 2008 IP
  12. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Are you guys focusing on strictly ringtones??

I think if you can make a run of it with ringtones, and are making money, you could pick most any offer and make it work for you....

I can get a bunch of offers to work.... but never been able to get ringtones into the red.....

Sem-Advance, May 1, 2008 IP
  13. jasonbrown225

jasonbrown225 Peon

Best Answers:
    No. Ringtones make up 10% of my campaigns.

jasonbrown225, May 1, 2008 IP
  14. BrianJump

BrianJump Active Member

Best Answers:
    Competition in ringtones is fierce, and I think we are getting near saturation...just look at the ads in yahoo and google to get an idea of the quality etc..many lps are poor yet they are bidding the clicks WAAY up...
    Ive seen over 100 clicks, 1/3 of which go to the offer page, and about 1-2 are converting a day.
    I would love to see how people are making 5-6 figs a month NOW with what is going on...its not rocket science...there are only so many KW for ringtones, so many places you can get traffic from and so many aff offers for ringtones...so ...might be time to check out some new offers..

BrianJump, May 1, 2008 IP
  15. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, i thought ringtones were so 2004, I guess there still is a huge market for this.

SFOD_D223, May 1, 2008 IP
  16. thetruth

thetruth Peon

Best Answers:
    Stated - I promote various ringtone offers and my conversions have dropped from a steady 10% down to 2%. I haven't changed a thing in terms of traffic, landing pages, etc. For example, today I sent 102 clicks to my best converting offer and saw a lousy 3 conversions.

There's only one explanation is possible IF all stated is true.
    Azoogle pockets the conversions.

thetruth, May 2, 2008 IP
  17. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    I think another part of your problem with ringtones is you are competing against the advertiser themselves.

Thumbplay for example is slamming television advertising now, basically cutting affiliate profits.....

Also does anyone do demographic charting...college kids out of school going home and not online anymore could cause sales loss.

Sem-Advance, May 2, 2008 IP
  18. thetruth

thetruth Peon

Best Answers:
    If your traffic quantity and quality is the same, then there is 1 Explanantion.

If you traffic quantity or quality has changed then multiple explanations are possible.

thetruth, May 2, 2008 IP
  19. dlm

dlm Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way, I don't use PPC. All my ringtone traffic is free. I'm not going to give out secrets...but there are other ways to get ringtone traffic than through Google/Yahoo.

dlm, May 2, 2008 IP